oil problems

That is what I am saying. PCB has helped me on my issue.
I replaced the pcv valve and have now put over 7k on the car. Still have issues.
However, the car is old. Once I replaced the pcv valve, much of the issues went away.
The car still leaks, but, there are a lot of little things that are causing MY car to leak.
I think if I changed all the valve cover screw/growets whatever, along with the oil cap, and valve cover gasket which may have been damaged when my thermostat blew, I think the care wouldn't leak at all.
Every car is different-right?
I for one am not so inclined to get a comperession test considerting the value of the car and the way it runs.
If I had money I would, but, if I had money I would be driving a newer mazda!

you can get the compression tested for free. you go to autozone, and place a deposit for the compression tester. and bring it back. no charge.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback and help. But yeah I still have this prob. I had to add another half quart of oil. And like I mentioned before I have no leaks no smoking or anything. The car dose have 145xxx miles so it could be the rings. But seems like a lot of oil loss imo. I think ill try the oil catch can before I go deeper into repairs. My car runs and drives great for the age and miles. No major probs besides it being slow haha.

I just thought of something when you mentioned rings. I had a old 1991 protege with over 250K miles on it and every time I started the car after it been sitting for a while there was a puff of bluish smoke out of the tail pipe. Have someone start your car one day after it been sitting for a while and shine a flashlight into the tail pipe and see if you notice visible smoke. That was happening to mine and that car also was thirsty for oil.

Try taking a half bottle of seafoam and pour it in your crankcase. Drive 50 miles, check the clarity of the oil and then change it. Seafoam is $11 at my local autozone.

I did the seafoam thing when I frist got the car. About 5 months ago. Full synthetic oil doesn't smoke? Is that true?

I did the seafoam thing when I frist got the car. About 5 months ago. Full synthetic oil doesn't smoke? Is that true?

I heard that synthetic oil burns up a lot faster,... I don't know about the smoke though.

Regular oil is a lot cheaper too and that adds up if you're adding oil regularly.

Last edited:
Yeah that is true. I guess I won't really need to do oil changes i can just change the filter out. Lol so its about the same price haha

a PCV 'leaking oil' is a symptom - not the root cause.

You need a compression ring job. The crankcase is getting excess blow-by from the rings and is pushing oil out the PCV...

(Me? I would just install an oil catch can and be dilligent with sea-foam-ing the engine once in a while until it gets worse...)

Well I'm agreeing with this,... chances are your compression is down. This is the FSM data for our engine,.. I'll bet you're near the 119 psi mark.

compression_zps6d7abf96.jpg

I'm kinda thinking you might be in a "good money after bad" situation (as my dad would say). A ring job would be a lot of money,... and your car IS running OK except for the oil burning and blowing through your engine. If I were you,.. I would just leave well enough alone and be diligent with the Seafoam (as P-Funk mentioned) to clean the crap out of everywhere it is getting. (in with the oil, gas and up the brake booster vacuum line). Chances are that oil is getting past the oil rings and burning up in the engine and in the cats.

I will bet you that the PO's neglected their scheduled maintenance especially oil changes. Then that grit and grime filled liquid sandpaper circulated through the engine wearing everything out.
I'm a firm believer in changing oil every 3,000 miles (5,000 km for us Canucks). I'm pretty sure my PO's did regular oil changes and I change mine myself with the cheapest oil I can find (except no-name). A lot of what makes expensive oil better is the extended "service intervals" but for the same money, you can change cheap oil twice.
I'll bet your PO's let their oil go WAY too long.

My car has 214,000 km (133,000 miles) and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I'm feeling pretty lucky about my purchase,... I got it when it was 8 years old just as the novelty of a new car is wearing off for people and they start to neglect it.

I'm all curious now,... I think I'm gonna do a compression test on my car,... I know I've got a tester somewhere,... I'll bet I'm still pushin 160 psi ???

What is the mileage on your car ????

Last edited:
I bought my car from a young military vet who bought new when he went into the service. He kept it very clean inside and out. He had the car serviced at the dealer from the oil change sticker in the window. He put a lot of mileage on it from driving from tucson az to yuma az weekly so lots of freeway miles. The only thing wrong with it was he had a small fender bender where he replaced the passenger side fender and headlight and had it repainted from silver to white. I assked if he has done any work or overhaul on the engine witch he said none. That the car has always been good to him. The car has 145xxx miles. I'd love to get it all done up with a turbo but don't know if the engine will need a ton of money and time to get it there.

This is my first import car I've owned. Originally bought for my wife. I went from a 02 merc grand marquis on 22" rims to this protege5 after I started driving it I loved it. So I traded my car in and bought my wife a 08 Mazda 5 and kept the protege5 for myself lol

So would you recommend putting seafoam in before every oil change and do the changes more frequently?

So would you recommend putting seafoam in before every oil change and do the changes more frequently?

I kinda think that is a good idea,... but I wouldn't bother with the synthetic oil any more,.... it's not worth it anymore. The blow-by gasses can push half burnt oily combustion gases everywhere,... getting solenoid valves and such all gummed up.

The seafoam can help keep your oil rings from seizing like mentioned in that link above. The seafoam website say's you can leave the stuff in the oil,... however if a car has years of built up crap,... the seafoam dissolves it and your oil gets black quickly.

I put 1/3 can in the oil before an oil change, then dump it, then I put another 1/3 can back in with the new oil,... I just keep an eye on the color of the oil on the dipstick.

I think you should do the 1/3 gas, 1/3 oil, 1/3 brake booster every oil change to keep it clean. Or maybe go 1/4 to save a 1/4 for the new oil to keep dissolving the lacquer build-up.

Here's a link to Seafoam,... they've been around forever:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

On bobistheoilguy.com, people like to use Kreen oil flush as opposed to seafoam. What I hear people do is pour a little into the spark plug hole and let it sit over night to try and unstick the rings. But me being cheap I'm going to first try the seafoam piston soak overnight and then do as PCB does and use a little seafoam before and after an oil change. But I'm going to use a "high mileage" oil because they have more cleaning additives than regular oil does.

That makes sense,... I understand that "high mileage" oil has additives that help to swell and soften seals to help keep them sealing.

That makes sense,... I understand that "high mileage" oil has additives that help to swell and soften seals to help keep them sealing.

Yep, there's that too. From what I read M1 high mileage and Valvoline maxlife have the most cleaning additives from a "cheap" readily available oil. Walmart has M1high mileage 5qt jug for $23' Valvoline max life synthetic 5 qt for $24.

Btw napa auto parts has seafoam on sale for $7, if you have a napa in your town check out their ad online first then get some of that for engine cleaning. I also recommend the bigger filter from the 323 v6(I think that's the model?), pureolator pureone.

So I'm assuming that by M1 you mean mobil 1 and they have high milage synthetic? I didnt know that they make a high milage synthetic oil. I been alternating between 5w30 and 0w30 mobil 1 and luckily I don't yet have a problem with excessive oil usage. so maybe I will try the high milage version next time as Currently I have 141K miles. My car never had conventional oil since I bought the car unless when new it had conventional.

So I'm assuming that by M1 you mean mobil 1 and they have high milage synthetic? I didnt know that they make a high milage synthetic oil. I been alternating between 5w30 and 0w30 mobil 1 and luckily I don't yet have a problem with excessive oil usage. so maybe I will try the high milage version next time as Currently I have 141K miles. My car never had conventional oil since I bought the car unless when new it had conventional.

I would think from the factory when they assembly the engine they use Dino motor oil. These cars are not required to use synthetic so it would be a safe bet your first oil I the car was Dino oil.

Also all Mobil 1 is synthetic oil, it's the Mobil 5000 that is Dino oil. If you have a walmart around get a 5qt jug of mobile 1 high mileage and maybe just a fram ultra filter if you want to go like 7k mi oil changes. If that is too long, look for the purolator pureone filter and change before 7k mi.

I also recommend the bigger filter from the 323 v6(I think that's the model?), pureolator pureone.

The bigger oil filter is for a 2002 626 V6,... It's exactly the same dimensions and thread but it's about an inch taller.

Anyone like to use Lucas products in these cars? I've always used em in my American vehicles. I liked the fuel additive with the upper cylinder lubricant. And the oil stabilizer. Ill keep using my mobile 1 oil though

Back