Disconnecting headlight

jayzoomz

:
Mazda 5
Hi,

I am having real trouble disconnecting a headlight wire so I can take the headlight out to bake it. Here is a picture of it:

20130723_180107.jpg

I am worried about pulling it too hard that I break - is there a technique to getting this apart?

Thanks

Jay

From the picture, looks like you have tried to pry the catch loose with a screw driver. It may be stuck, try pushing the 2 half of the connector together and at the same time push on the tab to free it up. Good luck.

that tab on the right side of the picture is there to be pushed down, while pulling the connector apart. looks like you were actually pushing the connector tab closed, which is why it wouldn't come apart.

Hi,

I am having real trouble disconnecting a headlight wire so I can take the headlight out to bake it. Here is a picture of it:

20130723_180107.jpg

I am worried about pulling it too hard that I break - is there a technique to getting this apart?

Thanks

Jay

Thank you all so much for your help. I have now managed to disconnect ready to bake so I can take it apart and clean the lens inside. Must seem such a newbie question!!

LOL. At least there's no doubt it WILL get them apart.

@ OP - glad you figured it out. When it comes to harnesses, try this trick. I have never come across a harness that I cannot easily remove using two flat tip screwdrivers (unless I can’t reach it). The idea is to use the tool to work for you.

remove3.jpg
Using two screwdrivers, insert the 1st to push against the release clip, insert the 2nd one right into where the clip meets the base. Use a slight twisting motion with the 2nd screw driver to separate the two. OR you can hold the harness in hand and press the relesae clip with your finger and use the screwevier to 'twist' them apart. It comes off without a fight everytime. Avoids the risk of breaking the locking clip from trying to pinch too hard or yanking too hard with your hands.

LOL. At least there's no doubt it WILL get them apart.

@ OP - glad you figured it out. When it comes to harnesses, try this trick. I have never come across a harness that I cannot easily remove using two flat tip screwdrivers (unless I can’t reach it). The idea is to use the tool to work for you.

remove3.jpg
Using two screwdrivers, insert the 1st to push against the release clip, insert the 2nd one right into where the clip meets the base. Use a slight twisting motion with the 2nd screw driver to separate the two. OR you can hold the harness in hand and press the relesae clip with your finger and use the screwevier to 'twist' them apart. It comes off without a fight everytime. Avoids the risk of breaking the locking clip from trying to pinch too hard or yanking too hard with your hands.

Great tip - thanks!

Got the headlight out ready to bake and then realised my oven was too small....doh!

There is an intersting conversation with the wife right? "Honey we need a bigger oven, like tonight" But Honey, why? "Well, you see, the headlight for the Mazda won't fit in the one we have now...." LOL Good luck!

Back