Sho's 2007 MS3

I don't understand how a virtual dyno works? Where do these numbers come from...

New wheels?! I want to see.

I don't understand how a virtual dyno works? Where do these numbers come from...

New wheels?! I want to see.

Its got some fancy logic that takes all the data from the data log (wide open in 4th from 3krpm-redline) and converts it to wheel horsepower based on what gear youre in, tire size, occupant weight, etc. Its not 100% accurate, but usually within 2-3% of real world #'s.

pictars of new wheelz? why m247 no haz?
Ill post some pics later today, Will and Patrick!

How much data confirms the 2-3% variance versus real world? My software developer brain says BS. Way, way, way too many variables in real world logging to accurately account for without a tremendous amount of logic/code.

But as a baseline, rough idea, I suppose it works.

How much data confirms the 2-3% variance versus real world? My software developer brain says BS. Way, way, way too many variables in real world logging to accurately account for without a tremendous amount of logic/code.

But as a baseline, rough idea, I suppose it works.

For sure. Taking a log going downhill will greatly skew the #'s, as will uphill.

I know a lot of the guys use VDyno as a baseline and then compare to real dyno and its fairly close to dynojet #'s. A while back, Pringles shared a vdyno plot with a few of us on FB before he went on hiatus that was very close to the 533/436 he put down at a dyno day.
We'll see though. Once im done with my tune, ill do a comparison between what vdyno says and then find a shop with a dyno to do 3 pulls.

Nice, I'll be interested to see what happens.

WillD, even dyno's can vary significantly from one to the next. With the right correction factor, VDyno can get close to the real world, but, more importantly as a tuning tool, it's repeatable. If you log on the same stretch consistently, and feed those numbers in, VD will give you a baseline and a good idea what the results of your mods are.

The purpose of testing is to eliminate as many variables as possible so that is repeatable from one test to the next. Are you going to make a dyno pull, make a tuning adjustment, then drive to a different dyno for the next pull/adjustment? No, that's stupid. But in a way that's what you're doing with a vdyno.

The nature of a virtual dyno is going to introduce a bunch of variables that you have no control over. You could absolutely use the same stretch of road every time, but a simple change in wind direction, temperature, or surface adhesion (caused by road grime, moisture changes, oils, etc), among other factors could effect your results.

I'm not saying that it isn't an effective tool, it can be. I was simply saying that it is introducing a lot of variables or items that are left up to the user which is best avoided whenever possible.

Will, here's the new wheels

DSC03646_zpsjlouwray.jpg

DSC03639_zpsh1bx4sma.jpg

0306141003a_zpsir5zshf8.jpg

Oh yeah I saw those on Facebook. Very purdy.

How the hell was I not subscribed to this already???

How the hell was I not subscribed to this already???

A little slow on the uptake Meatball Boy? Now the the Abarth, Meatballs has a whole new meaning! The Great Phendini has come full circle! I think we may do The Mitty, you down?

A little slow on the uptake Meatball Boy? Now the the Abarth, Meatballs has a whole new meaning! The Great Phendini has come full circle! I think we may do The Mitty, you down?

Depends. If the MSM is sold and I have the coin, I'm down.

Orange on the silver looks good.

He gave you tint. I am getting mine fixed and a few other touches and Jennifer is getting her car done too. If we all go we get a deal

He gave you tint. I am getting mine fixed and a few other touches and Jennifer is getting her car done too. If we all go we get a deal

Let the guy know that you have access to a number of people who need tinting, either new ot replacement and see how much of a discount he will give us.

Back