Show your support and Donate!
Show your support and Donate!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete rear strut assembly

'02 P5 White

Complete rear strut assembly

Does anyone know where I can get a complete strut/spring assembly for the rear for a 2002 P5? Stock height and ride. I've searched KYB and Monroe but came up empty. Monroe sells a complete front assembly but for the rear you can only get individual parts (struts, boots, etc). Mine are the originals at 118K. Clunky noise coming from the rear. Not bad yet. I hear it when I'm driving at low speeds in a straight line on smooth streets. It doesn't get worse with bumps or turning. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side rear. Don't know if it's strut related or end links or what, but at 118K it might be about time for new struts anyways. A friend of mine has an '02 with 114K that's doing the same thing but a little worse. We'll probably repair both our cars at the same time.

I have searched the forums for struts but didn't come across this exact question. Thanks for any input!

02 protege5

not available for the rear at least none of the venders i know carry it and neither does my job fronts are available but not rears

'02 P5 White

Thanks whatusername. Interesting that you can get a complete front but not rear. It would make sense if they were interchangeable. Oh well, guess I better get familiar with a spring compressor.

2001 mazda protege mp3

Spring compressors are simple, an impact will take up way less time but I've done it with a ratchet as well. Stay away from Monroe they're garbage

'02 P5 White

Quote Originally Posted by tweety2300 View Post
    Spring compressors are simple, an impact will take up way less time but I've done it with a ratchet as well. Stay away from Monroe they're garbage
    Thanks tweety. Which brand do you recommend? Keeping things stock, BTW. This will become my daughter's car soon enough.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Tokico is a good brand. The HP Blue are tuned a bit stiffer than OEM. I replaced all struts in a Honda Accord with them.

2001 mazda protege mp3

Tokico blues are awesome I have 170k on my front stock ones. Handles great but expensive

But since it will just be your daughters car I'd say kyb gr2 will be fine. I have them on my 323 and I like them but they're not stiff enough for my tastes rides pretty comfortable though

Lancer Ralliart Sportback

Rent the spring compressor tools, buy a Dewalt Heavy Duty Electric Impact wrench. Yer gonna' need it again for sumpthin'! I love mine. When you need it - you really need it.
    I used to have a
    Black Mica Protege5
    Mods:
    MP3 ECU
    Hawk Pads
    OBX Header
    AWR Mounts
    Tokico Blues
    Eibach Pro Kit
    Underdrive Pulley
    Kartboy Bushings
    ThermoBlok Spacers
    Kumho ECSTA AST tires
    Fabricated Ground Wire Kit
    VTCS-Less Intake (Ported)
    Fabricated SRI w/ K&N Filter
    Fog lights on with parking lights

Audio:
    Kenwood Head Unit
    Kenwood Mono Amp
    Custom 10" Enclosures
    Boston Accoustic 1" Tweets
    Rockford/Fosgate Punch 50

2001 mazda protege mp3

Impacts are awesome, saves so much time, I can do brake pads on 15 minutes with one

2002 Protege5

Complete strut assemblies or quick-struts are made where there is demand. fronts get replaced more often by shops because they're more noticeable when bad to less trained individuals and people think they're more important (where the engine and steering is). Might also break more springs.

late 90s-early 00s Tauruses have quick struts available in all 4 corners because you don't see one with the original rear springs unbroken past 50k. When the front springs go, 9 times out of 10 they take the front tires with them (funsies).

I will agree that an impact is worth the money in general but other than getting the wheel off, I don't see how it saves much time on brakes: I've never had a problem getting them apart when put together properly (including using a torque wrench) and most of my time spent is cleaning/lubing the brackets and slides.
    Last edited by kamesama980; 07-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to blame me for how I fix what you broke."
    03 Mazda Protege5 auto
    12 Nissan Frontier V6 6 speed
    90 Toyota Cressida I6 5 speed
    94 Pontiac Firebird LT1 V8 6 speed
    01 BMW R1200C

2001 mazda protege mp3

Quote Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
    Complete strut assemblies or quick-struts are made where there is demand. fronts get replaced more often by shops because they're more noticeable when bad to less trained individuals and people think they're more important (where the engine and steering is). Might also break more springs.

late 90s-early 00s Tauruses have quick struts available in all 4 corners because you don't see one with the original rear springs unbroken past 50k. When the front springs go, 9 times out of 10 they take the front tires with them (funsies).

I will agree that an impact is worth the money in general but other than getting the wheel off, I don't see how it saves much time on brakes: I've never had a problem getting them apart when put together properly (including using a torque wrench) and most of my time spent is cleaning/lubing the brackets and slides.
    You've never had to deal with rust or idiots stripping the caliper bolts. Not to mention motor mounts or basically anywhere it will fit it will make life way easier

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

Damn. Wish you were local. My oems had maybe 20k on them before going with Tokicos. They are in garage in the Illumina boxes. Shipping cost would suck tho...............

2001 mazda protege mp3

USPS flat rate, they should fit

2002 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by tweety2300 View Post
    You've never had to deal with rust or idiots stripping the caliper bolts. Not to mention motor mounts or basically anywhere it will fit it will make life way easier
    Worked in a shop in the rust belt for a few years in school doing a lot of brakes, struts, alignments, etc, and most my cars are rustbuckets. 6 point sockets, a good (and long) ratchet, and the proper angle go a long way. Like I said though: good but doesn't save me much time with brakes.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2001 mazda protege mp3

I could see where it wouldn't when you have a lift

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast