How to install aftermarket stereo on a 2012-2013 Mazda 5

i'm totally going to call that Guangzhou cell phone number. nice find on the android version though.

^ Very nice find! Android based units makes a lot of sense to me. BUT the one glaring problem is start-up in 15 seconds! Holy moly. That is not acceptable –to me! This needs a dual boot mode, one instant on for radio and basic functions while the other for whatever else it needs to load. I don’t use Android devices but does it really take that long to boot?? Is there a way to disable stuff to make it boot faster?

^ Very nice find! Android based units makes a lot of sense to me. BUT the one glaring problem is start-up in 15 seconds! Holy moly. That is not acceptable –to me! This needs a dual boot mode, one instant on for radio and basic functions while the other for whatever else it needs to load. I don’t use Android devices but does it really take that long to boot?? Is there a way to disable stuff to make it boot faster?

Not really, 15 seconds is fat for it. On my phone it is not a problem since I don't reboot it.
Android stereo are interesting but I'm scared to have my stuff linked to a car.
Some idiot brakes into it and if nothing is password protected and you use it fully, they have you email, pictures and what ever else.
Too much integration for me :)
My older windows CE system has about 5 second reversing camera load (duel boot) and about 15 for the rest of the functions, about 40 seconds for GPS.

I'm intrigued by the concept of an Android head unit because basically, an Android smartphone can do everything an OEM vehicle system can do, only the smartphone does it better.

Music, navigation, phone calls, contact lists, communications (email/SMS), web access (don't use it while driving! (pissed)), a smartphone (or available app) does it better.

Even On Board Diagnostics with a $25 interface and a $5 Torque App. (About to write a post about this)

Last edited:
Review of S150 ANDROID Nav system

Pros:
Navigation is great. It has a lot of different sources to pick from. You can download apps from the Google Play store with the (OPTIONAL) Wi-fi adapter.
You can also side load apps as well. Also, if you don't like the "factory" interface, you can do your own Android launcher as well. You could make it look just like your phone if you wanted. There are a ton of options to cover. Bluetooth works very well. You can change tracks from the unit, so it controls your phone. Or you can use the phone, again, your choice. It will auto-resume play on bluetooth and the phone will auto pause. It works seamless.

Cons:
Ipod control, well there is almost none. It loads up a list of your songs and thats it. It treats the iPod as one big flash drive. But with the many other sources, it's almost not an issue. It is nice to have something like that, but I think the software needs a great deal of work to be able to search for Albums or Artist or even pull album art. Thats probably the biggest issue.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/review-of-smartauto24-s150-android-nav-system-88201.html

The S100 system is based on WinCE which is more mature and stable. S150 is android which has more features and easy to be updated to new version. Right now it's version 2.3.4, we will have v. 4.0.4 ready in one or two months.

Excited.

The newest Kenwood head units seem to run Android, and they're skinned VERY heavily from the factory to make them look like standard aftermarket stereo head units. Those might be worth a look too- but they are NOT cheap!

Back