118 Miles at delivery??

I'm still waiting to pick up my "repaired" chipped bumper CX-5... I have yet to receive a call from Fremont Mazda and they told me on Tuesday that repair would be done Wednesday and will be ready for pick up on Thursday and will call me.. Should I call them? Since I still haven't received a call yet.

*sigh* Fremont Mazda... On Tuesday, they said it would be ready by TODAY... I just called and they told me tomorrow... and when I called, I was being transferred back and forth and was told they will call me back, which I waited 40 minute before calling them again... So annoyed with Fremont Mazda so far... I wasn't even given enough gas on the rental which I was told by one of the manager that it will be filled up before they gave it to me.. Can't go anywhere with less than 120 miles left on the car lol

Picked up the car today, looks decent job on paint chip repair. Surprised to see 158 miles on the car now... 40 more than before.. WTF?! Also, I didn't get the floor mats or keychain. Apparently, they said they will ship it to my house... Which I hope so, otherwise, they lied to me. They did a really bad job at detailing the car, still water on the car and I can see white stains which I assume is wax (will post picture tomorrow or something) on the edges of the fender. They used my gas, never gave me back the 40 miles they used which I have no clue where the hell did they drive to...

I have yet to know how to use most of the stuff in my car since the sales person didn't show me, guess I will be looking through the manual the next few days and messing around. Overall, I would not recommend Fremont Mazda to anyone, kind of upsetting to me since they don't tell me any details about where my car is being fixed, where my car came from, how it got to this place, where did all the miles come from, etc.

So in the end, I take it as 158 miles at delivery not 118 miles

Knowing that you have an issue with the miles. They should have told you the body shop they were bringing it to was 20 miles away. Letting you go without going over the features of the car, and not being properly detailed, is inexcusable. Mailing the mats and keychain, don't count on it (that's an old dealer trick). Call them and tell them you'll pick them up (they already have them there). Call Mazda HQ again, and let them know about the condition (detailing), and lack of going over the features. They will NOT like that. When I worked at Mazda and the new skyActiv 3 came out, some one from Madza HQ came over and spent TWO hours going over the car with the salesman....and tested them afterwards.

I'm picking ours up in an hour. I went to the dealership Thursday, the day it came in on the swap. TWO small scratches on rear bumper cover. The car left for the body shop, before I left the building. I know the detailer at the dealership, I'm expecting the car to be PERFECT.

Last edited:
Stealerships suck, that's a given. I would just be glad the car is in your hands now and they can't screw you much more, other than the mat/keychain issue.

Try to put it behind you and just enjoy the amazing CX-5, and be happy with the knowledge that you will never give them your business again. I speak from experience, trust me.

Knowing that you have an issue with the miles. They should have told you the body shop they were bringing it to was 20 miles away. Letting you go without going over the features of the car, and not being properly detailed, is inexcusable. Mailing the mats and keychain, don't count on it (that's an old dealer trick). Call them and tell them you'll pick them up (they already have them there). Call Mazda HQ again, and let them know about the condition (detailing), and lack of going over the features. They will NOT like that. When I worked at Mazda and the new skyActiv 3 came out, some one from Madza HQ came over and spent TWO hours going over the car with the salesman....and tested them afterwards.

I'm picking ours up in an hour. I went to the dealership Thursday, the day it came in on the swap. TWO small scratches on rear bumper cover. The car left for the body shop, before I left the building. I know the detailer at the dealership, I'm expecting the car to be PERFECT.

Yeah, I first assume that the body shop would be on site like some of the other dealers, but no, they didn't tell me anything. Wasn't expecting an additional 40 miles on the car and not get my gas filled back up. I didn't want to tell them about the bad detailing jobs as it will just take more days for them to deal with my car, as I think I saw another small rock chip on the hood this time but I didn't really bother with it knowing that it will happen sooner or later again. I highly doubt they will repair that small chip as I already drove it off their lot, though I saw it before I left the lot, but like I said, I didn't say anything.

I really doubt I will be receiving the mats and keychain in the mail. They told me to wait because I live far away from them (80 miles one way). I personally don't want to see any of the people at Fremont Mazda again.

I will be contacting Mazda HQ soon after I do a thorough inspection on my driveway and get some pictures about the detailing.

Good luck on your pick up/inspection!

Stealerships suck, that's a given. I would just be glad the car is in your hands now and they can't screw you much more, other than the mat/keychain issue.

Try to put it behind you and just enjoy the amazing CX-5, and be happy with the knowledge that you will never give them your business again. I speak from experience, trust me.

Yup, really hate Fremont Mazda and their terrible service so far. I'm doubting I will ever receive the mats and/or the keychain.

Yeah, they definitely won't be getting my business ever again. Will be going to my local dealership if I ever need some warranty/tsb/recall work done.

Just picked up the new GT. I feel bad telling you this, but the car was absolutely perfect. The detailing was impeccable (car will never look this good again). The sales person took 30 minutes to go over the car, even though we were trading a '13 GT in (we bought it from her). She went through all the "settings", lights, locks, blue tooth, GPS.....There was ONE problem. I spotted a NEW Speed 3, with ALL the toys (as a runner I've driven a lot of these). My wife saw me smiling, and actually said: "If you want it, get it"......If I don't get it, it will be my fault...I would have found it easier to "blame" my wife, than myself.(gah)

Just picked up the new GT. I feel bad telling you this, but the car was absolutely perfect. The detailing was impeccable (car will never look this good again). The sales person took 30 minutes to go over the car, even though we were trading a '13 GT in (we bought it from her). She went through all the "settings", lights, locks, blue tooth, GPS.....There was ONE problem. I spotted a NEW Speed 3, with ALL the toys (as a runner I've driven a lot of these). My wife saw me smiling, and actually said: "If you want it, get it"......If I don't get it, it will be my fault...I would have found it easier to "blame" my wife, than myself.(gah)

Congrats! :)

I didn't expect anyone else to have the same issues or services as I had from a Mazda dealership.

NEW Speed 3? As in 2014 model? Or just a 2013 still? Since the 2014 Mazda 3 was just announced a while ago, the Mazdaspeed3 haven't been announced yet. I was thinking about waiting for the new Mazda 3, but I wanted AWD and that car didn't have it lol

It's a 2013, there will be no Speed 3 for 2014. It will be a "few" years before a Speed 3 returns, and it will be lower in HP...If you ever wanted a COLLECTABLE Mazda, the 2013 Speed 3 would be the one to get.

Last edited:
Mmm.. Yeah..

Question to people who have a front license plate... Is there a license plate holder? Or is it just 2 screws? Mine is 2 screws that is screwed on loosely that I can easily remove by hand.. and it wobbles.

Here are quite a bit of pictures about the terrible detailing that I spotted now and previously which I might use to submit to Mazda HQ. I have yet to wash the car since I got it home yesterday

Fender area (1st picture, obvious white residue, 2nd picture, light white that is a little bit more transparent)
0bfi.jpg

zf25.jpg

Right Fog Light (1st pic, obviously, white residue, 2nd pic, also a bit)
wnkz.jpg

vcj7.jpg

Really hard to see tiny chip
eccb.jpg

Passenger headlight, bug stain
cw64.jpg

Lower bumper, white stain from most likely detailing wax I assume(?)
wzum.jpg

Interior picture.. driver side door panel, oil? Not sure, just different shade of black
9gts.jpg

Dirty control area? or scratch mark? Not too sure either
ojju.jpg

Above the speedometer dash area... white marks
chqp.jpg

Overall, I am disappointed in their detailing job, not even posting watermarks and others lol...

Isn't Mazda suppose to fill this form out before giving the car to me...? There are other forms that's unfilled by Fremont Mazda, didn't bother taking pictures of it.
lhf2.jpg

After going through my front bumper.. I find it more upsetting... Not sure if it's bad compounding or what, but the right side (repaired side) is hazing compared to the left side. I'm not sure if the body shop repainted it or not, as I can see one noticeable mark on the right headlight which is on the lowest left corner on the headlight

2 picture of the right side
k9ym.jpg

ztuj.jpg

Comparison to the left side
mbl3.jpg

That car was NOT detailed by a professional, plain and simple. If the front plate is loose, they just simply over tightened the screws (making the holes to large now). You'll have to go the next size larger screw. That chip. That's not the REPAIRED chip, is it?....You definitely have a reason to be upset....Keep talking to Mazda HQ, your pics are proof. I know it's easy to say, but don't let this crappy dealer give you a sour taste for what is a great vehicle......You just need to find a quality detailer.

That car was NOT detailed by a professional, plain and simple. If the front plate is loose, they just simply over tightened the screws (making the holes to large now). You'll have to go the next size larger screw. That chip. That's not the REPAIRED chip, is it?....You definitely have a reason to be upset....Keep talking to Mazda HQ, your pics are proof. I know it's easy to say, but don't let this crappy dealer give you a sour taste for what is a great vehicle......You just need to find a quality detailer.

The front plate is only tightened by 2 screws, not screwed in all the way, just hanging there.

That's a second chip, they repaired the bigger one.. but now another smaller one that I guess the repair shop didn't see it or didn't bother doing it.

Yeah, I'm really unsatisfied with this purchase after seeing all the issues and I already emailed Mazda HQ with all the pictures, not sure what they can do about it and also told Mazda HQ about not being given a tour of the car upon inspection about features and how terrible detailing was...

I was about to start detailing the car after examining most of it, but I don't think I should even touch the car anymore until Mazda HQ says something about it. I was going to start applying sealants (Blackfire Crystal Seal) to my car, but after seeing that, I think it's better off waiting and see what actions need to be taken before I start detailing it myself.

Got a response from Mazda HQ and told me to talk to the dealer again... Which I really don't want to do... What should I do??

The wash/detailing job they did seems like the "normal" standard of what dealers would do their washing at. When I picked mine up, I didn't look as closely as you did, but after bringing it home, I found dead bees in some of the the body gaps on the rear of the car. This tells me the car was transported on a truck, on the top level, facing backwards in the most forward position, and just had it's fair share of bug carnage. However, I did not notice any chips or any other defects in the paint. I would not worry about the wax residue or the dust on the interior. Dealers would go broke if they had to detail their cars to that level.

As for the front bumper, the hazing and the scratch mark on the headlight could have possibly been done by the repair shop. They probably took off the front bumper to have it repainted and maybe did a bad compounding job to blend in their fix. The scratches could have been from them not being careful when re-installing the front bumper. When dealers makes fixes like these, I'm sure they're going to find the cheapest place possible, because every penny spent eats into the profit they made on the car. So quality can take a hit.

It is really unfortunate that they delivered the car with that many more miles. 40 extra miles means that the body shop was 20 miles away. Very strange, since you'd think they'd partner up with a more local body shop. I'm actually surprised you noticed that they didn't refill the gas for you. On a full tank and driving 40 miles, I would think that the gauge wouldn't have indicated a drop.

My front license plate is also only held on by two screws. No bracket or anything. This is something that Mazda themselves decided. My protege5 came with a front license plate bracket, but even then, that was still just screwed into the bumper with 2 screws. On the CX5, I put some thin weather stripping on the back of the front plate so it doesn't make contact with the bumper. It also made it more snug, but still seems flimsier than the front plate bracket that came on my P5.

As for the dealer not going over the car with you upon pick up, that is completely their fault. Mazda HQ provides that "new car inspection" and it is up to the dealers to perform those checks. I don't think there is anything you can do besides waiting for the survey and rating the dealer accordingly. I think dealers rely heavily on those survey's, which is why every time I've purchased a new car, the sales person essentially begged me to give them good ratings. I would say that you gotta keep bugging the dealer for those accessories they promised you, but if they keep refusing, it may be a lost cause. Just give them horrible ratings on the survey, put everything else behind you, never go back to that dealer again and spread the word to everyone you know. Because in the end....you're a owner of an awesome CX5!

Last edited:
The wash/detailing job they did seems like the "normal" standard of what dealers would do their washing at. When I picked mine up, I didn't look as closely as you did, but after bringing it home, I found dead bees in some of the the body gaps on the rear of the car. This tells me the car was transported on a truck, on the top level, facing backwards in the most forward position, and just had it's fair share of bug carnage. However, I did not notice any chips or any other defects in the paint. I would not worry about the wax residue or the dust on the interior. Dealers would go broke if they had to detail their cars to that level.

As for the front bumper, the hazing and the scratch mark on the headlight could have possibly been done by the repair shop. They probably took off the front bumper to have it repainted and maybe did a bad compounding job to blend in their fix. The scratches could have been from them not being careful when re-installing the front bumper. When dealers makes fixes like these, I'm sure they're going to find the cheapest place possible, because every penny spent eats into the profit they made on the car. So quality can take a hit.

It is really unfortunate that they delivered the car with that many more miles. 40 extra miles means that the body shop was 20 miles away. Very strange, since you'd think they'd partner up with a more local body shop. I'm actually surprised you noticed that they didn't refill the gas for you. On a full tank and driving 40 miles, I would think that the gauge wouldn't have indicated a drop.

My front license plate is also only held on by two screws. No bracket or anything. This is something that Mazda themselves decided. My protege5 came with a front license plate bracket, but even then, that was still just screwed into the bumper with 2 screws. On the CX5, I put some thin weather stripping on the back of the front plate so it doesn't make contact with the bumper. It also made it more snug, but still seems flimsier than the front plate bracket that came on my P5.

As for the dealer not going over the car with you upon pick up, that is completely their fault. Mazda HQ provides that "new car inspection" and it is up to the dealers to perform those checks. I don't think there is anything you can do besides waiting for the survey and rating the dealer accordingly. I think dealers rely heavily on those survey's, which is why every time I've purchased a new car, the sales person essentially begged me to give them good ratings. I would say that you gotta keep bugging the dealer for those accessories they promised you, but if they keep refusing, it may be a lost cause. Just give them horrible ratings on the survey, put everything else behind you, never go back to that dealer again and spread the word to everyone you know. Because in the end....you're a owner of an awesome CX5!

True, I guess I shouldn't expect too much from dealers to detail cars. I guess sooner or later, I will get a little chip no matter what without any clear bra/coat or whatever.

I'm not even sure how to fix the issues on the front bumper right now. Thinking about using a DA polisher with a simple step, Meguiar's Finishing Microfiber Pad + Blackfire Total Polish & Seal. I have a feeling detailing with a DA polisher might be a be more difficult side with all those curve and small areas, but just hoping to remove the hazing and a little bit of scratch.

Well, the gauge shows full at dealer, but like within 5 miles in from driving (going from dealer to Milpitas), it dropped a bar already so I knew they didn't bother giving me back the gas.

Oh okay, thought I was missing a bracket or something since it was only held by 2 screw.

Yeah, not sure what I can really do now. I really don't want to contact Fremont Mazda even though Mazda HQ suggested I should after showing them the photos and what I was saying on this thread. I think I will just take it as a bad experience and either detail the car myself or maybe find a local detailer to do the job. Wish I had a garage do work in since I only can work outside the house right now.

The more I detail the car and look closely.. The more paint defects I uncover on the front bumper. Is it possible to request a new bumper + new driver side headlight? I am unable to remove the white stuff on the bumper/headlight since it's actually paint as far as I can tell. I find this quite unacceptable as I do not want to deal with Fremont Mazda anymore either though that's what Mazda HQ tell me to do, go talk to Fremont Mazda. I don't believe in Fremont Mazda anymore.

On the right side (driver side) of the bumper, there's a lot of scratches which I believe is due to compounding and I have failed to remove it with my one step process. Right now, I think the scratches are actually within the clear coat that was sprayed on during repair... and not visible to the camera, but visible up close to human eyes.

Overspray, sort of dripping paint (1st pic, lower bumper. 2nd pic, tow cover a little bit, not too noticeable)
p5y9.jpg

z4ru.jpg

More "chip" though I don't really think they are since it doesn't feel like it's chipped, just a bit of red paint gone where they compounded/repaint/whatever they did
lhyc.jpg

fo5o.jpg

White residue and a tiny chip of red paint missing, due to them not removing the tow cover before repainting...
bsab.jpg

Overspray, somewhat noticeable on the chrome, at least if you feel it, it's there, along with the headlight area...
o1qv.jpg

License holes... 2 actual holes.. + 1 mistake(?) on right side + a chip under the actual hole...
jpt0.jpg

Last edited:
Hey runtohell121, sorry about the bad experience. I'm not sure how far you are from San Diego or San Diego County but I have a buddy that details cars. He does an amazing job! He's a former Marine and his work ethic is top notch. He's not happy with the outcome unless the customer is. Check him out. http://www.sandiegodetailer.com/ He also has a Facebook page with a bunch of photos of all the work he has done. https://www.facebook.com/#!/QuengaDetailing

Hey runtohell121, sorry about the bad experience. I'm not sure how far you are from San Diego or San Diego County but I have a buddy that details cars. He does an amazing job! He's a former Marine and his work ethic is top notch. He's not happy with the outcome unless the customer is. Check him out. http://www.sandiegodetailer.com/ He also has a Facebook page with a bunch of photos of all the work he has done. https://www.facebook.com/#!/QuengaDetailing

It's like an 8+ hour drive from the Bay Area to SD

Back