cleaning the iac valve

Big Ds mp5

:
2002 Mazda protege5
Hey guys I've got another question. How do I clean the ( IAC ) valve? And where is it located? I've got that pinging everyone talks about. I've done my plugs and wires cleaned the maf sensor. Replaced the pcv valve. Use premium fuel and checked my cold air intake. So I'm thinking I should try the IAC next. I don't know what it is or where it at. Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks everyone.

It is bolted on top of the throttle body. It's the only thing bolted on top of the throttle body. There are four Phillips screws holding it down. It's kind of easy to remove unless you strip the screwhead, which I did to three of them. :( You may need to unbolt some other stuff that is in the way, nothing major. There's also an electrical plug and a hose that are attached to the IACV, detach those.

To clean, flip the IACV upside-down. You will see the openings to the cavity of the valve that aligns with the openings to the throttle body. Spray the insides with carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner spray. You can use a tooth brush or nylon bristle device to brush carbon deposits if you want to. Let it dry. Then, reattach.

Last edited:
The IAC cannot impact 'pinging' or light pre-detonation upon engine loading. The IAC only sets the idle speed and adjusts for a/c compressor load or engine electrical cooling fan coming on...

Neither does the PCV... It only keeps combusition bypass gasses from building up in the crankcase.

I do not know your level of expertise in working on cars, (i do respect your desire to try to do it) but I just want to encourage you to perhaps reach out first and ask before spending time/money chasing a problem. I am the first to admit i don't know everything, i just know when to go to the forum for help and to learn ;) I mean no disrespect at all, please forgive me if i have offended you.

To continue to address the original issue - try next a good seafoam cleaning through the brake booster vacuum line - carbon deposits can cause 'pinging'.

You may possibly have a bad knock sensor,.... if it's dripping goo like most of ours, it may not be functioning properly.

(our ECU doesn't monitor for lack of data from the sensor,.. just the resistance)

^good call!

Thanks for the kudos

The IAC cannot impact 'pinging' or light pre-detonation upon engine loading. The IAC only sets the idle speed and adjusts for a/c compressor load or engine electrical cooling fan coming on...

Neither does the PCV... It only keeps combusition bypass gasses from building up in the crankcase.

I do not know your level of expertise in working on cars, (i do respect your desire to try to do it) but I just want to encourage you to perhaps reach out first and ask before spending time/money chasing a problem. I am the first to admit i don't know everything, i just know when to go to the forum for help and to learn ;) I mean no disrespect at all, please forgive me if i have offended you.

I don't think stating facts require explanations or apologies. Opinions are a different matter. (Then again that's just my opinion)

Thanks! My goal is to help (not sound superior or snotty...) - so many members here have helped me on the forum and gently corrected me...

Back