is the CX-5 a feminine car?

Who is the priamary driver of your CX-5

• Total voters
From the CX-5's I've seen around I'd say 60-70% were driven by women. But I did have two young guys pass me in a Black Touring the other day when I was making a right out of my complex and they gave me a little honk of the horn and thumbs up as they passed.

I had a similar thing happen on IH-35 on an afternoon drive from Austin to Waco, a black CX-5 pulled up behind me, the guy honked and gave me the "what's up" head shake.

Wait... So you're a beautiful buxom blonde?

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

But of course this thread is light-hearted, (with OP trying to pick his vehicle to enhance manliness, based on opinion of others).

sxa certainly brought up a good observation, the CRV being the top "mommy-mobile" in this class, it's probably easy to find many that agree with that.

This is mainly my wife's car but I proudly drive it on the weekends. The car is more masculine than your Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape and not for the elderly like the Honda CR-V or for the teenage beginner drivers like the Toyota Rav4.

This is mainly my wife's car but I proudly drive it on the weekends. The car is more masculine than your Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape and not for the elderly like the Honda CR-V or for the teenage beginner drivers like the Toyota Rav4.

What I see driving around the Rogue and Murano are mainly women. I actually do see a lot of men in the Ford Escape (one of my friends from grade school and I got together for drinks awhile ago and he had one, while I think it is a bit ugly on the outside it isn't too bad on the inside).

In the end though, I think it is good for people to buy what they like.

It's a 'cross dressing' car (cabpatch) I have seen even number of male and female drivers in it.

Maybe if a guy was driving one with a white fluffy poodle in it then I may start questioning... :p

I was in traffic the other night, the car besides me was a CX-5, the car in front was a CX-5 and then there was me. So two guys n the other two and me (female) in mine.

It's metro and favored by a wide variety of both feminine and manly types.

I think one of the reasons the CX-5 has been so popular is that it really appeals to both sexes. Personally when I look at the Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV I think "mommy-mobile". No doubt men drive them but I get the vibe they were designed to be cross-overs for families and most families I know where they have a family vehicle the mom drives the family car and Dad has something else (I am from Texas so that usually means the dad is driving some big gas guzzling truck).

I tend to agree. I think I'd feel like a dad driving a mini van in the CRV or RAV4. Luckily my wife who couldn't care less about cars had this crazy obsession with the CX5. It was so uncharacteristic that I actually surprised her and bought it for her behind her back with 100% confidence. I think it may have gotten me husband of the year for this year and next...sorry fellas. :)

However even though it is for my wife I wouldn't and don't feel odd driving this thing at all. There are a lot of bubbly and goofy small SUVs out there. This isn't one of them.

From the CX-5's I've seen around I'd say 60-70% were driven by women. But I did have two young guys pass me in a Black Touring the other day when I was making a right out of my complex and they gave me a little honk of the horn and thumbs up as they passed.
Maybe they thought you were cute ;). Lel j/k. I think the changes I've made make mine look more aggressive, the few that I've noticed the drivers in, only one was a younger person (lady probably younger than me, I'm 24) in a sport, most seem to be 35+, males and in sports or touring around here.

I didn't vote.

But, I will say I believe mostly women will drive the CX-5, or as in my situation, it is a shared family vehicle, which the wife predominantly drives.
However, it is similar to the MX-5, in that it really isn't a woman's car. I'll explain - there's a common misconception that the Miata is a woman's car, when actually, it is the pinnacle of automotive sports engineering. It is a driver's car. Just because women take to them (I assume because they are small, cute and a "convertible"), doesn't mean that they fully understand what they are driving, or its full potential. The CX-5 is somewhat similar...Mazda poured their love of driving experience into the design and engineering of the CX-5. Not to take a prejudiced position, but realistically, that is not something most women care about.

"Pinnacle of automotive sports engineering". I'd like to make a one time offer, only good today, to take that comment back.

As a soon to be CX-5 owner, I have watched somewhere around 100 YouTube reviews and comparison tests. I'm not obsessive or anything.
Somewhere along the way, I heard one of the reviewers say that like all compact crossovers, they expect about 80% of the drivers to be women.

That kind of surprised me since the CX-5 is know primarily as a 'drivers car' and loses out in practicality in terms of storage space and mileage to some of it's rivals.
I would think that most women looking for a kid hauler would be more concerned with practicality than fun. But I guess I'm wrong about them. Again.

So I decided to try to keep track of the number of male / female CX-5 drivers I stumbled across on my commute.

So far it's:
Women 12
Men 3

So that is spot on with the YouTuber's prediction.

Not that I care. I'm not what you would call an image driver. I don't see my car as a reflection of me as a person although it could be said it is a reflection of my decision making ability.

My cousin from Poland was shocked to find out how little I paid for my CX-5. (my CX-5 cost me 22780 OTD including financing costs, while in Poland a base model CX-5 is ~30k)

So, I went over to the Mazda Poland website to check out the pricing, and I stumbled upon a couple of awards that the CX-5 won in Poland:

"Samochd dla Dziewczyny Playboya 2012, Playboy"
Which translates to:
"Car for Playgirl, Playboy Magazine 2012"

and

Kobiecy Samochd Roku 2012, Twj Styl
which translates to:
"Woman's car of the year 2012, Your Style Magazine"

source:
http://www.mazda.pl/showroom/cx-5/nagrody/

As a 26YO male, should I be concerned that people are going to make fun of me driving such a feminine car!? Should I trade it in for something more manly?

(jk.. I love my CX-5 and don't care at all if it won some awards in Poland)

It's a chic vehicle, and if you derive ego from your vehicle, it is a terrible choice. If you are more interested in function over ego, then it remains very solid.

I never considered the CX5 to be a female oriented vehicle but a common example is that if you have a two vehicle household, the wife usually drives the nicer or the safer one.

Way to thread necro guys :p

Meh. I love mine. I bought it when I was 22 (I am 27 now). And yes, male. In fact, in 2 days will be the 5 year anniversary from when I bought mine.

I don't get caught up with the whole "feminine" car thing. If you thing of the "macho" muscle cars from the 60's-70's....what do we call them? We call them "She" as in She's a beauty.

I don't get caught up with the whole "feminine" car thing. If you thing of the "macho" muscle cars from the 60's-70's....what do we call them? We call them "She" as in She's a beauty.

Some of the best, most timeless car designs in history are considered 'feminine' (think classic Jaguar F-type).

I find that men who feel the need to - *ahem* compensate - by driving supposedly 'masculine' vehicle like lifted trucks/Hummers (that usually never see even pedestrian dirt roads) or 'manly' Mustangs etc and scoff at 'girly' cars like Miatas, Caymans (and yes CX5s) aren't particularly worth the time or effort (rlaugh)

Back