Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete rear strut assembly

2002 Protege5

Don't use it at home either except taking lug nuts off which is why I don't bother getting another to have one at home.

Back in the shop, I did brakes very nearly as fast as the guys using impacts for everything except I never had a comeback due to my work. I don't think I've even used it at my current job except when I first started and was tearing engines down for scrapping. (big bolts, lots of them, and threaded deep). I take that back, I do use a big 3/4" to pull head bolts to R&R heads but we use a 6' handle on the 3/4"ratchet that tightens them and it's still hard.

I'm not saying they're evil spawn of satan, just that in my experience they don't save that much time if you're already taking the time to do a good job. Some but not a lot. An impact is a lifesaver when you need it...I just don't find myself needing it often. If it's rusted on that tight, I usually use PB blaster and/or heat. If that doesn't work the bolt will break no matter what I use.

The exception (where I LOVE an impact) is a hammer impact or my small electric impact for phillips head bolts on old jap bikes. JIS or not, those bastards strip out easy when they haven't moved for 35 years but an impact will get it out without destroying the head 95% of the time, The last 5% is when someone previously tried without one. Once out, they usually get replaced with SS allen head bolts.
    Last edited by kamesama980; 07-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to blame me for how I fix what you broke."
    03 Mazda Protege5 auto
    12 Nissan Frontier V6 6 speed
    90 Toyota Cressida I6 5 speed
    94 Pontiac Firebird LT1 V8 6 speed
    01 BMW R1200C

'02 P5 White

A buddy of mine has the exact same car with the exact same rear suspension noises. We switched out his struts, mounts, spring insulators and end links. I think the strut mounts were causing the noise but now it's all good back there. He went with Monroe parts but I'm thinking of going with the KYB GR2. However, KYB spring insulators aren't available on Amazon. Anybody know if the Monroe insulators will work with the KYB struts? I'm assuming it would, but I figured I would ask before I ordered.

BTW, we needed a torch and an impact wrench on the nuts on the end links. Those suckers did not want to come off.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-906942-...ring+insulator

2001 mazda protege mp3

All spring insulators will be the same

As for the end links I tried to loosen mine and as soon as It gave me a little bit of trouble I broke out the saw saw not sure why they thought an Allen screw was a good idea, new ones have actual bolts

'02 P5 White

Quote Originally Posted by tweety2300 View Post
    All spring insulators will be the same

As for the end links I tried to loosen mine and as soon as It gave me a little bit of trouble I broke out the saw saw not sure why they thought an Allen screw was a good idea, new ones have actual bolts
    I thought all the insulators would be the same design, but I've been sure about some things before...

We picked up new links for his car at NAPA and they had the Allen head in the bolt design.

2001 mazda protege mp3

Mine came from autozone or advance

Registered Member

02 Protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by tweety2300 View Post
    Spring compressors are simple, an impact will take up way less time but I've done it with a ratchet as well. Stay away from Monroe they're garbage
    Trying to the revive this thread lol. What makes the Monroe stuff bad? I am thinking of going with the quickstruts and would like to know what you think of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12