Bank 1 & Bank 2 Oxygen Sensors

I know but the thing is I don't have a wrench that's the right size for this anyway, so I would have had to order something that fit. My biggest concern will be getting all the bolts off and the sensor out due to age and rust. This is a car parked outside, very rusty. I am gonna buy PB blaster and let it sit for a night but beyond that, if I cant get the old one out, I'll have to go to a mechanic. Is it a bad idea to lightly tap the edges of the sensor with a hammer and screwdriver to try and loosen it up?

I tried to do my own ABS sensor replacement but it was just too rusty, and all I had on me was WD40. Even the mechanic was hammering and cutting away to get the old bolts off for the ABS sensor...I'm expecting a similar challenge for the oxygen sensor.

IIRC it's a 22mm or 7/8".

If it's been on there a long time, best thing you can do is cut the wire, break off the stem, and use a deep 6 point impact socket. The slit sockets are really only good for installation, they like to spread and round off the sensor.

I just wanted to update and thank everyone for their help, and hopefully this post will help any other amateurs that might have this issue.

Using ScanTool for Windows with an ELM327 interface, I identified a code as P0031. After ordering the replacement oxygen sensor from Rockauto, extremely fast shipping, about 2-3 days, I proceeded to install it. To rule out the problem being the sensor, I connected the new sensor to the plug without installing it into the manifold, reset the codes, and started the car and revved the engine a bit. The code did not return, likely indicating the original sensor was indeed busted.

The biggest problem for amateurs like myself, I believe, tends to be the "related" issues, like rusty bolts. I proceeded to remove the air intake snorkel, but only the left screw was coming out. I manage to strip the right one :( unfortunately I only had WD40 on hand. Luckily! You do not need to remove the air intake for this job completely, I was able to just move it out of the way enough that I could access the sensor easily.

Then, using the sensor removal socket piece, I was able to remove the sensor, after spraying WD40. It would not budge without the spray. Also, the advantage of the tool, was that I was able to easily remove the old sensor without removing the heat shield!!! Having to remove that would have been very difficult with basic tools, as all the bolts looked very seized.

After removing the old sensor and screwing the new one in, and clamping it down so that the wire didn't get into the cooling fan, I restarted the car and cleared codes with ScanTool. After a drive around the block, the code did not return.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Now let's see what the next problem is,
It seems to be one after another these past few months! :(

2003 Proto5 PreCat removed and replaced with Headers, Coils, plugs,MAF, EGR all replaced, This beat the p0421 /p0300 that it was throwing, but it was still sluggish.

Daughters BF finally got the EGR tube hooked up to the headers and it ran great for several months, the hesitation was all gone.

Then the p0300 came back last week with a blinking CEL and a VERY nasty misfire.

I hooked up my scan tool and I see the downstream 02 sensor thrashing back and forth

Upstream o2 sensor jumps up and down quite nicely from .9v to .1v as expected

Downstream o2 sensor slowly climbs from .5v up to 1.06 volts, and then starts to thrash up and down going from .8 to Zero volts every few seconds.I

Here is a picture of the data charted out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6YT6w-W3lCheTZPd01MUmlkMDQ/view

Do you think this downstream 02 sensor is good or bad?

EDIT: I'm considering trying the stacked spacer (non Fouler) solution for the downstream 02. thoughts?

Last edited:
2003 Proto5 PreCat removed and replaced with Headers, Coils, plugs,MAF, EGR all replaced, This beat the p0421 /p0300 that it was throwing, but it was still sluggish.

Daughters BF finally got the EGR tube hooked up to the headers and it ran great for several months, the hesitation was all gone.

Then the p0300 came back last week with a blinking CEL and a VERY nasty misfire.

I hooked up my scan tool and I see the downstream 02 sensor thrashing back and forth

Upstream o2 sensor jumps up and down quite nicely from .9v to .1v as expected

Downstream o2 sensor slowly climbs from .5v up to 1.06 volts, and then starts to thrash up and down going from .8 to Zero volts every few seconds.I

Here is a picture of the data charted out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6YT6w-W3lCheTZPd01MUmlkMDQ/view

Do you think this downstream 02 sensor is good or bad?

EDIT: I'm considering trying the stacked spacer (non Fouler) solution for the downstream 02. thoughts?

If you think that's the cause of the misfire, look elsewhere. The post cat 02 is only there to determine if the pre-cat is functional.

The non fouler trick worked for me.

Get it running right before you try to determine if the 02 sensors are working.

Back