Wrong Brake Pads???

ProbeChris

:
2003 MSP
After installing my new Autozone pads I'm having some issues. The fronts look like they're only making contact with a small portion of the rotor. After quite a bit of searching it looks like these were the same part # as regular Proteges that use a smaller pad. Is this what is causing this:

IMG_20130627_114828_410_zps195ec983.jpg

The pads look like they have more surface area than what's making contact with the rotor, but they're just not making contact.

I felt a little drag on the way to work this morning as well, couldn't tell if it was the fronts or rears tho...

Yes they are different, but that's some uneven wear. You either installed them wrong or its just from the smaller pads

Definitely not getting proper wear. Have you noticed a lack of braking performance?

Just swapped the pads around and that seemed to work for the front of the rotor, however now im worried that the back wont wear correctly either. One of the front pads has a little metal clip thing on it and i made sure i replaced the pads according to how they were installed before. The brakes do feel kind of spongy compared to before but i didnt open the system while changing pads...

Did the new pads move smoothly inside their tracks...? Biggest rookie mistake people make with brakes is just throwing pads on and assuming the grease will take care of everything. You need to sand the track the pads sit in and usually the little tabs on the pads as well to get them to fit nice.

Autozone lists the wrong pads for our cars. Did you match up the brake pads when you changed them? They are not the same as those used on the regular protg. Our rotors are bigger and have more surface area for the pad to contact. I believe our pads are the same as those used on a 2002 626 V6.

This happened to me too when I ran their pads. You'll have to get 2003 Mazda6 pads in the front. The rear should still be fine.

Same thing just happened to me, if you look at the outer original pads and the outer autozone pads, the only difference I see is that there are two pins on the autozone pads that hit the caliper clamp. Thus causing abnormal wear, such as the wear u see in this picture. only wearing on the bottom because those pins are on the top. Has anyone found a solution other than $166 pads from the dealer. Does the mazda 3 2003 pads actually work?

Swapping the inner and outter pads seemed to have fixed my situation. The pads I removed were identical in size to the new ones, they may've been the wrong ones as well though. Next time I'll be sure to just pick up a set of 626 pads.

The 93-02 626 pads are the same part # as the 99-02 protege pad's on most every cross reference im checking. To make it even more confusing.

get the pads for a 2002 mazda 626 with a v6 motor. they are the correct pads. just did mine and they work perfectly. hope your not driving around to long with the regular protege pads in because theyll cause uneven wear when you eventually get bigger pads(made that mistake before)

^
Motor size doesnt matter on the 626's. They all had the same brake system even if it was a base model 4 banger. And the Pad's themselves didnt change since 1993. All the same. The only thing that ever changed was the rotor size, and the caliper bracket itself on the GE 626/mx6/probe's. ;)

Last edited:
^
Motor size doesnt matter on the 626's. They all had the same brake system even if it was a base model 4 banger. And the Pad's themselves didnt change since 1993. All the same. The only thing that ever changed was the rotor size, and the caliper bracket itself on the GE 626/mx6/probe's. ;)
Incorrect, please try again... Look at AutoZone's website 2002 626 v6 brake pad part # is DG755. 2002 626 4 Cylinder brake pad part # is DG637. Clearly not the same set of pads. The DG755's will fit the MSP correctly. I have put them on several MSP's with no issues, they match the OE pads.

Last edited:
this looks like a combination of improper installation and wrong part. you shouldnt need to sand down the tracks that the pads ride in unless there is a heavy amount of rust, but you should be applying antiseize compound to the tracks aswell as the sliding tubes (blanking on correct name of this part, they are the small cylinders that the caliper slides back and forth on which allows for a single piston caliper design to work.) i hope you turned/replaced your rotors when you installed the new pads also.

Dirtysouth, thx for the part number for the pads. Are the Dg755 for both front and back?

Dirtysouth, thx for the part number for the pads. Are the Dg755 for both front and back?
No problem man. The backs are different. AutoZone's website actually has the rear pads listed correctly. The part number is DG332. I just put a set of these on my car last week. Also, if anyone wants an alternative for front pads, check out Napa's Adaptive One brake pads (part number AD7624) they have a lifetime noise free guarantee. That means you can get them replaced for free so long as they do not have excessive uneven wear and you take them back before the wear indicators touch. Just take them back in and tell them they are making noise. I use these pads on the front of my MSP.

Back