How to install aftermarket stereo on a 2012-2013 Mazda 5

Vasy

:
2012 Mazda 5
Last edited:
Any review for that unit?

Not yet. I'm still evaluating it.
Found a glitch in GPS but was provided with new software by the seller, so will see if it holds up.
Also need to get used to using it :)
I just hope I can do it before baby arrives in 2 weeks

Congrats on the new addition (I mean that in more ways than one of course) Looks nice! Is that that E-bay special?

Congrats on the new addition (I mean that in more ways than one of course) Looks nice! Is that that E-bay special?

Yes, they sell it on eBay, but I got it from their website. Had a few issues during install but their support got back fast and help to sort everything out.
I've now added full feature overview video to the list.
I'd say that I'm happy so far with the unit. I'm not crazy about sound quality and can't tell them apart, so don't ask me hos good it sounds :)

Vasy,

Thanks for your many tutorials on the 5. I just got one and am planning to try some of them out. Question: Now that you've had this installed for a bit, how are you liking it? Also, I know the e-bay ad for that unit says it's ipod compatible but I can't make heads or tails of how the ipod is supposed to connect to the unit. Any wisdom on that front?

Vasy,

Thanks for your many tutorials on the 5. I just got one and am planning to try some of them out. Question: Now that you've had this installed for a bit, how are you liking it? Also, I know the e-bay ad for that unit says it's ipod compatible but I can't make heads or tails of how the ipod is supposed to connect to the unit. Any wisdom on that front?

It works well for me so far.
I don't have iPod/phone to try and be 100% sure, but there was a cable included in my unit that connected to the back of the head-unit
that I just ran into the glove-box together with the USB box but I've never used it.

Got a link and a review of that unit yet?
I want to install a BT capable HU in my new 2013 Mazda5 Sport

Got a link and a review of that unit yet?
I want to install a BT capable HU in my new 2013 Mazda5 Sport

I'm not sure what do you mean.
Check the 1st post, there are two links to the youtube with install and feature.

In general, the unit works well but I'd skip getting their surround view camera, just stick with regular backup camera.

Hi Vasy

Thanks for the tutorials!

One question about the tpms option: it appears from your video that you installed the Chinese tpms sensors in your rims, and they werent already there from the factory. Do i have that right? If so, why wouldnt a 2012 Mazda 5 come equipped with tpms from the factory?

Assumimg that i follow your lead, and install the new Chinese dvd-gps system, along with its tpms, what happens to my factory tpms system? Will i need to disable it? Or will it recognize the new Chinese tpms sensors in he wheels?

Regards,

IAATM

Last edited:
One last question: do you think that this same unit would work in my 2013 Mazda5? I remember there was a guy on this forum who bought a 2012 Sirius sat radio unit for his 2013, but he said it didnt work because the radio harness had changed. I think he was trying to sell the Sirius unit on this forum, if memory serves.

I don't know.
The stock stereo in 2012 and 2013 is same and the process is the same but I have no idea about the plug.
Call Mazda dealer and ask, parts department should know.

on the Grand Touring, with BT, and on the '13, with USB/ipod, I wonder if this unit would be able to take advantage of the pre-existing ipod connector and the BT mic. 1 more thing, I believe installing this unit would also lose the sat radio?

I see they have new model now: http://www.autodvdgps.com/car-dvd-g...cording-phonebook-game-for-mazda5-p-3809.html
looks like old one is gone.
It comes with its own i-Pod and mic so I don't believe it uses stock. Mine did not have this options to even try.
On the bright side it works well over Bluetooth and with build-in memory and ability to just load music onto cheap memory cards, no real reason to bring extra devices with you.
I have no idea about sat radio and how it is connected. There is Aux input, if that can be some how connected there... but no idea.....

Hey Vasy, very nice mod! I'm looking into getting a 2013 Mazda5 myself. How much would you charge for installing the new model, QL-MZD755, with a rear view camera? I live in Vancouver as well.

Thanks!

Do they list audio specs for this unit anywhere? The "spec" list seems more like a "feature" list on the website.

I'm curious about things like:
Power output (peak, RMS, THD?)
RCA pre-outs? How many? voltage?
Any EQ? or just Bass/Treble control? Does EQ affect RCA line-out, or just speaker-level output?
etc.

Is there any of that stuff in the manual it came with? I can't find it on the website.

The new version doesn't mention anything about blue tooth either.

In a stupid way it says: Support Ipod, USB, A2DP
as you know A2DP is a Bluetooth standard, so it would support it. Also if you look into screenshots, there is a Bluetooth setup screen.

Do they list audio specs for this unit anywhere? The "spec" list seems more like a "feature" list on the website.

I'm curious about things like:
Power output (peak, RMS, THD?)
RCA pre-outs? How many? voltage?
Any EQ? or just Bass/Treble control? Does EQ affect RCA line-out, or just speaker-level output?
etc.

Is there any of that stuff in the manual it came with? I can't find it on the website.

Not really in the manual for the previous version. Email and ask them.

In a stupid way it says: Support Ipod, USB, A2DP
as you know A2DP is a Bluetooth standard, so it would support it. Also if you look into screenshots, there is a Bluetooth setup screen.
I'm glad you cleared that up. Thanks. (I need more sleep)

Back