Hi all! New member, build thread, and a question, with vid

Hon2bmw

:
2003 Pure White Protege5, 1999 540iT Panzer Wagon
Hi all, new member, bought an 03' P5 auto two weeks ago. I'm VERY partial to wagons/hatchbacks, and for the last three years have been using a 99' 540iT as my only car, a 45 mile commute led to things being needlessly expensive and inefficient, unfortunately I love the damned thing, so I decided to buy something that was cheaper to maintain and operate to supplement the BMW, now it's been relegated to a project/weekend warrior status and sits in the garage for 4 days out of the week.

I wanted a daily driver, but not something I would consider a penalty box, I wanted something with character, nor did I want to drive around in a POS either, my list was short.

I used to work for Mazda locally when I was in college back in 02-03' I remember the P5 being one of my favorites on the lot, so when I was looking for a more practical DD it was on the list.

Car was in decent shape when I got it, some clunking from the front end and a fairly loud rattle from the rear over bumps. After some investigation I replaced the sway bar endlinks and bushings front (PITA!!) and rear, I also replaced the shock mounts while I was in there. The loud metallic rattle over bumps ended up being my driver side rear brake pads, needless to say new pads and rotors all around. I'm amazed at how cheap parts are for this car, then again I'm used to paying $105 a corner on BMW for rotors, not $35. This car is also immeasurably easier to work on.

Only remaining quibble is the following noise at idle, sounds like a pulley, or maybe something loose? goes away if I rev past 1Krpm?

http://youtu.be/wATBNYFkw0I

I also did a little paint rehab, buffed the paint lightly (previous owner did a decent job maintaining he exterior) removed a ton of pin-striping (previous owner got a little crazy with the Pepboys pin-stripping tape) and repainted the front/rear bumpers in my back yard. Also smoked the headlights and painted the indent on the back bumper.

I've already got some new wheels on the way (getting tires mounted on Saturday)

Anyway, after two weeks I'm already digging it and am very happy with my purchase.

Some pics:

Front and rear bumpers repainted on the back porch using rattle cans:

And some pics of my OTHER lady:

Last edited:
Welcome to the group man! Had my MP5 since 2003, love it! As far as the sound, cant really tell, not sure if it's the vid sound quality or what, but it's tough to pinpoint.

please tell me that is not an E39 M5 wagon...One of my all time favorite cars...is it 'real'? or did you add the body parts?

please tell me that is not an E39 M5 wagon...One of my all time favorite cars...is it 'real'? or did you add the body parts?

Its not, its just a 540 sport package. I ordered the rear bumper from BMW and the front is a rep.

There were only two E39 M5 wagons created by BMW for evaluation, they were never sold to the public. I believe it had something to do with the way the rear end behaved when transfering power to the ground, the rear suspension on the wagon is set up differently then on the sedan in order to make the load floor flatter and wider.

However, in 2003 BMW offered an expanded sport package on the 540 wagon for the North American Market that included the Mtech front and rear bumpers and a few interior trim changes. Very few were sold, I believe the number is less than 100.

To my knowledge there have been a few conversions done in the US where people have dropped the S62 into the touring, unfortunately its not easy or straight forward due to the software systems in the vehicle. Also, in the North American market, BMW only offered the 540i wagon with the steptronic 5-speed auto, people have also been succesfull with swapping in the 6-speed manual from the sedan, but again many run into software issues.

Welcome to the group man! Had my MP5 since 2003, love it! As far as the sound, cant really tell, not sure if it's the vid sound quality or what, but it's tough to pinpoint.

I took it with my phone, I will try to take another with my camera today. Its not rythmic, it more random and sounds like a hum that comes and goes.

Last edited:
Just realized I posted this in the wrong section, can someone move this to the lounge?

Welcome!!! P5 looks great, so what wheel/tire combo did you go with? And LOVE that Bimmer wagon! The Germans know how to design/build one sexy wagon.

17x7 +40 with 215/45/17
Drag DR23 in black with red stripe (I wanted white but these were on ebay for a good deal, I figure I can always paint them if I don't like them.)
Hankook Ventus tires.

I really wanted Enkei RPF01's or BBS RK's, I found a few sets of locally, but the prices are a bit dear for a daily driver, I wanted to keep it under $1K.

Researching my choices more, I think I may run into clearance issues if I try lower it, but I will look into different tires or possibly rolling the rear fenders if I go that route.

decided the matte black was not going to work for me, went with white instead.

Not sure if I want to do a drop, maybe in the future when I have extra cash for coilovers and camber bolts, and probably different tires.

Wow those rim's are seriously nice looking...

And they even fooled Brian ;)

I might have to talk to my contact about getting myself a set of those rims.....

Car looks sharp dude, keep up the good work :)

Back