Drilled and slotted rotors

Austin13

:
MazdaSpeed Proteg 2003.5
I have problems with my stock rotors and instead of buying the same rotors again, i think i want drilled and slotted rotors. With this being said... i am having trouble finding them. I work at a machine shop so i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to drill and slot my own. Is there a specific way of doing it or do i just add holes evenly around the rotor.

Last edited:
how long have you had the ones from ebay? do they seem to work and fit fine? i agree that, that looks nice!

Drilled and slotted are not just for looks. They drill and slot them to keep the brakes cooler longer under hard braking, and to help the brake gases vent faster. I put them on when i got the car, and ive had it almost 3 years now i think. No issues with them, had a caliper lock up and they didnt even warp.

by any chance do you remember the brand you bought off ebay? i see a lot of brands on here. Thanks for the help!

There wasnt too many brands for the MSP, I just got whatever ones came with F+R and pads also. I dont remember the brand

Drilled and slotted are not just for looks. They drill and slot them to keep the brakes cooler longer under hard braking, and to help the brake gases vent faster. I put them on when i got the car, and ive had it almost 3 years now i think. No issues with them, had a caliper lock up and they didnt even warp.
Drilled and slotted rotors are primarily cosmetic. While what you said is true, they are overkill for street use (as in won't make a difference) and probably not good enough for track use. Cross drilling the rotors makes them weaker and prone to cracking.

If you want real improved braking, then you need a bbk with larger rotors and calipers.

Also, you can't really machine/resurface drilled and slotted rotors. So, they are good for one brake job

i got my slotted and drilled rotors on www.brakeperformance.com , had them for 4 years. ive gone through 3 sets of pads already(heavy foot on brakes) and rotors finally grooved in. spent about $250 on them fronts and rears at the time, and they came with pads. so i was satisfied with them. you can also go with stoptech or ebc rotors. i personally noticed a difference in braking when switched from stock rotors that were new when i purchased my car back 09'. so i guess its really to each his own. anything is better than stock rotors that are known to warp easily after about 7-8 months.

Unless you are running at F1 speeds they are not worth it, especially cheap ones. The more surface area for the pad to grip on a street car the better. Invest in nice pads before you get drilled and slotted rotors. But if you want them just for looks go right ahead.

I don't feel my brakes are overkill. When slowing down from speeds my car shouldn't even reach. I feel better that I can slow down faster. D/S rotors are an improvement no matter how you look at it. When I smell my brakes burning I know there doing their job.

I don't feel my brakes are overkill. When slowing down from speeds my car shouldn't even reach. I feel better that I can slow down faster. D/S rotors are an improvement no matter how you look at it. When I smell my brakes burning I know there doing their job.

Unless you're tracking your car on the street then they probably are overkill. As previous poster mentioned, drilled and slotted rotors reduce surface area in contact with the pads so you actually lose stopping performance so they aren't always an "improvement" as you stated. The gases that those rotors are designed to vent aren't going to reduce braking performance as much as the reduced surface area will for typical driving. Whatever improved brake performance you have now is likely the result of buying a good set of pads and putting better tires on, both of which will have a FAR GREATER impact on your stopping distance compared to just putting on D/S rotors.

I have cut drilled and slotted, never an issue. I always notice way better braking and no fade. Not just for looks.

there is a big part of me that wants them for looks.. i dont really track my car.. i do like to fly down certain streets and highways.. but if it stops my car better, then that is great.. but as long as it spins my wheels and slows down when i push the brakes, ill love them!

Lol. Gotta love the forums and the non-sense that goes on.
Im going to br blunt here ...Ppl that say that drilled and slotted rotors aren't an improvement don't know what they are talking about.

Back