oil problems

Big Ds mp5

:
2002 Mazda protege5
ok so I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5. and I've noticed I have to put oil in every couple weeks at least a half court. I've taking it to the shop I have no leaks I don't see it smoking ever and somebody mentioned in oil catch can.my car has a hundred and forty thousand miles and runs great I just don't know where the oils going. I put in Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w 30 weight should I be trying something different? any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

is your coolant nice and green in the overflow tank? if not then you may have a leak into the coolant due to a worn head gasket.

Last edited:
Nope my coolant is good and green. So no leaks there. And checking the compression sounds like a good idea. Is it true that full synthetic dose not smoke?. Oh and there is evidence of oil in the vac line from manifold to cold air intake. I'm guessing that's where the oil catch can would go between. I've never really seen anyone with them but I could be wrong.

I remember another guy was burning a lot of oil,... it turned out to be a bad PCV valve. He replaced it and the oil burning stopped.

It's simple, cheap and easy to replace,... can't hurt.

PCV_zps0acfe9dc.jpg

PCVvalve_zps351356df.jpg

As of a few hours ago, I found out that the bad pcv valve I changed a short while back was causing my car to go through a lot of oil.
I would recomend anyone to change whether they are having a problem or not.
I am shocked a $10 easy to install part can go such a long way.

Thanks joe I change it out now and I'll see how it goes and let yall know if it helped me or not. There was a lot of oil coming through it.

As the PCV valve ages several things can happen. Crud and sludge can cause it to stick in the open position. This might result in a misfire at idle. Too much air flow acts like a vacuum leak. Excess flow could also draw oil from the engine, causing oil consumption. A quality shop can test this using a tool called a manometer.

As of a few hours ago, I found out that the bad pcv valve I changed a short while back was causing my car to go through a lot of oil.
I would recomend anyone to change whether they are having a problem or not.
I am shocked a $10 easy to install part can go such a long way.

They're not even ten bucks at RockAuto,...

I bought 4 of them with one of my last orders (helps offset the shipping cost).

Mine were Fram though and I noticed they aren't available now,... I hope that means they're just sold out and not that they were discontinued because they're crap ???

I've got 6 Fram oil filters too,.. I got them before I learned about the whole Fram filter controversy.

rockautopcvvalve_zps8261ccf4.jpg

P.S. RockAuto just sent me this email:

Thank you for being a RockAuto customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Using Your Discount Code: .......... Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your parts order total. Orders using discount codes must be placed online. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.
The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on August 25, 2013; so don't wait!

PM me if you want the code number,... (I didn't think I should just post it here)

a PCV 'leaking oil' is a symptom - not the root cause.

You need a compression ring job. The crankcase is getting excess blow-by from the rings and is pushing oil out the PCV...

(Me? I would just install an oil catch can and be dilligent with sea-foam-ing the engine once in a while until it gets worse...)

a PCV 'leaking oil' is a symptom - not the root cause.

You need a compression ring job. The crankcase is getting excess blow-by from the rings and is pushing oil out the PCV...

(Me? I would just install an oil catch can and be dilligent with sea-foam-ing the engine once in a while until it gets worse...)

OK,... So I'm a little confused,... I thought from reading that link above, that the PCV could definitely be a "root cause":

"Most engines employ a PCV valve at the point where fumes are drawn out of the engine. The PCV valve serves several functions. At an idle, engine vacuum is very high, around 16 to 20 inches. This high vacuum would tend to draw oil as well as fumes from the engine. The PCV valve acts as a buffer against oil being drawn out and regulates the amount of vacuum applied to the engine.

Because the engine idles at low speed there is a relatively small amount of fuel and air traveling through the intake. If the PCV valve did not regulate flow, the engine would act like it had a vacuum leak. Air flowing into the intake might cause the engine to lean out [too much air in relation to the fuel] and misfire. At an idle, the PCV valve restricts air flow, to reduce this problem."

If the PCV valve were stuck open and not restricting airflow properly it may suck all kinds of oil into the intake ??? Our ECU would probably do it's best to compensate so we may not misfire ???

I do get how worn rings would put excessive blow-by pressure on the valve and foul it, push oil through it or wreck it quickly though.

I remember one guy said a new PCV valve fixed his problem but just for a short while,... his new valve was probably quickly fouled or stuck.

i use the pcv valve from SC mazda millenia I think, and went back to dino oil, the oil consumption was reduced by about half from filling every week to every two week, about half a qt.. I have 220k all original. so a bit of oil consumption is expected with this kind of mileage

OK,... So I'm a little confused,... I thought from reading that link above, that the PCV could definitely be a "root cause":

"Most engines employ a PCV valve at the point where fumes are drawn out of the engine. The PCV valve serves several functions. At an idle, engine vacuum is very high, around 16 to 20 inches. This high vacuum would tend to draw oil as well as fumes from the engine. The PCV valve acts as a buffer against oil being drawn out and regulates the amount of vacuum applied to the engine.

Because the engine idles at low speed there is a relatively small amount of fuel and air traveling through the intake. If the PCV valve did not regulate flow, the engine would act like it had a vacuum leak. Air flowing into the intake might cause the engine to lean out [too much air in relation to the fuel] and misfire. At an idle, the PCV valve restricts air flow, to reduce this problem."

If the PCV valve were stuck open and not restricting airflow properly it may suck all kinds of oil into the intake ??? Our ECU would probably do it's best to compensate so we may not misfire ???

I do get how worn rings would put excessive blow-by pressure on the valve and foul it, push oil through it or wreck it quickly though.

I remember one guy said a new PCV valve fixed his problem but just for a short while,... his new valve was probably quickly fouled or stuck.

It's not necessarily a root cause but it certainly can be, especially after 10 years and 150k miles. As simple as they are, they do fail. Usually they fail by degrees though, so there's no point where it's working one day and not at all the next.

I suppose just replacing it to see what happens is worth the trouble and expense.

If it fails quickly then you now you've got bigger problems.

FYI my local Autozone has the pcv valve for $3 so I got and replaced mine although mine appeared to be fine but 10 years old so I changed it as it was cheap.

I suppose just replacing it to see what happens is worth the trouble and expense.

If it fails quickly then you now you've got bigger problems.

That is what I am saying. PCB has helped me on my issue.
I replaced the pcv valve and have now put over 7k on the car. Still have issues.
However, the car is old. Once I replaced the pcv valve, much of the issues went away.
The car still leaks, but, there are a lot of little things that are causing MY car to leak.
I think if I changed all the valve cover screw/growets whatever, along with the oil cap, and valve cover gasket which may have been damaged when my thermostat blew, I think the care wouldn't leak at all.
Every car is different-right?
I for one am not so inclined to get a comperession test considerting the value of the car and the way it runs.
If I had money I would, but, if I had money I would be driving a newer mazda!

Back