Show us your Tint...

Nice.

I got 18 put on everywhere and 50 on the windshield. I am pretty sure I love it and when I get my ride back I will post a pic. It doesn't look really that illegal, in direct sun I can still see my seats and dash, but the back windows are darker with the 18 over factory and they are pretty dark. 18 was recommended by my tint guy as being technically illegal, but too close to call to get harassed, especially in my "girl car"... I have never heard of tinting the windshield but the 50 is awesome, it makes a world of difference and he said it will greatly help out with the heat.

20% on the front to match the rear.

20130818_101939_zpsd7f86066.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, so just to be clear, ALL of the rear glass is factory tinted at ~25%.
The front two, of course, are NOT factory tinted.
Is this correct?

My dealer sales invoice listed a $500 charge for window tint, at the time of purchase. Seeing as my two front windows are NOT tinted (beyond factory 90% or whatever it is), I am trying to figure out exactly what they are claiming to have tinted.

Does Mazda tint only the rear lift gate glass and the two small rear windows (behind passenger windows). Because, if I paid $500 to have two windows tinted, I am going to s*** a brick.

My dealer sales invoice listed a $500 charge for window tint, at the time of purchase. Seeing as my two front windows are NOT tinted (beyond factory 90% or whatever it is), I am trying to figure out exactly what they are claiming to have tinted.

Does Mazda tint only the rear lift gate glass and the two small rear windows (behind passenger windows). Because, if I paid $500 to have two windows tinted, I am going to s*** a brick.
Yes, the Touring & GT come with factory tinted glass.
Sorry...

I have a 2014 Touring on order and am interested in what is tinted and what percentage from the factory? I'm also surprised that any tinting on the windshield is legal.

When I suggest the factory tints their glass, I mean privacy glass. There is no overlay adhered to the glass. The tint in made into the glass.

And @MATR6, you are confirming Touring and GT trim CX-5s arrive with privacy glass in the rear windows and lift gate?

If that is the case, I must find a COA for having this charge credited back to me.

When I suggest the factory tints their glass, I mean privacy glass. There is no overlay adhered to the glass. The tint in made into the glass.

And @MATR6, you are confirming Touring and GT trim CX-5s arrive with privacy glass in the rear windows and lift gate?

If that is the case, I must find a COA for having this charge credited back to me.
Yes, my cousin bought a Touring, came with back windows tinted & my GT also.
I put 32% tint on the front 2 windows.

@IHeartGroceries, bought my 2014 Touring last June and all windows behind the driver are tinted with no extra charge. I assume factory.

I live in MA where the law is 35% reflective and 35% VLT net (window plus film) on all windows except the windshield which can be tinted in the top 6". If the factory tint is ~25%, that would be illegal in MA so how could they possibly be sold that way?

35% 3M Color Stable tint on 2 fronts, complements the darker (closer to 20%) factory rear privacy tint on GT. CX left front.JPG

Very precisely cut/done by hand (computer cut wasn't available in March 2012), price $100.

I have a 2014 Touring on order and am interested in what is tinted and what percentage from the factory? I'm also surprised that any tinting on the windshield is legal.
Finally pulled the trigger eh, er? All windows on Touring and GT except windshield and front doors are tinted in the 22% range. I used 35% on the front doors and it does a good job while coming close enough in appearance to the backs to satisfy me.

@IHeartGroceries, bought my 2014 Touring last June and all windows behind the driver are tinted with no extra charge. I assume factory.

I live in MA where the law is 35% reflective and 35% VLT net (window plus film) on all windows except the windshield which can be tinted in the top 6". If the factory tint is ~25%, that would be illegal in MA so how could they possibly be sold that way?

MA law regarding 35% doesn't cover the windows behind the driver. As IHeartGroceries mentioned, all windows (except for windshield and 2 front sides) were tinted by factory. The factory rear privacy glass is about 20-22% and is legal based on federal regulations for light truck/SUV and is sold that way in all states.

I put 55% on fronts which combined with factory installed glass came out to be exactly 35% legal limit, tested actual light test tool. Think they mentioned that factory glass is about 77% to start off with.

MA law regarding 35% doesn't cover the windows behind the driver. As IHeartGroceries mentioned, all windows (except for windshield and 2 front sides) were tinted by factory. The factory rear privacy glass is about 20-22% and is legal based on federal regulations for light truck/SUV and is sold that way in all states.
Not true. Here is the part of the relevant law

(4) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material or window application which has a total visible light reflectance of not more than thirty-five per cent or a visible light transmittance of not less than thirty-five per cent on the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operators seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operators seat and the front passenger seat or on the rear window if the vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

Not true. Here is the part of the relevant law

(4) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material or window application which has a total visible light reflectance of not more than thirty-five per cent or a visible light transmittance of not less than thirty-five per cent on the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operator’s seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator’s seat and the front passenger seat or on the rear window if the vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

Not true, not enforced, since all SUV-type vehicles is last decades have side and rear view mirrors, including the Mazda CX-5 (vehicle in topic). Therefore not relevant law, probably still have some laws on MA books dating back to horse and buggy days.

And the proof is thousands of SUVs sold in state of MA every year meeting federal regulations that have dark privacy glass (20-22% visible light transmittance) on both side rear windows and back windows.

Are you actually concerned about a factory-equipped unmodified CX-5 Touring and/or CX-5 GT not being in compliance in MA? I would not be.

Last edited:
Not true, not enforced, since all SUV-type vehicles is last decades have side and rear view mirrors, including the Mazda CX-5 (topic). Therefore not relevant law, probably still have some laws on MA books dating back to horse and buggy days.
You are still wrong. That is why I linked to the entire law. Go read the whole thing. The law disallows any tinting whatsoever except if you have the two mirrors then you can tint to 35%. Why do you persist in being wrong?

It may well not be enforced on the road but I was puzzled by the fact that the dealers are allowed to sell vehicles that violate the law if the factory tint is indeed ~25%. Thus the reason for my question. I was just hoping that people who responded knew what they were talking about.

And the proof is thousands of SUVs sold in state of MA every year meeting federal regulations that have dark privacy glass on both side rear windows and back windows.

I was asking about state law.

Are you actually concerned about a factory-equipped unmodified CX-5 Touring and/or CX-5 GT not being in compliance in MA? I would not be.
No, I am not concerned about my unmodified CX-5. I was researching tints for my front windows and checked relevant law for my state. Both the law and several tint sites stated that for MA it was 35% for all windows (except windshield and I guess windows after those immediately behind the operator) as I originally stated. And that piqued my curiosity when others were stating the 25% factory tint. I searched around and could not find a spec from Mazda on this.

You are still wrong. That is why I linked to the entire law. Go read the whole thing. The law disallows any tinting whatsoever except if you have the two mirrors then you can tint to 35%. Why do you persist in being wrong?

It may well not be enforced on the road but I was puzzled by the fact that the dealers are allowed to sell vehicles that violate the law if the factory tint is indeed ~25%. Thus the reason for my question. I was just hoping that people who responded knew what they were talking about.

I was asking about state law.

No, I am not concerned about my unmodified CX-5. I was researching tints for my front windows and checked relevant law for my state. Both the law and several tint sites stated that for MA it was 35% for all windows (except windshield and I guess windows after those immediately behind the operator) as I originally stated. And that piqued my curiosity when others were stating the 25% factory tint. I searched around and could not find a spec from Mazda on this.

. Sorry, but you are still not correct, it's just your misinterpretation and misapplication of some archaic and poorly written MA law, intended to regulate aftermarket installations. Not sure why you persist in reading the law this way, when thousands of compliant SUVs are sold in the state of MA annually. I'm confident that Mazda (and Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Kia, Hyundai, Range Rover) who have sold tens of thousands of SUVs in MA with rear privacy glass darker than 35% are not breaking any laws in any state including MA.

. You don't need the Mazda spec to determine the exactly darkness of the factory rear tint (nor will you find it published). It can be reasonably estimated with a meter, as used by law enforcement in some jurisdictions and by some tint shops.

. Obviously to those experienced with tint, the factory privacy rear glass is darker than 35%, whether it's 20%, 22%, 24%, 25% it varies with make/model of SUV and variations in the instrument used for testing. The factory tint is not removable.

. Agreed, the real concern is how dark to go on the 2 front windows, to minimize unwanted attention from local law enforcement.

Note: Many of the us including several mazdas247 members here have several years of experience with a good understanding of automotive tint and have had several past and present vehicles tinted with success. You will find plenty of people that replied that (as you said) "know what they are talking about" on this subject matter since that is what you claim to be hoping for.

btw-the 35% tint that many of us installed on our 2 front windows is signicantly lighter than the factory rear privacy tint.

One of the members here who "knows what he's talking about" (rideandslide of CO) posted on 8/6/13 that his installer used meter on the factory rear tint and it measured 25%

Last edited:
Back