Potential first-time 6 owner, a few questions (04 wagon)

euro1990

:
2004 Mazda MPV ES
Greetings, long time reader, first time poster. Current owner of a 2004 MPV (wife's car), looking to get a 2004 6 wagon for myself. Of course, as when I always choose a "new" used car for myself, it has to be very specific, and always something very rare. So this time I've chosen the 6 wagon with sport package and manual trans.

I found a pretty nice looking one at a dealer about 75 miles from me, so before I make the drive to see it in person, I thought I'd post here to get some advice on what to look for in a 6 with V6 and manual trans. Here's all I know about the particular car for sale:

168k miles
1-owner (per carfax)
passed emissions at 160k (per carfax)

p1835521217-4.jpg

p1750162518-4.jpg

Those all seem like good things, except the relatively high 168k miles. But I'm pretty handy with a wrench, so miles don't scare me. Our MPV has 155k and runs great. Seems the Ford Duratech 3.0 is pretty solid. However, our MPV has a timing cover oil leak that I need to get to one of these days, and that job looks like a real PITA. I assume the 6 is no less prone to that leak? I've heard of the fan controller issues (had to replace the controller in the MPV when we got it last year), so hopefully this one doesn't need it replaced, but at least I have experience if it does.

Well, thanks for any advice, I look forward to hopefully becoming a 6 owner soon, and getting back to shifting my own gears.

James
Chicago

Latest posts

Back