Accessory Homelink mirror - FIXED - Problem with included wiring harness!

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
Hi all,

I just got and installed The Homelink/Autodim mirror in my CX-5. Very easy install and it all works EXCEPT for the Homelink buttons.

To help me debug this, would anyone with the Homelink mirror please chime in and tell me how it works (when it IS working :)). My questions are:

1. Does Homelink work only when the ignition is on, or is off, or both?
2. Apparently the LED does double duty - green when autodimming is on, but switches to red (solid or flashing) when Homelink is being used or programmed. Is that correct?

As I said, everything works, but the Homelink. The LED never turns red when buttons are pushed.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I found out what the problem was... an issue with the accessory harness! Updated below in post #6.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your exact issue? You can't program your garage remote to it?
You just press the homelink button and your garage door button both at the same time till the light flashes.
1. yes
2. yes

Try these steps. It covers both cases, the garage door opener motor head unit without learning mode switch on the motor head (older units) and those without learning mode switch

Youtube video

OK, found the problem and it was a doozy. First I have to thank the response from PerrodelSol which led me to re-think and find the issue. To make the long story short it turns out that the ACCESSORY WIRING HARNESS THAT COMES WITH THE MAZDA MIRROR IS INCORRECT!

Perro saying that the Homelink buttons have to be programmed with the ignition off, led me to check the wiring plug for correct voltages at the mirror (since the dimming/compass worked I had assumed the power connections were OK). Turns out that there was only ~2V at the harness where the Battery (Always ON) voltage was supposed to be, but the Switched power and ground was fine.

I, of course, assumed I had screwed up the harness, and after recovering from banging my head on a brick, I went back in to the A-pillar to check. Tested the wires at the car connector (C-11) and found no voltage at that pin there either. After a lot of referring to the schematics for the 2014 car and comparing with the adapter that comes with the mirror, I came to realise that the Blue vampire wire for the Battery voltage IS ON THE WRONG PIN (at least for the 2014, I did not check the 2013 UPDATE: I checked and the 2013 MY cars should work fine).

So, after those many hours of investigating and thinking, I swapped the (blue) wire in the adapter plugs over to the correct pin, plugged it all back in and BINGO it now all works! The picture below shows where the wires SHOULD go in the adapter in case someone else hits the issue (only the blue wire and it's associated black interconnect wire are swapped, the red and black were already correct). Otherwise, I recommend that if you want to get this mirror in your 2014(+?) car (that didn't come with one) you pucker up and pay the dealer for it and let them deal with the headache.

Thanks again to Perro :)

attachment.php

MirrorAdapter.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that looks a lot easier than the kit from Mazda for my cx9. Had to tap into wires, self tapping screw, mess with all sorts of trim, not a plug n play harness at all.

good detective work! Glad it was solved. You should contact Mazda about this. Log an email with mazda.com They are pretty good at getting back to you. maybe they will float this up the chain to the technical folks.

My pleasure, my wife was the one who taught me about. Glad we could help!

Hi all,

I just got and installed The Homelink/Autodim mirror in my CX-5. Very easy install and it all works EXCEPT for the Homelink buttons.

To help me debug this, would anyone with the Homelink mirror please chime in and tell me how it works (when it IS working :)). My questions are:

1. Does Homelink work only when the ignition is on, or is off, or both?
2. Apparently the LED does double duty - green when autodimming is on, but switches to red (solid or flashing) when Homelink is being used or programmed. Is that correct?

As I said, everything works, but the Homelink. The LED never turns red when buttons are pushed.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I found out what the problem was... an issue with the accessory harness! Updated below in post #6.

Thanks for sharing your fix with us. It is wonderful when someone follows up on a problem post with a solution.

Would you mind posting a picture of the mirror installed? I am curious as to how the wires are hidden from the mirror.

Also, do you have any way to post the instructions that came with the mirror kit? I am trying to judge how difficult and installation might be.

Thanks again!

Chris

Would you mind posting a picture of the mirror installed? I am curious as to how the wires are hidden from the mirror.

Also, do you have any way to post the instructions that came with the mirror kit? I am trying to judge how difficult and installation might be.
Can't get a photo as the wife has the car, but you can see how the wires are hidden (behind a plastic tube that goes up to the headliner) in Fig 3-2 of the instructions.

Instruction pdf is here: http://mazda.handa.com/cx5/cx5mirror.pdf. Just ignore the bit about pulling off the door seal (step 4) you really don't need to do that.

It's very easy - except for the adapter SNAFU I had :)

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I finally got to check the 2013 schematics and found that they DIFFER from 2014. The adapter harness will work fine for 2013 cars as-is.

So this is purely a 2014 model year (+?) issue!

RedBaron,

I just re read your post can you confirm the following:

1. Black wire is ground
2. Red wire is 12v switched
3. Blue wire is 12v constant

4.Are there only 3 wires going to the mirror?

I would have assumed there was a 4th to sense when the car was put into reverse (to negate the auto dimming aspect when backing up), perhaps this mirror doesn't care.

The reason I am asking is that I may be using a non Mazda mirror for my install (same supplier, Gentex) to save a few bucks, and I likely won't be able to buy the patch harness from Mazda separate from the mirror.

Where did you get the a pillar harness pin outs? Alldata?

You got the wire colors right. The accessory mirror does not use the reversing wire. You can just tap into the wires below the C-11 connector... see my photo and extrapolate back to the connector that one plugs in to (for a 2014).

I got the schematic from the Mazda online source that was given in a thread on this forum (sorry I no longer have the link you'll have to search, I just copied what I wanted). But here's the 2013 and 2014 pinouts for the connector to factory autodim mirror (that DOES use the reverse wire):

2013.jpg - 2014.jpg

You got the wire colors right. The accessory mirror does not use the reversing wire. You can just tap into the wires below the C-11 connector... see my photo and extrapolate back to the connector that one plugs in to (for a 2014).

I got the schematic from the Mazda online source that was given in a thread on this forum (sorry I no longer have the link you'll have to search, I just copied what I wanted). But here's the 2013 and 2014 pinouts for the connector to factory autodim mirror (that DOES use the reverse wire):

View attachment 203366 - View attachment 203367

Very helpful. Thanks so much!

Just received my Homelink Mirror, and it works with no modification of the harness on a 2014 Canadian GS. The Blue wire is in position 6 on the top row, not the second row as OP received. Date on my Mirror is either March 5 2013 or May 3 2013.

Maybe they have modified the harness to have blue wire(battery) on top row?

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Thanks to this thread, I could build my own accessory harness for the homelink mirror on the 2015 CX-5.

Got the mirror from ebay for $40, gentex 453 (from an infinity I believe).

First, the 2015 and 2014 share the same wiring. Ground is on pin 6 (black), 12v switched is on 11 (red), 12v constant is on 9 (blue).

I have used 18ga wire because that's what's easily available, but you probably want to use 22ga if available.

As for the inserts into the plug, after much detective work I still couldn't figure out what standard is used in these things. I gave locally available .156 molex connector a try, and it is not a perfect match but gives a solid connection, so I recommend given that they are readily available in most electronic shops.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_011416300.jpg
    IMG_20180524_011416300.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Back