Introducing The All-New 2014 Mazda3!

I like the longer version of this video better. Check it out here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z6AmbXYChLY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6AmbXYChLY

There's a good 3-4 commercials in there if they do the right editing.

Pro: it's laser-focused on the car itself, not stupid things like "heritage" (though Mazda has some nice heritage).

Con: I didn't see or hear the words "Zoom Zoom" anywhere. And it deserves to be there, especially in this clip!

I don't like the front end; it looks too much like the CX-7 and is just too big in my opinion. The whole car looks bigger than the old Mazda3 hatch. I like the HUD, though. Could be a downfall if it causes wrecks, what with everyone tweeting about how cool it is to have a tweeting car while they're driving.

I'm wishing for a 2015 MS3 coupe with hatchback....know those crafty Mazda engineers could pull it off! Just look at those lines of the sedan ..... it would be so sweet..best of the two cars in one fast machine.

Sedan FTW!!!!

In the new car and driver they state that the new Mazda3, even though the skyactiv isn't the newest, will be shipped with 4-2-1 headers stock. Compared with a standard exhaust manifold that they come stock with now. With a much improved gain in midrange torque. It moves the torque band down in-between 2200-2800 with torque at 148, where it doesn't hit that until 4100k with the current skyactiv. But hits peak in the 4k range still. But from what I read you don't get the fancy center tach unless you get the 2.5 model. The 2.0 just deals with standard stuff. So if you want all the special features you'll have to get the big motor. I liked that little fact, and that the hatch has a drag coefficient of .28, but the sedan is even better at .26. For comparison a Nissan GT-R has the same amount of drag as the new sedan, and less than a Porshe, or Audi.

And I'm more or less talking about the 2.5

Last edited:
I work at a Mazda dealership so I drive these almost everyday. The front end on them looks a LOT better than the previous generation (but let's be honest they didn't set a very high bar with that abomination). It stands out, but without saying 'hey look at my ugly face' like last gen. The hatchback version looks too 'hunched' over like how an old person looks if they have some sort of spinal disorder. The sedan on the other hand looks quite decent. The interior looks a bit cheap though. The large touch screen that is protruding on top of the middle of the dashboard looks completely out of place and tacky. I felt the placement could have been thought out a bit better.

My final thoughts. I still think Mazda has a ways to go to refine the looks of their 3s again after they changed them from the 08 and before models but this new model is definitely a step in the right direction. I am interested to see if they will make a mazdaspeed version of this and if so how much 'better' they can make it look.

i checked one out at the dealer today as i got my oil change. The interior looks pretty good and i don't have much complaints about it. But i don't really like the dash layout, i prefer the analog gauge setup that mine has and and cx5, it just cleaner and looks better, even if its slightly "dated". also those back seats are not that roomy at all, feels cramped and my knees touch the seat back, i am 5' 7". My 6 has way more room, comparing apples to oranges, compact vs mid. but overall its still an awesome car, I need to test drive one next time

I work at a Mazda dealership so I drive these almost everyday. The front end on them looks a LOT better than the previous generation (but let's be honest they didn't set a very high bar with that abomination). It stands out, but without saying 'hey look at my ugly face' like last gen. The hatchback version looks too 'hunched' over like how an old person looks if they have some sort of spinal disorder. The sedan on the other hand looks quite decent. The interior looks a bit cheap though. The large touch screen that is protruding on top of the middle of the dashboard looks completely out of place and tacky. I felt the placement could have been thought out a bit better.

My final thoughts. I still think Mazda has a ways to go to refine the looks of their 3s again after they changed them from the 08 and before models but this new model is definitely a step in the right direction. I am interested to see if they will make a mazdaspeed version of this and if so how much 'better' they can make it look.

Working for Mazda you should be aware of the reasoning behind their designs. Mazda's are amazing cars that are very well engineered. For example, the 7" TFT display is set on the dash for multiple reasons...It is a module head structure that is flexible to future upgrade or expansion. It is mounted at just the right height for visibility. Can you imagine if it were built into the dash? You would get what Toyota did in the new Corolla.

Read about it here: http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2013/201309/130924b.html

I drive a 2012 Mazda3Sport and I love my car. Grille and all.

Looks quite nice, but tweeting and posting on Facebook while driving. It may just be me but that's not exactly the safest thing to be doing while driving =P bit of pointless tech in a car if you ask me.

As a safety feature the touch screen function disables during driving. You have to use the commander like in the clip...certainly if you drive stick... you can handle the knob easily while driving. There are voice commands that run with the system. If you have a status update come in you can tell the system to "read" through the voice prompt key on the steering wheel. Same with text, email, and other applications. Imagine you are in bumper to bumper traffic (boring)...at the least you'll have some form of entertainment besides the radio.

I happen to agree, the sedan does look a little better. But I prefer the utility of the hatch.

Agree. Was really hoping I'd fall in love with the new 3 hatchback design, but I can't get passed the longer front end. Looks like it'll be a CX-5 for me.

Agree. Was really hoping I'd fall in love with the new 3 hatchback design, but I can't get passed the longer front end. Looks like it'll be a CX-5 for me.

The longer front end is one of the sexiest features of the car, IMO! Many of the car mag reviewers have also commented on it. I love the shooting brake style of the hatchback.

I finally saw one on the road two days ago, equipped with front and rear LEDs, in which I had no idea what it was! With that, after getting a closer look, I realized it was the new 3. So yeah, I was definitely impressed!!

I have one of these :3 and I absolutely adore it. The instrument cluster above the steering wheel can be a bit of a nuisance for me personally as you cannot make it brighter from what I know.

I have one of these :3 and I absolutely adore it. The instrument cluster above the steering wheel can be a bit of a nuisance for me personally as you cannot make it brighter from what I know.

The brightness automatically adjusts on the HUD display, and the instrument cluster brightness can be adjusted by turning the trip reset button.

Back