CX9 Drive Shaft/Propeller Shaft, Brake Bearing and Transfer Case Issues

:
Mazda CX9
I've just spent $4,000 getting these items replaced at a local dealer (I'm at 80k so outside of warranty) after complaining for months to dealers about the vibration in my CX9. Dealer was helpful but after Mazda USA refuses to acknowledge or address known issues with tranfer cases, drive shafts and brake bearings. Symptoms: vibrations while driving between 30-40mph, scraping noises in wheel areas, clunky sounds. A few internet searches produces many many complaints. These are HUGE safety issues. I reached out to 4 friends/fellow employees I know who have the same car and they are all having similar issues. The service manager and multiple employees at two dealers acknowledge these are known issues by dealers but Mazda USA not dealing with it.

Mazda USA needs to own these issues and repair these a no cost to owners. If you own this car, get it checked now.

I am getting the same issues with my CX-9. Burning oil smell after the drive. Loud clanking noises that come in and go. This morning the noise was really bad and the car shook and jerked while slowing down. at one point it seems that the wheel was locked. Had left it to the dealer for inspection last week but he returned it with no trouble found. This morning it was so bad that had to get it towed to the dealer. After few hours he called and said that the Transfer case (PTO) went bad and needs to be replaced. According to him it was a very common problem with CX-9. I am at 45 K + and it is a 2012 CX-9. Even then the dealer thinks that it will be no cost to me and the TC will be replaced as it is covered through the power train warranty.

I again got a call that they will need to keep the car (initially he said he had a spare TC). So will see. There are a lot of complaints online about the TC. Not sure why Mazda is not recalling this part. Seems according to the dealer Mazda has redesigned this part.

Back