Xenondepot or Morimoto HID Kit (w/o tech pkg)?

runtohell121

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD Soul Red
I've been trying to decide which HID kit to get, torn between Xenondepot Volt or Extreme (not sure what's the difference) and Morimoto 3Five. Both of them offer 4300k, the temperature/color I want. I have DDMTuning in my 2010 Insight and it's 4500k, but I find it a bit more towards blueish side, running without relays. Not sure if I need relays or not either. Opinions/suggestions would be great.

Xenondepot Volt - $90
Xenondepot Extreme - $145
Morimoto 3Five - $170

From other forums, Xenondepot have pretty good reputation and quality, but I never bought them, though I'm leaning more towards Xenondepot Volt kit since it's the cheapest out of the 3.

Last edited:
DDM are usually overly blue as they underrate their kelvins. Morimoto have always been renown for their quality according to retrofit communities.

DDM are usually overly blue as they underrate their kelvins. Morimoto have always been renown for their quality according to retrofit communities.

Yup, that's why I don't want another set of DDM again. On many forums for retro, Morimoto is like the most recommended kit and I know they have excellent customer service. I'm not too sure on Xenondepot still, but they seem to have pretty good service, just not too sure on the quality of their kits. TRS don't have much coupon codes going around, so as of right now, I would need to pay $170+, whereas Xenondepot usually have $25 off codes (though the listed price I posted in first post already used the $25 off).

Anyone used VVME before? I'm just looking up brands that have 4300k bulbs. Any recommendations on which kit to get? I want to get Morimoto but $170 is a bit expensive and can't find any coupons.

I have VVME foglights in my RX-8. H11's. Their kelvin ratings are almost spot on, if not slightly overrated. My 5000kelvin H11 kit matches my OEM 4300k projector D2S HID's. Since they were just foglights, and VVME generally have good reliability, I decided to go for them. I got the 35w slim package. A year old and still working flawlessly.

If I were to replace headlights, I would definitely have to think twice and perhaps use something with proven reliability. E.G. Mori's.

I have VVME foglights in my RX-8. H11's. Their kelvin ratings are almost spot on, if not slightly overrated. My 5000kelvin H11 kit matches my OEM 4300k projector D2S HID's. Since they were just foglights, and VVME generally have good reliability, I decided to go for them. I got the 35w slim package. A year old and still working flawlessly.

If I were to replace headlights, I would definitely have to think twice and perhaps use something with proven reliability. E.G. Mori's.

Yeah, I need something reliable for headlights since it will be on more than the fog light. But $170 is just a bit hard to swallow right now. lol

Try to google a little bit, I got my morimoto kit from lightwerkz with freeshipping and 10% discount, that's $135 flat.
The other way is to get morimoto HID bulbs only and use DDM ballast and relay. then you get 4300k color.

I rather not have DDM Ballast as from reviews/other members, cheap ballast don't put out enough amp/power so the bulb will not reach the 4300k temperature and will most likely be blueish. Trying to find some reliable kits for long-run. I'm running DDM Slim Kit on my 2010 Insight for 3 years, no problem, except "4500k" is more of a blueish color which shouldn't be for that temperature.

I rather not have DDM Ballast as from reviews/other members, cheap ballast don't put out enough amp/power so the bulb will not reach the 4300k temperature and will most likely be blueish. Trying to find some reliable kits for long-run. I'm running DDM Slim Kit on my 2010 Insight for 3 years, no problem, except "4500k" is more of a blueish color which shouldn't be for that temperature.
COMPLETELY agree. I have the DDM kit on my CX5, and have exactly the same result. Too blue.

COMPLETELY agree. I have the DDM kit on my CX5, and have exactly the same result. Too blue.

It's all about the ballast. That's why I haven't bought my kit yet, been doing research on it. It all comes down to the ballast, if it's providing enough amp/power to the bulbs. On an Accord forum, some recommends the Zenex HID Ballast from Amazon. Bulbs from TRS (Morimoto).

I personally just want to get a whole set without having to buy part by part from other stores and only wanted a kit that has 4300k for "OEM" look. Don't really want anything too blue, so it all comes down to Xenondepot and Morimoto. Zenex also offers 4300k but I haven't found too much info on it and it's a lot cheaper than the other 2. I also would want to install relays on it so it draws power from battery.

DDM is cheap and all, but if you want pure white/yellowish white (close to OEM HID), you would have to look into better kits than those cheap DDM/eBay kits.

lol I went to my local flea market and bought a set of 5000k hids for 60 bucks and have had no problems at all. the light output is an oem white and have lasted with no issues since last November when I purchased them. you don't have to buy a name brand expensive kit.

lol I went to my local flea market and bought a set of 5000k hids for 60 bucks and have had no problems at all. the light output is an oem white and have lasted with no issues since last November when I purchased them. you don't have to buy a name brand expensive kit.

5000k is not "OEM White"... Usually, "OEM" color is light yellowish white (4300k). 5000k is "pure white".

I rather not use no name/cheap HID kits since the ballast most likely isn't putting out enough AMP for the bulbs. I've used the DDM 4500k kit on my 2010 Insight for 3 years, unplugged the HID bulb from ballast last week, left with a slightly burned/fried plug for the driver side. Also, 4500k didn't look 4500k, more on the 5000k+ side on that DDM kit assuming either the ballast isn't providing enough AMP or the bulb is incorrect from DDM.

Are people just adding HID lights to a reflector not designed for HID or are they also buying the projectors to go with it? How are people auto-leveling them and keeping them from blinding other drivers?
We'e talking about adding HID bulbs to the Low-beam projectors, not the High-beam reflectors.

I'd be first to agree with the lack of sense in putting HIDs in incandescent reflectors ESPECIALLY for low beams. But in the case of projectors, the HIDs work well... no extraneous dispersal of light, sharp cutoff.

Last edited:
can anyone comment on how well you would be able to see on snowy days with the 5000k or 6000k HID's ?

can anyone comment on how well you would be able to see on snowy days with the 5000k or 6000k HID's ?

From what I've read/seen, anything "too white" or "blueish" isn't that great for rain or snow. It would be better to have something more warmish white/yellowish.

I previous drive an Insight with aftermarket HID (DDM 4500k) and it was a little bit hard to see in the rain.

Back