Reverse lights not coming on when shifted into reverse

neevnav

Hey all,

New problem for me. My reverse lights have stopped coming on when I shift into reverse. Checked the bulbs and that's not the issue. I'm assuming there is a reverse switch somewhere, just have no idea where. Anyone have any insight?

The reverse switch is on your transmission:

reverseswitch_zps94e437fa.jpg

This is the RockAuto listing:

They don't have one for a standard transmission.

reverseswitch5_zps0f207945.jpg

You should really get out your multimeter and do some tracing of the wires and switches. A new switch may not fix your problem or you may just have a bad connection in the switch or connection somewhere.

Your TR switch may just need adjusting.

TRswitch_zps2cca24f9.jpg

Yeah saw that in the listing and wasn't sure. I'm going to crawl under it tomorrow and trace the power and see where it's not getting to before I order. Thanks again!

No standard. Crap, didn't see the top part where you said RockAuto didn't have it for a manual. Assuming it's a dealer part then?

Hopefully it's just a bad connection at the plug.

I haven't surfed beyond RockAuto for it but I don't think it should be too expensive at the dealer,... it's a pretty simple device. (just a switch)

Don't forget to check your local junk yard,... bring your meter with you.

I't located beside the transmission oil fill hole,.. not hard to get to.

Yea,.. unplug the connector for the reverse switch and plug your two probes into the connector going to the switch on the transmission.

The resistance should switch between 0 ohms to infinity when you shift it in and out of reverse. (or less than a few ohms then to a big megaohm reading).

Check to make sure voltage is getting to the switch.

With the key on and the connector disconnected,... there should be 12 volts on one of the wires at the connector feeding the switch. Ground one of your probes to the transmission and make sure you get 12 volts on one of the terminals in the connector. Check for volts on this side of the connector:

backupswitch3_zpsda7d0971.jpg

Alright update. When I unplug the connector, on the harness side I have 12 volts. I jumpered the connections to the switch, and when I checked the voltage from from the switch, I was only getting 3 volts in reverse, and almost nothing when not. And when I was checking the resistance, I was just getting a 1 reading no matter what gear or what setting the multi-meter was on. So I'm guessing the switch?

If I'm doing the switch, I'm going to do the gear oil as well since it will all drain out. First time changing it, what type should I get?

Thanks again for your patience.

OK,... so it's sounding like it's your switch,... but just to make sure (cause I'm a bit confused with your numbers),...

With the connector apart,... measure the resistance of the switch in and out of reverse. Put the probes on each of the terminals in this connector.

reverseswitch_zpsf5cf1f29.jpg

Connector apart I get no reading on resistance. I jumped the two probes on the harness side of the connector, and the reverse lights came on, so it's got to be the switch. Which, in Canada at least, is a dealer only part. And not one they regularly carry. Got one ordered and it's coming on Tuesday. Thanks for all your help with this. I'll post up the final results when I get the switch in.

Well that all makes sense to me. I think you nailed it.

(I didn't think of just putting in a jumper to see if the lights come on,... But I would like to think that would have eventually occurred to me if I was out checking my own car ???)

How much was the switch ???

Last edited:
Back