Introducing The All-New 2014 Mazda3!

Antoine

Administrator
<br/>

Official Mazda USA Press Release:

HIROSHIMA, JapanMazda Motor Corporation today revealed the hatchback version of the all-new Mazda3 (known as Mazda Axela in Japan). The redesigned Mazda3 is the third in Mazda's new generation of products that adopt both the KODO - Soul of Motion design theme and the full-suite of SKYACTIV Technologies. The sports compact that will redefine driving pleasure will be launched around the globe, with sales starting in North American markets from autumn this year.

Thanks to the dynamic expressions of KODO design, the Mazda3 suggests exhilarating driving at first glance. In addition, SKYACTIV Technology delivers a "jinba-ittai" experience of oneness between car and driver which deepens with every mile driven. Introduced for the first time with the 3rd generation Mazda3 is a new car connectivity system that broadens the scope of that driving experience. The system features a new Human Machine Interface (HMI) that is designed with the highest priority placed on driving safety. A wide range of Mazda's i-ACTIVSENSE advanced active safety technologies aid the driver in recognizing and avoiding hazards. Mazda has consistently aimed to offer customers driving pleasure and this compelling package ensures the all-new Mazda3 is no exception.

The global engine line-up includes a newly-developed SKYACTIV-G 1.5 liter gasoline engine in addition to 2.0 and 2.5 liter engines and a 2.2 liter clean diesel engine. The line-up will be optimized for each market to meet the diverse needs of a wide variety of customers around the world. A sedan model featuring a hybrid electric powertrain will be available in Japan.

Since the launch of the first generation in 2003, more than 3.5 million Mazda3s have been sold around the world. It is the best-selling model in the Mazda lineup and accounts for a third of the company's annual global sales. Previous generations of the Mazda3 were acclaimed in markets around the world for their emotive design, responsive and enjoyable driving, environmental and safety performance, and excellent craftsmanship. The model has received 136 awards globally.

What do you guys think..?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wv9m7Bx0jxo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would love to know everyone's thoughts
and be sure to keep an eye on our
Forum for the All-New Mazda3, thanks!

Ps...Imagine the MAZDASPEED3 version!​

my critiques:

the front is too long
the face looks too similar to the 6
the wheels are HUGE!
the hatch seems squished so there's not a lot of room in the trunk
mazda won't ever bring the diesel here to the US

the positives:

it sill looks sporty
skyactiv with give good gas mileage
still cheap feeling plastic interior
good body lines, the look of the hatch is good
no silly grin on front

I'll have to see for myself further in person to get a better idea of what the new 2014 Mazda 3 is really like, but those are just my impressions so far.

Looks quite nice, but tweeting and posting on Facebook while driving. It may just be me but that's not exactly the safest thing to be doing while driving =P bit of pointless tech in a car if you ask me.

my critiques:

the front is too long
the face looks too similar to the 6
the wheels are HUGE!
the hatch seems squished so there's not a lot of room in the trunk
mazda won't ever bring the diesel here to the US

the positives:

it sill looks sporty
skyactiv with give good gas mileage
still cheap feeling plastic interior
good body lines, the look of the hatch is good
no silly grin on front

I'll have to see for myself further in person to get a better idea of what the new 2014 Mazda 3 is really like, but those are just my impressions so far.

Mazda already said they are bringing the diesel to the US in the Mazda6. They said it might come in CX-5 and Mazda3s depending on US sales with the Mazda6 diesles.

It's it just me or are front overhangs just getting a lot longer these days? Still, I like how Mazda tried to minimize it.

Wish NY didn't force us to use front plates. This would look much better without a front plate. Maybe it could be repositioned...

I think it looks great. The styling is fresh and looks better than just about everything in its class. I especially dig the centrally mounted tach. I hope this car does well for Mazda.

Last edited:
I hate it.....sort of. It looks exactly like the mazda6 and CX-9 just smaller. What happen to mazda using similar style on the cars and making them look different at the same time. I cant wait for the MS version......

I hate it.....sort of. It looks exactly like the mazda6 and CX-9 just smaller. What happen to mazda using similar style on the cars and making them look different at the same time. I cant wait for the MS version......

I don't know about that, I do see differences. They're not glaring, but they're noticeable. Mazda is trying to create a corporate identity, which is smart. People should be able to look at a car and instantly say "THAT'S a Mazda!" It's difficult to do that without doing stupid things, like slapping a metal bar or crosshair on the front of all your vehicles.

I don't know about that, I do see differences. They're not glaring, but they're noticeable. Mazda is trying to create a corporate identity, which is smart. People should be able to look at a car and instantly say "THAT'S a Mazda!" It's difficult to do that without doing stupid things, like slapping a metal bar or crosshair on the front of all your vehicles.

Exactly. If you look at Lexus, Mercedes, Nissan, Ford and so many others, this is done and when seen you easily associate the style with that particular car company. The interior looks pretty good from the quick video and seems to try to keep up the today consumer demands for over the top technology without over the top pricing. The exterior i may have to see in person or wait for the speed version. Currently I agree the back looks squished and rushed in design, but kinda digging the big mercedes like face.

Glad I bought the CX-5, the new 3 looks like a CX that has been dropped and chopped, and already been there and done that. Now that I saw the spread in MT, it is making sense for CX owners who are power thirsty like me. The new 3 has the same power plant so it wont be long before a turbo speed version is available and maybe it can modded for the CX.

Last edited:
looks awful... but then again i've liked nothing mazda has done since like 06 except the new CX-5

no sedan version?

Sedan was unveiled later.

9265670024_20b9dcc464_b.jpg

9265670092_685e8aa642_b.jpg

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/07/2014-mazda3-sedan-photo-gallery.html

I've always preferred the looks of the Mazda3 sedan to the hatchback, so much so that I bought a 2005 Mazda3s sedan even though I'm a huge hatchback fan in general. However, for the 2014 Mazda3, I think they're both drop-dead gorgeous, with gorgeous and high-quality interiors (I still think the sedan is slightly more elegant looking than the hatch). Huge improvements over the absurd-looking current-gen Mazda3.

I'm seriously considering trading in or selling my 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback early to get into a new Mazda3s hatchback, largely because I'm fed up with the problems with the MyFordTouch system. I love the functionality, but it's a hot mess, and the last update made it much worse in at least a couple of ways. It's a pity, as in every other way, the new Focus is a fantastic car (well, the programming of the PowerShift transmission could use some work, too).

I'm a little concerned with how far forward the engine is mounted in the new Mazda3; the 2012-2013 Focus has the engine mounted a bit further back than most FWD cars, and its weight distribution shows it, being better than most front engine, FWD cars.

I don't think it's the fact that it's mounted far forward. It's probably a combination of the following:

1. The SkyActiv exhaust header is big, and actually makes the engine assembly stick out the front more, adding weight at the very front of the car.
2. Mazda made an effort to push the A pillars back, and kind of make it look like an RWD car.

You can see where the shock towers are, and where they're positioned with respect to the engine. Looks like the engine is a bit further forward than in my 2012 Focus to me. Here's a photo from Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mazda3-first-drive/med/#photo-6025824/

Maybe I should reserve judgement until I see the engine bay for myself. Maybe the angle of that photo makes it seem more forward than it really is.

Last edited:
Yeah it is much more balanced as a sedan, I like it better. Now they just need to make a 5 door version with the same design as the sedan - that would be perfect.

Back