Big battery in little Mazda

BigBlueDart

:
2012 Mazda2 Touring MT
Just something I've been wondering about. Does the 2 really need a battery that takes up so much space in the engine bay? In particular just seeing that AN7 had to relocate the battery to the boot in order to make room for his turbo build, I'm curious if a smaller sized battery would be sufficient?

I am planning on putting in the Ballistic one which is 3.5lbs. I know Andy has one in his and I think Andres does as well.

The Braille ones are good as well.

I was thinking of the same thing when I installed my SRI. And the ECU...it's part of the old intake, I got to find a way to relocate it too.

I guess if were talking ballistic I am opting for the 12 cell unit 2.44 LBS 410 CCA it's been on my wish list for a few months. Andres I assume is running the 8 cell, 1.7 LBS 275 CCA

The 16 Cell is 3.5 LBS and is 500 CCA

Andres how often do you drive that car?

The stock battery is also heavy for its specs(exide 530cca battery is 3-4lbs lighter and bigger), but, one time i forgot the radio and was playing for almost two days straight and i didn't have any problem at all the time that i crank it.

Can anyone offer some insight as to how you hookup a ballistic battery, from the pictures it doesn't look like they have terminals made for cars on them, as it's a motorcycle battery. I imagine there is a clever DIY way, or maybe a separate adapter kit?

Search this site , some ware around 8 months ago I posted photos of Ballistic battery mount and installation.

Search this site , some ware around 8 months ago I posted photos of Ballistic battery mount and installation.

found the pics but i'm still not sure how the stock cables hook up to the ballistic terminals, andres pictures showed this a little more clearly than yours but on his setup it almost looks like the stock battery cables are welded/attached to a small bracket, that then screws down onto the ballistic battery terminals, is that how it hooks up?

The Ballistic battery accepts brass adapters which are secured with the 6mm top bolt in photos. Your OEM terminal clamps will work without modification. I have the 3.5 lb Ballistic in the 2 and a 4.5 lithium from another manufacturer in my 3. The Ballistic was easier to install and so far has worked perfectly. The 2 is my daily driver and I have had no problems with starting or maintaining a charge.

The Ballistic battery accepts brass adapters which are secured with the 6mm top bolt in photos. Your OEM terminal clamps will work without modification. I have the 3.5 lb Ballistic in the 2 and a 4.5 lithium from another manufacturer in my 3. The Ballistic was easier to install and so far has worked perfectly. The 2 is my daily driver and I have had no problems with starting or maintaining a charge.

well now i feel stupid, you guys make it look so complicated in the pictures!

Back