VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas

Thread: Creaking around seat belt next to drivers side door on 2013 GT

Registered Member

Creaking around seat belt next to drivers side door on 2013 GT

I hate creaks on cars (especially brand new ones!!) and our 2013 GT has developed one which I'm looking for some help to fix.

It appears to be coming from just below where the seat belt adjuster is between the front and sliding rear doors.

I have tried moving the seat belt adjuster up and down and that doesn't seem to help. The only thing that does is giving the plastic a good thump but that only fixes it for a short time.

Anyone have a similar experience and if so how did they fix it?

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6 - auto

It could be the sliding side door seals. The dealer can adjust the door, but it may not sit flush. Try cleaning the door seals. This may make the "creak" go away or get worse :-).

Registered Member

2012 Mazda5 Sport

It has something to do with the sliding doors. Our 2012 has creaks coming from both sides. I think seals and latch points are the two sources of the noise.

2015 Soul Red 6 Sport Auto 2016 Accord EX Auto

I have the same noise in ours, usually at low speeds, around corners, while gently rolling on/off the throttle.

Zoom•Zoom

It's normal body flexing sounds and usually it is the seals. Nothing to worry.
    2012 LIQUID SILVER MAZDA5 GRAND TOURING **SOLD**
    2015 SOUL RED MAZDA CX-5 GRAND TOURING**SOLD**

Registered Member

Thanks for the responses folks. I did give the seals around the sliding door a good clean (not that it looked dirty) and that seems to have helped a bit. Even if it does come back, it is good to know that it isn't serious.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda5

I've had this problem on and off for a few years now and just had it fixed today. Mazda has issued a bulletin with a fix. The bulletin is 09-028/11, issued 10/27/2011. The fix involves removing the rubber stoppers from the sliding doors and adding 3mm of padding to them. I've only driven about 10 miles since the fix but the problem (which was pretty bad before) has completely resolved.

Edit: I forgot that when you post in a forum the whole thread gets shot up to the top so I guess I didn't need to post this twice but I found the two different threads via a Google search and wanted to cover anyone who came searching for a solution to this problem. Sorry for the repetition!
    Last edited by michaelhhlee; 02-09-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Contributor

2010 Mazda5 GT | 2014 Kia Soul !

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhhlee View Post
    I've had this problem on and off for a few years now and just had it fixed today. Mazda has issued a bulletin with a fix. The bulletin is 09-028/11, issued 10/27/2011. The fix involves removing the rubber stoppers from the sliding doors and adding 3mm of padding to them. I've only driven about 10 miles since the fix but the problem (which was pretty bad before) has completely resolved.

Edit: I forgot that when you post in a forum the whole thread gets shot up to the top so I guess I didn't need to post this twice but I found the two different threads via a Google search and wanted to cover anyone who came searching for a solution to this problem. Sorry for the repetition!
    Thank you for posting the bulletin number. Here's a URL to the PDF:

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/libra...28-11-2600.pdf
    Last edited by Hank3; 02-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Contributor

2013 Mazda5 Sport AT

Thanks for reviving the thread. Now I have something to add to my Mazda 5 "to do" list.

1974 Mazda RX-4 wagon - lots of stick time learning to drive
    2002 Mazda 626 - owned
    2013 Mazda 5 Sport - own

Registered Member

2012 Mazda5

Update: If you are out of warranty DO NOT have the TSB done. I had it done twice and it does nothing (the first time the dealer used only 1mm of foam and the second time they added more foam). Both times the rattling/creaking/groaning returned within 2 days. The charge for that is about $100 at least here in Washington if you are out of warranty.

Instead, first try this trick I learned from the Chrysler minivan forums: put electrical tape on the striker. I did one side and the sound went away and then the other and now both are quiet. It's only been today so who knows if it'll last but it's almost free and worth a try before spending any money at the dealer. I'll post a picture when I get to my computer.

Edit: It seems like this forum only supports uploading photos that are already hosted online. It's just some black tape around the "U" shaped striker (the part that the door latches onto).

This is the thread that I got the trick from. Lots of satisfied people there. Hopefully this solves the problem once and for all and the only thing left to do is to train myself into not wincing every time I drive off in expectation of the sound.
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ng+door+rattle
    Last edited by michaelhhlee; 03-23-2016 at 11:56 PM.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhhlee View Post
    Edit: It seems like this forum only supports uploading photos that are already hosted online.
    You can also attach pictures with your reply/post. If you use the "Go Advanced" method of replying, scroll down to Manage Attachments.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda5

Quote Originally Posted by Hank3 View Post
    You can also attach pictures with your reply/post. If you use the "Go Advanced" method of replying, scroll down to Manage Attachments.
    Thank you!

By way of update it has been a couple of days now with the tape and it is still working perfectly. The car feels more solid and well built now that the rear doors don't constantly sound like they are going to fall off. Hopefully the picture works so you can all see what an incredibly simple thing this is. The $1.49 roll (actually two rolls) of electrical tape is definitely having an outsized effect. It's like a new car. I've spent just under $2000 this year on new wheels and tires and HID's and who would have thought its would be this tape that made the biggest difference?

IMG_3319.JPG

Contributor

The pic works for me. Thank you for posting. Easy and cheap fixes are the best in the car modding world!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2009 Mazda5 GT

After 7 years I only hear one rattle and this may fix it. It's behind my head when riding shotgun and sounds like it's by the handle.