Aftermarket Backup Camera with Mazda OEM Screen

A quick update,

The video input with this kit is through a standard yellow s-video plug. So I began wondering what else could be plugged in to the radio.... How about a Raspberry Pi running XBMC?

I've been wondering if that was possible. How is the quality with video playback? Do you have it mounted behind the dash? Any other pics?

I'm actually trying to go the other way, using the stock camera on an aftermarket headunit, but I figured this adapter would at least provide a starting point. Any idea on what amperage the factory rear camera runs at?

Last edited:
I'm actually trying to go the other way, using the stock camera on an aftermarket headunit, but I figured this adapter would at least provide a starting point. Any idea on what amperage the factory rear camera runs at?

It will be very low - a few 10's of milliamps max.

Hi Jay, I just ordered the same kit. Can you please post a pic of how the camera looks installed on the liftgate. Thanks

Hi, yes I'm very interested in where and how the camera fits. Also would appreciate any info or pics on routing the cable from dash to tailgate.
Thanks.

jts1979:
Really interested in what you did. Can you share with us your setup ? Especially how you connected to the back of the headunit ? I am interested in getting the mimicsx2 working with the head unit. Can you share some pictures of what the headunit looks from the back and how you connected the RasberryPi to it ?

A quick update,

The video input with this kit is through a standard yellow s-video plug. So I began wondering what else could be plugged in to the radio.... How about a Raspberry Pi running XBMC?

And it works, but with limitations. first the radio has to detect the camera on start up in order to enable back up mode. So i just turned on the car with the camera connected, then switched the input to the Pi.
Of course the touch screen dosent work to control the computer, so need to use remote, mouse keyboard etc.
And of the biggest hurdle, will only work with the transmission in reverse... If there were a simple reverse signal wire this wouldn't be an issue, but it appears the radio gets the reverse signal through the can bus.

Sorry for the hijack: What HU did you get? Personally I like the factory sound, just wish it had a 7-band EQ and a 10" sub amp'ed with 200W rms. Nothing bigger to avoid having to Dynamat the entire cabin.

I was cruising down the freeway today and I took my right thumb and pushed and held in the power button and then I took my right pinky and hit the seek button on the top right corner of the HU. This opens the program screen. I punched in 92 and enter, and it turned on my rear backup camera so I could see a live feed of the cars behind me on the freeway. To get out I just pushed the power button and it reset the stereo as if I just started the car. COOL!!!!

I too bought the same backup camera from the same ebay seller. However I went thru the US ebay instead of the Canadian one. Shipping was free to US addresses.

Now, mine looks like all the connections were soldered (I didn't have to solder or crimp any wire). Here is a picture. Hopefully it looks just like JTS1979. Can you verify if mine looked like yours? Will have to wait a bit to install. It has been raining almost everyday here :(

IMG_0224.jpg

Last edited:
I too bought the same backup camera from the same ebay seller. However I went thru the US ebay instead of the Canadian one. Shipping was free to US addresses.

Now, mine looks like all the connections were soldered (I didn't have to solder or crimp any wire). Here is a picture. Hopefully it looks just like JTS1979. Can you verify if mine looked like yours? Will have to wait a bit to install. It has been raining almost everyday here :(

View attachment 203763

Hi GT Speedster,
Unfortunately I don't speak German. Could you tell me if the camera in your pictures is the same one being discussed on this thread, from Ebay, or a different one?
Thanks

Hello, this is not the system posted originally in this thread.

I am the seller of the listing originally referred too.

If anyone else has any other questions please contact me and I will work on getting them answered for you, thanks.

Retrac Toyota

Received the Backup Cam yesterday and it works!

I pulled apart the dash and tried it out and it works fine with the correct image orientation(ie mirrored image right way up). I routed the cable behind the glove box area and reassembled the dash for now, and will route the cable to the back and install the camera in the liftgate this weekend

A few notes, the link i posted to the item was from ebay.ca, thats where i was logged in and bought from. Seller is in the US and it shipped form California.
For canadian buyers, was pre-charged for taxes on checkout, so no COD when it arrived.

It is a direct plug in, but you will have to do a couple wire splices in the supplied wires. Basically you will have to soldier(or crimp connect) the power and ground wires from the radio adaptor included in the kit to the camera harness. Once you've done that, it plugs directly into the back of the radio, and there is no modification to the factory wiring. Also a note on the included instructions. They are basically useless, just a few lines saying plug in and route wires. It is pretty straight forward though, the hard part will be routing the wires back to the lift gate and drilling a hole in the trim to mount the camera

a couple pics

Jay

Did somebody actually installed this cam on car, where did you put it? Does it fit instead one of license plate lights?

Hi cx5,

I'm also hoping someone can tell us about the installation.

I took this photo of a CX-5 Sport model with OEM back up camera fitted. As you can see it has its own recess between the licence plate lights.

(Not sure how to add photo, hope this works!)

Attachments

• reverse camera .jpg
    reverse camera .jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,711
Thank you m4zda.man for posting that OEM picture!
I just bought the same camera from eBay and am waiting for it to arrive. I am very curious to see how others run the wires to the tailgate and how they installed (drilled) into the tailgate.
When I get my camera and decide to install it, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here.

Thank you m4zda.man for posting that OEM picture!
I just bought the same camera from eBay and am waiting for it to arrive. I am very curious to see how others run the wires to the tailgate and how they installed (drilled) into the tailgate.
When I get my camera and decide to install it, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here.

Do not drill into tailgate. You can mount the camera next to the tailgate handle and run the wires between where the tailgate handle mounts to the body. Just loosen the handle, slip the wires in and retighten the handle

Do not drill into tailgate. You can mount the camera next to the tailgate handle and run the wires between where the tailgate handle mounts to the body. Just loosen the handle, slip the wires in and retighten the handle

Great point. What would you recommend to hold it in place on the tailgate?

Can anyone share their experience running the cables from the headunit to the tailgate? Any suggestions, tips or pics?

Great point. What would you recommend to hold it in place on the tailgate?

Can anyone share their experience running the cables from the headunit to the tailgate? Any suggestions, tips or pics?
I'm going to be installing an aftermarket camera to an aftermarket head unit soon. I'll document the camera install procedure and post in the How-To section. Probably will have it up by the end of the week or this weekend at the latest, as soon as the parts arrive.

EDIT: Here is the how to on running camera wires.

Last edited:
Back