Post Pics of your Aftermarket Mazda5 Stereo Setups

Hi, first post! Just joined after seeing srad2drag's pics. How are you liking that unit now that you've had it for a while? It looks like exactly what I'd like to put in my '09 5. I have a few questions.

What happens to the functionality of the stock aux in port?
Is it a 6 disc changer? I notice the pics on ebay say "Virtual" 6 disc.
Does your stock LCD screen (above unit) still function and to what extent?

Anything you could say would be a great help. Your install looks great! Thanks...
Hello, I'm still loving my deck like hell.Lol..I'm unsure if my factory radio had a aux port since my car is a 06. The radio has a aux port to utilize different devices though. The virtual disk means shuffling through songs and albums on a mp3 player or Ipod.

As for my stock LCD screen, it still displays ambient temperature and climate control temps and the time.

I've mentioned before the only quirk I have is my radio station presets dont cycle through when I push the up arrow on the steering wheel. The radio hits the next staion is succession. Like 97.1,97.2. The other thing is when I set up my night time map view colors to be used the radio doesnt do it automatically. I have to manually do it. The screen still dims when I turn on my lights, its just I have a different night time map profile for night use and daytime use. I just added a satellite radio tuner and its working great. I'm pleased with the set up..

I am looking at a similar SatNav off ebay that Srad2drag has fitted. My Mazda 5 has the mobile phone pack installed and also has a telephone button on the steering wheel to operate it. Currently, all is working fine.

If I replace the existing 6 CD player with a SatNav off ebay, what will happen to the existing mobile phone functionality ? Is it linked to the original CD player or not?

What would the telephone button on the steering button actually control ? Would it operate the ebay SatNav or still the original phone ?

Many thanks !

Did mine on the weekend, you can see the picture of it in the video below.

Vasy how is the generic deck holding up?
Is the sound as good or better than the factory deck?
Also what nav software is it using?

Vasy how is the generic deck holding up?
Is the sound as good or better than the factory deck?
Also what nav software is it using?

So far works well for my needs. Sound works but as my mom said, a bear stepped onto my ears when I was young :), I don't pick up well the sound difference to comment.
To me sounds at least as good as stock or at least I can't tell, nor can my wife.
It uses iGo GPS software. I really like it and had no issues with it.
They now sell an upgraded version of this unit for $10 extra, it has a faster CPU and 3 zone instead of two plus build-in 4 gig memory. I'd probably go with that unit at this time.

Vasy, that's the unit I intend to install in a couple months. The existing radio seems so antiquated for a new car.

A touch screen unit with that feature set would have cost over a grand just a couple of years ago. I'm thinking 3 and change isn't too bad.

A touch screen unit with that feature set would have cost over a grand just a couple of years ago. I'm thinking 3 and change isn't too bad.
That's not a bad price at all. JVC made awesome audio equipment up to the 90s/early 200s but when they were acquired (or merged) by Kenwood in the late 2000s, they went down hill. Cost of tech has gone down but the price lost is also due to internal quality. The namesakes we use to know are mostly all gone. What happened to mid tier/affordable quality stuff from Eclipse, MB Quartz, Naki (some of them are still around by name only). Makes me sad :( but $350 for touch screen is not bad in terms of cost. Not sure if you’ve touch it in person, but I recommend that before an online purchase. Most of the cheap touch screen units have absolute shyt overlays that I would not want to touch and some have abysmal boot up time.

Curious, why does everyone feel the need for a front screen?

Curious, why does everyone feel the need for a front screen?

I like the look :)
Also have using add-on phones and gps for navigation. Like the ability to control what is going on in the back from the front, like the big buttons to touch so no miss.
I tried using stand alone gps, still have it mounted on my bike, tried phone, both suck in comparison to good head unit.
I had two different units installed one in Mazda one in my saturn. I went with a cheap ebay unit on saturn and after using both I do prefer the one I paid more for in Mazda. You can really tell the difference how many hours has been spent on the interface design.

I like the look :)
Also have using add-on phones and gps for navigation. Like the ability to control what is going on in the back from the front, like the big buttons to touch so no miss.
I tried using stand alone gps, still have it mounted on my bike, tried phone, both suck in comparison to good head unit.
I had two different units installed one in Mazda one in my saturn. I went with a cheap ebay unit on saturn and after using both I do prefer the one I paid more for in Mazda. You can really tell the difference how many hours has been spent on the interface design.
Agree it looks nice! 
I use to think there is a case for GPS but I’m not so sure anymore. I find that I almost never use the stock Nav (Alpine unit) in my Fit. If you think about it, how often do you drive to a place that you need nav where you don’t already know the road and even back roads?? For road trips –absolutely- but that’s a rare occurrence unless you like to explore (I don’t think many of us with kids have the time for that). For one off trips, an updated Google maps is better esp. for traffic/accident. A standalone solution is adequate as well. I have a Garmin in the Mz5 and used it twice last year to find alternate route. I don’t really care for Caddy’s CUV either. While it is very nicely integrated, I really don’t need a screen and actually HATED that everything was touch screen. I much prefer tactile buttons, at least for some functions.

Bluetooth is nice to have but you don’t require a screen for that. Backup cam is nice but it would not be cost effect to replace the HU just for that screen.

I agree that GPS is foregone feature. I use my phone whenever I need GPS for road trips and it serves me well. The head unit i'm planning doesn't even have GPS. But like Vasy said, the Bluetooth phone integration is a must. I have it on my speed and miss it whenever I take the van. Also, I'm a music lover and the Pandora control is going to get really heavy use! From what I have found, only touchscreen units provide Pandora. And the backup camera is something I may take advantage of in the future but by no means is a crucial feature. And finally, video. It is a minivan and will be toting kids around after all. The video output will make her a lil theatre on wheels for use on long road trips. And then there's the obvious whiz bang factor. ;)

I hear you about going to see it in person but I highly doubt i'll find it. Most brick & mortar shops have a very limited selection in store. But I'm going with Crutchfield anyway. Their return policy is incredibly hassle free. If JVC turns out to be a lemon, i'll just send it back. I'm a Kenwood fan boy and disagree on your take of the company. My last Kenwood HU lasted me over 10 years and 4 different cars. Their Excelon line is well...excellent. I've had Kenwood gear in my home as well that has stood the test of time. I'm glad to hear they bought JVC actually cause I was apprehensive about leaving Kenwood

I hear you about going to see it in person but I highly doubt i'll find it. Most brick & mortar shops have a very limited selection in store. But I'm going with Crutchfield anyway. Their return policy is incredibly hassle free. If JVC turns out to be a lemon, i'll just send it back. I'm a Kenwood fan boy and disagree on your take of the company. My last Kenwood HU lasted me over 10 years and 4 different cars. Their Excelon line is well...excellent. I've had Kenwood gear in my home as well that has stood the test of time. I'm glad to hear they bought JVC actually cause I was apprehensive about leaving Kenwood
did not mean to imply Kenwood is bad. Excelon stuff is very nice. It looks like JVC ended up covering the low end market while Kenwood offers the better stuff. The JVC you have in mind looks like a nice buy.

If I were in the market, I would lean towards the Pioneer App radio for the bells and whistles.

I added a JL Audio 6.5 inch micro sub under my third row seat. I also installed some JL audio 6x8's in the doors/rear and a JL audio 5 channel amp to power it all. It sounds great and the micro sub hits hard for it size. I'm pleased with how it all turned out plus I enjoy glancing over at my navigation while I'm driving. It looks better than some cheesy screen saver or app front page.

arriving tomorrow!

JVC Arsenal KW-ADV65BT
x105ADV65BT-o_blue.jpg

Latest posts

Back