Cargo Carrier Melting

MarineMike

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD Sky Blue w/Bose-Moonroof Package
For those of you that have used cargo carriers on your CX-5s.... Do you have any issues with heat from your exhaust melting anything? I'm a little apprehensive on buying a carrier now because they all say "not intended for rear exhaust vehicles" or some variation of that. Anyone care to share their experiences?

Interesting. I have always used a hitch platform with a giant Cooler as a cargo box. I have used it with multiple cars, some with rear side exhaust and another which had one rear exhaust that faced down. Never had a problem with those setups. I plan on using that same platform and cooler but with a 6" extension so that it sits far enough from the rear hatch, so that I can still open the hatch with the platform loaded. With the extension, hopefully the cooler will sit far enough from the exhaust that it will cool enough.

Interesting. I have always used a hitch platform with a giant Cooler as a cargo box. I have used it with multiple cars, some with rear side exhaust and another which had one rear exhaust that faced down. Never had a problem with those setups. I plan on using that same platform and cooler but with a 6" extension so that it sits far enough from the rear hatch, so that I can still open the hatch with the platform loaded. With the extension, hopefully the cooler will sit far enough from the exhaust that it will cool enough.

Thanks for the response Bopper. That's what I was thinking of trying too. Use the extension and hopefully that does the trick. I won't be using a cooler though... It will be holding a stroller and high-chair for when we go camping next month. Which is why I'm a little nervous to put a few hundred dollars worth of baby stuff back there only to have it melt.

On my other car (also twin exhaust) I have a carrier, and went to Florida from Maryland with stuff on the carrier covered in think polythene sheet. Yes :( it melted some of the sheeting around the exhaust outlets.

So, I got some aluminum flashing (short roll of thin aluminum sheet about 8" wide) from the hardware store, and cut a couple of pieces off, with heavy scissors, to protect the areas by the exhausts. Never a problem since.

On my other car (also twin exhaust) I have a carrier, and went to Florida from Maryland with stuff on the carrier covered in think polythene sheet. Yes :( it melted some of the sheeting around the exhaust outlets.

So, I got some aluminum flashing (short roll of thin aluminum sheet about 8" wide) from the hardware store, and cut a couple of pieces off, with heavy scissors, to protect the areas by the exhausts. Never a problem since.

Thanks RedBaron... That's what I thought would happen. How did you attach the flashing to the carrier?

My bike rack has plastic components (black in the picture) that sit directly in the path of the exhaust several inches away. No troubles so far.

IMG_1094.JPG

My bike rack has plastic components (black in the picture) that sit directly in the path of the exhaust several inches away. No troubles so far.

IMG_1094.JPG

Thanks Felt_Rider for the reply. I bought a hitch cargo carrier and after I put it in the hitch it sits about 6-8 inches, give or take, away from the exhaust. I'm going to do a test run with an old tarp that's all ripped up the next time I take a little road trip and see how it holds up. If the tarp doesn't melt after a hour car ride, than I don't foresee it melting at all.

Back