Poor quality of workmanship and overpriced servicing, a way of life?

CX-5_MAZDA

:
2012 MAZDA CX-5 Maxx Sport
Went in for my first dealer service today and was very disappointed (hard to believe considering it was free)!!

First off, the car went in relatively clean and come out with water-makes all over it as if someone sprayed hot coolant into the air next to my car.
2nd, there was oil smears over my windscreen where they removed the old service sticker. The new one didnt stick very well LOL .
3rd, lucky I had a look over the car before my partner drove it home as the bonnet was unhooked. She didn't even notice.
4th, the recept states they did stuff I can prove they never did! Like:
'Replaced oil and filter' they don't generally do this on the first service and in my case, I know they didn't, I checked. (Original filter still there (I marked it) and oil on dipstick was not new).
'Inspected battery electrolyte level and specific gravity' they didn't do it, I checked. (there is a fine coat of dust over the battery and none of it has been disturbed so they never touched it).

Cant prove the other stuff but its not looking favourable.

My point is, this was a very minor inspection/service and there was errors/laziness from car to receipt. It seems that all the stories I hear and things I see for myself, that, 'bad'n'expencive' servicing is a fact of life. My cousin is a mechanic and he said "the hardest part of my apprenticeship, was learning how to lie to people and twist the truth" ["Yes Miss Smith, you need to change your 'halogen' every service or you may find yourself in the dark".]

I might sound anti-mechanic but I'm not, I'm anti business that cuts corners, charge big $$$ and don't encourage a hi-quality of workmanship from there capable workers. And yes I am a mechanic too, but of a different bread. If corners are cut in my workplace, bad things can happen.

Any positive/negative comments?

Hah! And you're from Darwin! Maybe this is Darwinism at work? Survival of the fittest service dealerships?

Seriously though, my car is too new to have even had it's first service, but I too am dreading the experience. Who knows, maybe mine will be fine? (Glass half full, anyone?)

Go back and tell the service manager, or who ever is in charge, all the things you just told us. Calling them out is the only way they will ever fix anything. The more people that do it the faster it will be improved.

The worst that could happen is they will remember you for next time, and make sure they do everything correctly for you since they know you will be back to complain if its not right. I have a dealer that knows me like this from 1 service trip. It is a Jeep dealer, and long story short, my wife went in for an oil change and received a $1,400 bill. Stating that she needed to have her whole power steering rack replaced because it was leaking, the Jeep only had 37,000 miles give or take. When my wife refused the service they denied to turn over our Jeep, saying it was not safe on the road.

No it's now a way of life based on my US ownership experience (15 months) with a Mazda CX-5. Workmanship and dealer service pricing and quality has been very good so far.

Trusting a dealer is not wise. One is typically better off avoiding them if possible, even if it means accepting living w/ some minor issues. Even fixing some kinds of issues yourself can be the best thing to do all things considered. Once I bought a car and later discoverd the rear seatbelts were partially cut. My dealer acknowledeged the defect and was more than willing to replace them, but I asked for and was granted the option of replacing them myself (dealer provided the new belts). Was it my labor? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes, as I know the job was done right, with no collateral damage. Plus I fixed a few more items I discoverd once I had the interior gutted.

If you marked the oil filter why didn't you bring it to the attention of the service manager, before you left the garage.

I would be asking for the oil and filter to be changed.

If you marked the oil filter why didn't you bring it to the attention of the service manager, before you left the garage.

I would be asking for the oil and filter to be changed.

If it was me, and I had so much distrust in the dealer that I would go through all the trouble of marking the oil filter to see if they would change it, I would have made sure to have inspected the filter and called out the service manager on this "oversight" before the car even left the dealership lot.

So, why didn't our Australian friend let his partner leave with a car that hadn't actually been serviced, and why did he bring it to a dealer he didn't trust in the first place?

BC.

I did go into this place with high hopes but was so disappointed!

Bladecutter, I knew they wouldn't change the oil and filter as its not part on the complimentary service and I didn't ask for it as an extra. But when I got home, and had a look over the receipt, it read 'Replaced oil and filter' among other things. I thought 'TO GOOD TO BE TRUE'. Went and had a look and I was right. Same with the battery. Anyway, so I might be jumping to conclusions and they have just made a mistake on the receipt, but if this service WASN'T free, I would have been charged for stuff they didn't do! (how would most of the non-mechanical people that go there ever know?)

Going to keep an eye on these guys and hopes up they surprise me with GOOD honest service next time! In which case I have absolutely no problems paying top $$$ for! If not, they won't just lose my business!

Cheers guys!

Its hard to imagine this happening around here where I live (near Boston, MA.) There is a lot of competition between the dealers, and you get bombarded with "how did we do?" surveys every time you visit the dealer for any reason, including routine service. I have experienced this same thing with several different brands. For the most part I have had good luck; once I had a bad experience at the Honda dealership and so I rated them badly on the survey. Holy crap did that stir up a sh*t storm. I got calls not only from the service manager, and GM of the dealership but from Honda corporate as well. This is my first Mazda, and I haven't hit the 1st service yet, but I expect they will be as competitive and service-oriented as the other dealerships in the area.

Time to find a different dealership to go to. Not all dealerships are the same, and it sounds like you found a bad one. Id move on. You might have to drive a little more, but its worth it to have things done correctly.

I only take my vehicles to the dealer if it's something that needs fixed under warranty. I had a Mazda 3 years ago that would leak a small amount of coolant intermittently, I took that in and since it wasn't something they could fix that day, they got me a rental car since I live out of state from their dealership. I didn't even buy the car from them, they were just the closest dealer to me.

I used to work at a dealership and even though most the mechanics were good and honest, the service adviser would always find something that needed "fixed". I can't remember the exact amount, but that dealer would average something like 50K a month just in the service department and the service adviser was paid salary and 5% commission on total service sales.

I have found that my dealer is ok with warranty work but when it comes to service work my experience hasn't been so good. First time they crushed the aerodynamic flat plastic under the car with the lift and second time they scratched the plastic air box with their tools. When I asked the service advisor if they use the Mazda oil with the moly in it he replied "I don't know, we get our oil in 55 gallon drums". In their defense they did fess up about the under body panels and replaced them without any fuss. I think it's a mixed bag and it depends on the individual working on your car. There just isn't many good mechanics out there who really care about the cars they work on and also they get squeezed for time by the way they get paid by the job.

I'm confused because I thought the first service at 7500 miles was just the oil change and check the car for any issues. I had mine done last week and that was free.

The oil being dirty again by the time you got home happens because when they drain it they don't get it all but for a fee they'll run kerosene thru it :)

As for not trusting the dealer, I was a parts manager for 17 years and from what I saw it was the corner garage that was screwing the customer who paid for the mechanic not knowing your car. Draining the trans and adding 4 more quarts to the engine. Beating on the waterpump because it wouldn't come off, duh you missed a bolt. One "machanic" told me I sent him the wrong waterpump because his didn't have a pulley, well if it doesn't have a pully it's not the pump, he was looking at the thermostat! On FIAT's the corner garages liked to pull the rear wheel by taking off the big nut in the middle, that breaks the seal on the rear wheel bearing and adds $44 per side to the brake job.

Last year I was on the road with my CX-7 and stopped for an oil change, the mechanic walks in and say's he inspected my plugs and they needed to be replaced. I asked him, in the time it took me to pick up a magazine in the waiting room you removed the cover, the three hoses from the intercooler, the three bolts holding it to the engine and removed the 4 bolts holding on the coils and removed the plugs? He turned and walked out...................

Last year I was on the road with my CX-7 and stopped for an oil change, the mechanic walks in and say's he inspected my plugs and they needed to be replaced. I asked him, in the time it took me to pick up a magazine in the waiting room you removed the cover, the three hoses from the intercooler, the three bolts holding it to the engine and removed the 4 bolts holding on the coils and removed the plugs? He turned and walked out...................

Ha ha ha ha, LOL. I had just replaced all the brakes (pads and rotors) on my wife's Jetta years ago and she brought it to BJ's to have the tires replaced. They told her that her brakes were so bad that it was dangerous to drive the car home and that it was going to cost $900 to fix. She told them that her husband was an ASE certified technician and that he just did the brakes. The guy still stuck with his story. I did give them an inspection just in case when I got home and they were just fine.

Sounds like there are some good and bad experiences out there.

Came across this one today in CX-5 engine and trans. section. Read "Dealer oil change goes bad..." on page two!!

Read another post and it seems in the states a typical service is under $60 (is this correct?????) We pay around $330 just for an oil change here in Darwin at the dealer! (that's if they even do it LOL!) I cant even do it myself for under $60 using quality oil and filter ect.

Its hard to imagine this happening around here where I live (near Boston, MA.) There is a lot of competition between the dealers, and you get bombarded with "how did we do?" surveys every time you visit the dealer for any reason, including routine service. I have experienced this same thing with several different brands. For the most part I have had good luck; once I had a bad experience at the Honda dealership and so I rated them badly on the survey. Holy crap did that stir up a sh*t storm. I got calls not only from the service manager, and GM of the dealership but from Honda corporate as well. This is my first Mazda, and I haven't hit the 1st service yet, but I expect they will be as competitive and service-oriented as the other dealerships in the area.

I did the same with a vw dealership, rated them poorly and got banned from the dealership.

When I wrote a letter of complaint to a manufacturer about a dealer, the dealer shortly lost the franchise, it may be a coincidence but one should always complain.

I had filed a complain with VW of America before the incident was over. I'm sure I'm not the first to complain, but hoped that I could contribute to a case against them

Latest posts

Back