Replacement Windshield

:
2013 CX-5 Sport-manual
A rock came off a truck and put a small crack in my windshield.
I was going to have a repair done (Safe-Lite), but the tech who showed up, told me that the crack would not become invisible, and there was a chance that the windshield would crack, as he applied his "fix".
So.... I opted to have the windshield replaced. (this is a NO Deductible insurance situation, because of the laws in Florida ) I had them check, first, if they had a CX-5 windshield, in stock. They said they had ONE.

They are supposed to show up at my home, tomorrow afternoon. (with the correct windshield, in hand)

so.... anyone out there been through this ?

Safe-Lite do a good job ? ( I called the Mazda dealer, and they told me that Safe-Lite, should do a good job, and they should use the proper windshield. )

Safe-Lite repaired 2 of my windshields on my 2 cars. No problems.
They mention the windshield cracking during repair for liability issues but the 2 times they repaired mine, they did not crack any further. They just put epoxy in there to fill in the hole so the chip won't spread to a crack.

A rock came off a truck and put a small crack in my windshield.
I was going to have a repair done (Safe-Lite), but the tech who showed up, told me that the crack would not become invisible, and there was a chance that the windshield would crack, as he applied his "fix".
So.... I opted to have the windshield replaced. (this is a NO Deductible insurance situation, because of the laws in Florida ) I had them check, first, if they had a CX-5 windshield, in stock. They said they had ONE.

They are supposed to show up at my home, tomorrow afternoon. (with the correct windshield, in hand)....

You are so lucky they can get the windshield so quickly. I have to wait over a month!

Ok so you have a sport and no rain sensor.

Had Safe-lite replace the windshield on my 13 and they did not replace the gel pad, had to do it myself! !!

The gel pad easily collects dust and particles once exposed.

Ok so you have a sport and no rain sensor.

Had Safe-lite replace the windshield on my 13 and they did not replace the gel pad, had to do it myself! !!

The gel pad easily collects dust and particles once exposed.
What is the gel pad? What is it for? Where is it located? The owners manual does not mention this item when I search the pdf version.

Thanks

Mazda calls it a rain sensor sheet but it simply is a gel pad.

It only applies if you have rain sensing wipers

I do have the Tech Pkg, so have rain sensing wipers. Owners manual does not have the term rain sensor sheet in it. Where can I find out more about that? Thanks

Hmmm. I always thought the rain sensor was an opto-reflective type up by the mirror. (Don't have it, so couldn't confirm.)

Hmmm. I always thought the rain sensor was an opto-reflective type up by the mirror. (Don't have it, so couldn't confirm.)
Well it is, as far as I can tell. I see in the 2013 parts diagrams there is a sensor film that must be applied in front of the rain sensor, but the sensor housing they show is very different looking from the 2014, for which I can find no parts diagrams.

In the 2014 GT Tech Pkg, there is a what I call a sensor pod attached directly to the windshield behind the separate rearview mirror, fairly large polygon affair that houses the rain sensor and the SCBS laser. Both seem to be optical devices that "peer" through their own windows within the pod, through the windshield. Can't say whether or not there is a film there, since there is no parts diagram. I guess I will have to discuss this with the parts department.

I found this part. Sadly, if it is not part of the replacement windshield, it will not be replaced by the glass company. My local Mazda parts department says that the sheet will be damaged when the rain sensor is removed from the windshield and will need to be replaced. No idea whether the laser needs to be recalibrated (one would hope not since no one knows how to do it at the dealership)
http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/2014/CX-5/SHEET--RAIN-SENSOR/9900830/C513665G2.html

just replaced my windshield this monday from a similar truck kicked up a rock as well. it hairlined overnight and in the morning it spidered down 2 inches. as of now there are no generic windshields, therefore oem is the only option. i called around to different dealerships and was quoted 640-750. since each dealership has there own margin etc + install the price varied greatly. cheapest solution was to go buy the glass from a dealership, bring it home, call a local glass repair guy to do it for $100.00. easiest solution was going through safelight and insurance and pay the $500 deductible. i have a rain sensor and the guy from safelight did a good job. highly recommended and there glass repair is quality as well.

Last edited:
Safe-Lite showed up yesterday.... and did a fine job. The paperwork showed the "list price" for the windshield of OVER $900, and a selling price (to Safe-Lite) of about $350. Glad that Fla. has a "no deductible" law for this kind of replacement work.
.... waiting ....now, for one of the famous Fla. thunderstorms, to see if I have any leaks.... (should be fine.... I watched him create a new gasket )

Well it is, as far as I can tell. I see in the 2013 parts diagrams there is a sensor film that must be applied in front of the rain sensor, but the sensor housing they show is very different looking from the 2014, for which I can find no parts diagrams.

In the 2014 GT Tech Pkg, there is a what I call a sensor pod attached directly to the windshield behind the separate rearview mirror, fairly large polygon affair that houses the rain sensor and the SCBS laser. Both seem to be optical devices that "peer" through their own windows within the pod, through the windshield. Can't say whether or not there is a film there, since there is no parts diagram. I guess I will have to discuss this with the parts department.

So Mazda corporate apologized today for the shortage of windshields. They cited two reasons. Anytime there is a new model release, there is a high demand for windshields as a large number get damaged during shipment from Japan, and from the ports to the dealerships. Second there is TSB on some 2013 models which use the same windshield, and the TSB requires the windshield be replaced. The two events conspire to make a shortage of windshields, and Mazda is working hard to rectify the situation.

With respect to the sensors, so long as they are not damaged, and are reinstalled properly on the new windshield, no "reprogramming" is required.

0olm.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back