Has Anyone Added Bluetooth To Mazda 5 Sport

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 2013 Mazda 5 Sport. The only thing that's stopping me is the lack of Bluetooth integration for hands free calling. Bluetooth is standard in the Touring and Grand Touring models, but those models are only available with automatic transmissions and I really want a manual transmission. I won't want to use a Bluetooth headset/earpiece. We have a Jabra CRUISER 2 Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone in one of our cars and the quality is very poor. We're hoping to find something that integrates with the car's speakers and has high quality microphones.

Has anyone out there added a Parrot MKi 9200 or similar aftermarket Bluetooth hands free solution to their late model Mazda 5? If so, how did it go? Were you happy with the results? Can you recommend a specific model?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer,

Oliver

Agreed that one of the Five's weak points is the rigidity of option packages.

Is the speaker thing you mention similar to the add-on Bluetooth doodad Mazda lists in their accessories catalog?

Also agree on the limited packaging options from Mazda...

IMO, the Parrot kit is not worth the cost. A key feature to Bluetooth is integration. The Parrot is still an external system. It is much better to have a capable HU that integrates Bluetooth with your audio. If you are listing to your music, you'd want the incoming call or Google maps turn by turn to softly mute/interrupt your music so you can take the car or hear the announcement for the upcoming turn. It should be seamless.

You can get replacement single DIN aftermarket HU with Bluetooth for pretty cheap. This also solves the audio issue with the wimp amp and SQ of stock HU. OR, you can probably look on eBay or even post a WTB to see if any '13 Touring/GT owners wants to upgrade their HU. This might cost more and you may need some parts.

BTW, can anyone here comment on the Bluetooth feature on the new cars? The Bluetooth feature on the <’10 is a joke. It does not support AD2P and quality is pathetic...

I intended to add bluetooth to mine, but instead, I just bought a used Tom Tom GPS that has bluetooth capabilities. I can set it to send the sound to my radio speakers or use the internal speaker. It picks up phone calls automatically for me and the sound quality is clear. It was only $49, which was a lot less than I saw being charged for stand alone bluetooth options, plus, I get a GPS out of it.

BTW, can anyone here comment on the Bluetooth feature on the new cars? The Bluetooth feature on the <10 is a joke. It does not support AD2P and quality is pathetic...

If this is what you have in mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile#Advanced_Audio_Distribution_Profile_.28A2DP.29

then yes, my '12 Touring does that and it works fine. Sound quality is better from my area NPR station, but I don't recall the Bluetooth sounding substantially worse than playing the CD deck (which I haven't done in a while since Bluetooth streaming is so absurdly convenient).

Back