Manual Transmission Hill Start Assist?

cmfireman

:
2014 Mazda 6 Sport
I have been driving a manual for 11 years now, and find the Hill Start Assist function on my 2014 Sport to be annoying at the very least. I stalled the car twice when I first got it because of the HSA holding the brakes too hard and too long after I was on the throttle.

Does anybody else dislike this feature? It seems like a crutch for people that can't properly drive a manual.

Also, does anyone know if it can be disabled? It seems like a liability to me because both times I stalled I was at a stop light on a hill and there were cars behind me both times. I was lucky they noticed I started moving slowly then stopped.

Now when I see the light turn green I just let off the brake and wait two seconds before I take off.

I have been driving a manual for 11 years now, and find the Hill Start Assist function on my 2014 Sport to be annoying at the very least. I stalled the car twice when I first got it because of the HSA holding the brakes too hard and too long after I was on the throttle.

Does anybody else dislike this feature? It seems like a crutch for people that can't properly drive a manual.

Also, does anyone know if it can be disabled? It seems like a liability to me because both times I stalled I was at a stop light on a hill and there were cars behind me both times. I was lucky they noticed I started moving slowly then stopped.

Now when I see the light turn green I just let off the brake and wait two seconds before I take off.

< Mine holds so briefly that it is barely noticeable. I have no complaints. Seems like it would be programmable. Maybe the dealer can modify?

Yea, I'll check with them. Mine holds for about ~3 seconds and when I apply throttle it doesn't seem to let up.

i don't have a manual but surprisingly the 6AT also comes with this function, lol

The Nissan GT-R also has it (and it comes only in AT). I bet my mom would have loved the HSA, she ran out of clutches until my dad gave up and got her ATs

It would be great if it would have a disable button, like the VSA or alikes

Back