CX-5 Ebay Fog Assembly DRLs

After a month using LEDs, i decided to install them correctly.

They didn't dim when Xenon were on, had some flash one's lights at me during night.

So, this morning, i just wire the blue to whatever 12v side makers source. And they are dimming now.

Glad to finish the install.

I would like the "old" DRLs not to run, now that my new ones are on. I don't like yellowish and 5/6000k white lights working together: does anyone know how to switch the stock DRLs off?

Merci, Switcher! All I have to do now is looking for the right cable. Hope not to disconnect the high beams...

What is the color temperature of these LEDs? I would like to match them up with the HID bulbs. They are around 6000k?

I have never done any job on the Cx-5, and I'm not a mechanic, is there any problem doing this? Seems
to be pretty easy. How long does it take? And do you need to lift the car?
Thanks!

The LED's are around 5K for color temperature when in full brightness, and closer to 5.5K when dimmed.

As for install difficulty, it's fairly easy to do in an hour or so without a lift (just need to lay on the ground), though a slimmer arm will make running the cables and reaching the clips (to remove the OEM fog cover) much easier.

Good luck!

Thanks! Ordered a set from that mit on eBay. Also ordered a set of LEDs for the original DRLs, "HID Xenon White 68-SMD P13W LED", anyone tried it? I hope they match eachother

If you are looking to match LEDs with your factory (4300k) xenons HIDs, 5k (LED) will be white while your 4300's are a yellowish hue. To match a 5k LED bulb, you will need a 6k Xenon HID bulb (a 5k xenon HID is still more yellow than white) or a 4k LED bulb.

A word of caution to all:

I am thinking of buying these and researched/asked around about installation. My father in law, who is a mecanic and does a lot of electrical stuff, told me NEVER to use wire taps, as they will eventially screw up your electrical system by leaving parts of the wire bare and prone to corrosion. I also found this which seems to confirm what he said:

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/the-problem-with-wire-tap-connectors/

So even though wire taps are simple to use, better take more time to do a proper solder/shrink wrap job...

I installed these yesterday, pretty straight forward! Just installed them to be on at all times at the moment tho.

But now I wanna replace the position/parking light to match my xenons.
Anyone done that, is it just switch out the bulb to a led? Any recommendations? :)

Last edited:
Found a pair of 6000k leds to positionlight or whatever their called. w5w (T10).
Also changed to DRL to 68 SMD leds, very nice match! Bright white, not blue.
CX_5_Orginal_f_re_LED.jpg

CX_5_LED_efter.jpg

Here are mine. I have a GT w/tech. When lights are off, 100% brightness. With Lights on, 50% brightness.

11423383025_c70dcf9e50_c.jpg

11423548313_af6bc485a5_c.jpg

for the owners that have foglight, have you guys thought about wiring the way that the LED is on full power when the foglight is off and LED is off when the foglight is on.

I heard LED is not very good at half power or half brightness, I would prefer full on or full off.

I don't see a reason to hook it up to the fog as the LED will be on automatically anyway to work as DRL. If you hook it up to the fog wiring then the LED will be in full power at night which will be annoying to other drivers unless you turn your fog on all the time at night. You can have the LED off with the headlight or the position light on as well just some of us like it on all the time with dimmer LED at night like those use in Mercedes and Audi cars.

I finally installed these over the weekend. Have them always on for now, I might have them dimmed when lights are on later. Installation was fairly easy, thanks to all the tips here.

My only gripe is that the LEDs dont match my yellow DRLs and fogs, and since I don't have the HIDs, I can't replace my yellow DRLs with LEDs. Oh well, I'll live with it!

I finally installed these over the weekend. Have them always on for now, I might have them dimmed when lights are on later. Installation was fairly easy, thanks to all the tips here.

My only gripe is that the LEDs dont match my yellow DRLs and fogs, and since I don't have the HIDs, I can't replace my yellow DRLs with LEDs. Oh well, I'll live with it!

You can't change your DRLs, but you could deactivate them.
Pretty simple: put a thermoform able sheath on the central (there are three of them) connector of the high beam/DRL lamp. While DRLs will not, high beams will go on running.

Pretty simple: put a thermoform able sheath on the central (there are three of them) connector of the high beam/DRL lamp. While DRLs will not, high beams will go on running.

I don't think that's the best option, I remember reading earlier (I think in this thread somewhere) that there is a way to turn off the DRL via steps that involved pressing buttons and turning the ignition on and off a number of times.

So a quick search and you should find it. Otherwise you can change the DRL colors by changing the bulbs but this will also change the high beam colour which will likely reduce some of your night time visibility

Back