LED Daytime Running Lights

jaynh

:
Mazda Mazda5 Touring 2012
I installed these LED Daytime Running Lights on my 2012 Mazda5. They look OEM and work great!
The LED Bezels are an exact replacement of the OEM bezels, they feel like the same thick plastic material.
The LEDs are permanently attached with clear lens, chrome reflectors and a metal heatsink in the back.
The tabs and foglight mounting tabs match up perfectly with the originals.

I purchased them from eBay for around $170 shipped from Taiwan. Took about a week and a half to get here.

Bezel installation is as easy as changing the foglight bulb: unscrew and peel back the splashguards in front of each wheel to access the backside of the bezels. The wiring harness comes with the controller, fuse tap and connectors. Everything needed to wire them up are included.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!pIFEliIVIT3BRLppQO9HQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!pIFEliIVIT3BRLppQO9HQ~~60_3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,666
  • $T2eC16h,!)0E9s37Ie,2BRcjw41ZWg~~60_3.jpg
    $T2eC16h,!)0E9s37Ie,2BRcjw41ZWg~~60_3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 4,409
  • IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 2,579
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 2,736
Last edited:
The LED DRLs came with instructions that are in Chinese Characters only (see attached pdf).
I had a co-worker translate them for me (see attached doc file) She grew up in Hong Kong and is not a car girl, but the translation helped in figuring out which wires go where.

There are two options to wire the LEDs:
1) Connect the blue wire to the parking light wire (blue/white) and the LEDs will dim when the parking lights are on.
2) Leave the blue wire disconnected and you will have bright LEDs all the time.

The LEDs will turn on when the car is turned on. They are white and quite bright (almost as bright as the OEM Audi's and Mercedes DRLs).
There is a delay when the car is shut off - they remain on for another 10 seconds or so. I did not see any way to alter the delay timing.
If you go with option 1) above, the LEDs will dim when the parking lights/headlights are turned on.

Overall I am very happy with them. I didn't want to go and stick aftermarket LED strips which can fall off nor did I want to take the headlight apart. They look like it came original from the factory. Highly recommended if you desire oem-looking daytime running lights.

Attachments

• Mazda5 DRL Panel Install sm.pdf
    675.4 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Mazda5 DRL Panel Install.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:
Hey I think they look great, and they may save you from having some clown pull out in front of you.

They look excellent. DO you know if they will fit an MY2008? Im not sure of the differences yet with the model years

They look excellent. DO you know if they will fit an MY2008? Im not sure of the differences yet with the model years

These will only fit 2012 and 2013 Mazda 5's. 2010 and older models have a much smaller and different-shaped bezel.

I'm in UK, paid about 80 to get daytime running lights fitted at Mazda when i purchased it new. All it is the headlights permanently on!!
These look good....do you have a link, i cant find them!

'Just got the same ones (via your eBay link.) Thanks!
The installation looks very straightfoward. I will be connecting the blue wire to the parking lights for the dimming function. However, I'm also considering connecting the white wire (for the off-when-headlights-are-on function,) to the fog light positive wire instead of the headlight one, so that when the fog lights are on, the DRL turns off. Or I might *only* use the dim function. Can't decide yet. I'm more concerned about blinding oncoming drivers if they stay on while I also have the fog lights on.
Thoughts?

Just took a look at the install docs, your translation, and my 5; It seems my big hands will have a hard time working in that wheel well - especially on the passenger side where there seems to be both the coolant expansion tank and windshield washer fluid tank. So, I'm just going to put her on a ramp and drop the bumper to do the job.

'Still deciding on whether I *only* want to use the dimming function.

Just wanted to chime in, one last time, to say THANKS for posting the translation! I handwrote them over the original instructions. The install went smooth with no hiccups, despite me choosing the bumper removal route. Took me a little less than 2 hours from setup to clean up... taking my sweet time. My hands would have never been able to work in that wheel well, so I'm glad I dropped the bumper (following the video here, with the exception that my Mazda 5 didn't have centrally located clips) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRqjb7gFsWE

I decided to auto dim only when the headlights are on (connecting the blue wire to the headlight's positive wire) and the auto off function when the high-beams are on (connecting the white wire to the high-beam's positive wire.) Very happy with it. Of course, I replaced the bulbs on the headlights, high beams, and fog lights, with white bulbs, because the LED's really make the stock bulbs look super yellow.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I just got mine in the mail. They shipped quickly but sat in customs for a week and a half. The instructions now have the English version included so that's nice I guess.

One question. Where should I connect the power wire to? I have no idea what's what when it comes to finding a good accessory wire under the hood.

Finally got around to fitting this (OEM look) kit today (after 8 months of it sitting on the shelf).

I have installed the lights fine (went down the bumper removal route).

But, there is a problem: The connector shown on the Chinese instructions for the VCC wire is nothing like the one that I got in my pack.

On the VCC wire (red) it basically has a snap on fit plain connector with which I can connect another wire which contains a plastic box with a large fuse inside it.

I removed the 15AMP fuse, as instructed from the fuse box, but there is no way it fits in that space where the fuse is. Am I missing something here?

Guess I will be taking it to an auto electrician to finish it off...

14678108366_87bea45c59_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wish you were in LA and not in SD. Don't have enough confidence in myself to do the wiring.

Looks great!

Wish you were in LA and not in SD. Don't have enough confidence in myself to do the wiring.

Looks great!

Ok, so for anyone that had the same problem as me, the kit doesn't include this essential bit (fuse tap/piggy-back):

Auto-Car-Add-a-Circuit-ATM-TAP-Low-Profile-Blade-Fuse-Holder-with-7-5A-10A.jpg_350x350.jpg

Once, you've bought this, the install is pretty simple, and can be attempted by anyone that can disconnect a battery and wire a plug.

I just got a 2010 Sport and it lacks fogs and running lights. I would like to have both very much. Any kits out there I can get? Looked around on Ebay with no luck.

These look pretty cool, but I would be concerned about cost vs. the lifespan of the lights. Anyone has had any problems with them (like they stop working)?

Latest posts

Back