Aftermarket Backup Camera with Mazda OEM Screen

cx5

Can some non OEM parking cam/sensors be used on builtin screen showing cam screen while reversing?

I contacted the seller for this on EBAY.CA and this is what they said. I still think it is lagit and a good option to try.....especially since it is refundable. I too am going to order one. I will keep you all posted.

Hey there, thanks for your questions!

This is not an OEM part, however, it is a high quality part and it voids no manufacturer warranties on the car and the camera itself comes with a 3 year warranty. 99% of my listings are OEM parts, I'm not sure how much it means to you, but I would not be selling an after market part right next to all of my factory OEM stuff it was a low quality piece of junk :)

It is extremely easy to install these cameras, there is no wire splicing or cutting required, it simply plugs into your unit and works! Comes with full instructions for a quick install.

Regarding quantity, according to ebay, I am still a "new" seller and backup cameras are supposedly a "high expectation" category, so they only let me list one at a time. I have an unlimited supply of these. I can't always guarantee my price stays this excellent though!

Thanks for clarifying; I love an informed buyer. Hope to hear back from you soon.
- retractoyotapartsretailer

Backup camera - success

Received the Backup Cam yesterday and it works!

I pulled apart the dash and tried it out and it works fine with the correct image orientation(ie mirrored image right way up). I routed the cable behind the glove box area and reassembled the dash for now, and will route the cable to the back and install the camera in the liftgate this weekend

A few notes, the link i posted to the item was from ebay.ca, thats where i was logged in and bought from. Seller is in the US and it shipped form California.
For canadian buyers, was pre-charged for taxes on checkout, so no COD when it arrived.

It is a direct plug in, but you will have to do a couple wire splices in the supplied wires. Basically you will have to soldier(or crimp connect) the power and ground wires from the radio adaptor included in the kit to the camera harness. Once you've done that, it plugs directly into the back of the radio, and there is no modification to the factory wiring. Also a note on the included instructions. They are basically useless, just a few lines saying plug in and route wires. It is pretty straight forward though, the hard part will be routing the wires back to the lift gate and drilling a hole in the trim to mount the camera

a couple pics

Jay

Last edited:
Received the Backup Cam yesterday and it works!

I pulled apart the dash and tried it out and it works fine with the correct image orientation(ie mirrored image right way up). I routed the cable behind the glove box area and reassembled the dash for now, and will route the cable to the back and install the camera in the liftgate this weekend

A few notes, the link i posted to the item was from ebay.ca, thats where i was logged in and bought from. Seller is in the US and it shipped form California.
For canadian buyers, was pre-charged for taxes on checkout, so no COD when it arrived.

It is a direct plug in, but you will have to do a couple wire splices in the supplied wires. Basically you will have to soldier(or crimp connect) the power and ground wires from the radio adaptor included in the kit to the camera harness. Once you've done that, it plugs directly into the back of the radio, and there is no modification to the factory wiring. Also a note on the included instructions. They are basically useless, just a few lines saying plug in and route wires. It is pretty straight forward though, the hard part will be routing the wires back to the lift gate and drilling a hole in the trim to mount the camera

a couple pics

Jay

Wanna come do mine when you are done? I am only 5 hours south of the boarder. lol

Were you replacing the backup camera that comes with the CX-5, or adding it to a model that doesn't have one?

A quick update,

The video input with this kit is through a standard yellow s-video plug. So I began wondering what else could be plugged in to the radio.... How about a Raspberry Pi running XBMC?

And it works, but with limitations. first the radio has to detect the camera on start up in order to enable back up mode. So i just turned on the car with the camera connected, then switched the input to the Pi.
Of course the touch screen dosent work to control the computer, so need to use remote, mouse keyboard etc.
And of the biggest hurdle, will only work with the transmission in reverse... If there were a simple reverse signal wire this wouldn't be an issue, but it appears the radio gets the reverse signal through the can bus.

Any chance you would be willing to take a close up picture of the connector that plugs into the radio and perhaps which wire goes into which pin on the connector? It looks like the adapter is only three wires running to the radio harness. One wire to the video and black and read for the power. Is that correct? Thanks.

Hi,

I'm in UK and taking delivery of the CX-5 SE-L Nav auto - not sure what model that equates to in US / Canada. It has the 5.8" touchscreen radio / Sat Nav package, but not the reversing camera, so I'm very interested in this aftermarket unit; it's on sale on ebay UK.

I have a couple of questions, firstly the advert says it's for a 6.1" LCD screen, which I'm hoping is actually the 5.8" screen my car will have, and secondly, do I understand that the unit's wiring and connections will automatically switch it on when reverse is selected?

And does one have to find a power supply at the back for the camera, or is that in the long cable from the display unit?

Also keen to see any photos of the connections, and the camera installation!

Thanks.

Any chance you would be willing to take a close up picture of the connector that plugs into the radio and perhaps which wire goes into which pin on the connector? It looks like the adapter is only three wires running to the radio harness. One wire to the video and black and read for the power. Is that correct? Thanks.

See attached schematic and connector pinout...

attachment.php

RearCamElec.gif

Hi,

I'm in UK and taking delivery of the CX-5 SE-L Nav auto - not sure what model that equates to in US / Canada. It has the 5.8" touchscreen radio / Sat Nav package, but not the reversing camera, so I'm very interested in this aftermarket unit; it's on sale on ebay UK.

I have a couple of questions, firstly the advert says it's for a 6.1" LCD screen, which I'm hoping is actually the 5.8" screen my car will have, and secondly, do I understand that the unit's wiring and connections will automatically switch it on when reverse is selected?

And does one have to find a power supply at the back for the camera, or is that in the long cable from the display unit?

Thanks.
Per the schematic in my post above, the power will come in the long cable from the head unit. However, if you are hacking your own camera wiring, one thing that many installers do is simply splice into the reversing light's wiring (thus obtaining power when the car goes into reverse). Attached is the wiring diagram for the lights if you want to do that.

ReversingLightElec.gif

Just to confirm, at the end of the adapter that plugs into the radio, are only 3 pins of the 4 on the connector occupied? One pin used for black and red and one for the yellow video cord?

Just to confirm, at the end of the adapter that plugs into the radio, are only 3 pins of the 4 on the connector occupied? One pin used for black and red and one for the yellow video cord?
4. The three you state plus the shield wire.

Sorry, already have the dash put back together so no detailed pics of the harness. But as redbaron said, its 4 wires power, ground, signal and shield. The head unit only outputs 6V to the backup cam, not 12, so you will need to have a cam that is compatible. The one that came with the kit says 3.3V, but the supplied wiring appears to have something inline to step it down to that. Also, the cam is only powered when reverse is engaged, otherwise i only read 0.25V

Jay

Last edited:
Back