Time to replace rear brake pads?

salander

:
mazda 5 sport
Just got back from the servicing my 2012 mazda 5 at the dealers. Apparently the rear brake pads are down to 4mm and need replacing.

Does anyone know how long I can go before I need to change them? I'm at around 40.5K miles and am planning to drive to Florida in a couple of weeks (1600 miles) and would rather do it there if its safe to hold out that long...

If you plan on taking I-95 to Florida I would go ahead and do it now. You know how the traffic can get....

If you plan on taking I-95 to Florida I would go ahead and do it now. You know how the traffic can get....

We have a 2008 M5 automatic with 45K miles. Getting ready for summer vacation in the 5.

Going south on 95 myself next month. Did the front pads back in April. Just did my rear pads yesterday. Did the oil a week ago and air filter. Next its the Transmission fluid, then the coolant.

Thanks guys but I'm in the midwest so wont be taking I-95.

Is it necessary to change the rotors and pads at the same time? The shop quoted me both for $405, they said it'll prob be ok until the next oil change so another 3K miles...

Still, 4mm?
It took me 6 month to use up that much, but I guess it all depends if all 4 pads have even amount left and how you drive.
You don't need rotors unless they are warped or below specifications.
Parts cost alone is about $100 online, about 1 hours labor, so maybe $200-$250 would be a good shop rate. But I guess they charge 100% parts markup so $200+$150 for work + shop supplies + brake bleeding, $405 sounds about right.

Thanks guys but I'm in the midwest so wont be taking I-95.

Is it necessary to change the rotors and pads at the same time? The shop quoted me both for $405, they said it'll prob be ok until the next oil change so another 3K miles...
You have a 2012 with 40k? Wow, you must commute a lot. If highway miles and mid west driving, I think your pads are fine for your trip.

Here are my FRONT pads at 46k BUT this is east coast/NYC/Phila driving. The rears from what I recall looked like they can last a bit longer and wearing evenly. 4mm can last you a bit. Most of the car's braking forces are applied to the front and as stated above, you do not need new rotors.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ront-pads-after-46K-original-miles&highlight=

I got over 50K with my fronts and when I went to do the rears, I decided that I have enough left on them to send the parts back. OK, well, part of that was that Rockauto.com has the wrong Centec ceramic part listed for the rears. They DEFINITELY would not fit. But I chose not to pursue replacements b/c there was plenty left. IIRC, I read that rears should last more than 2X longer than the fronts.

WOW! That seems awfully soon to me. I have 96k on my front and rear pads...

The rotors should be turned and resurfaced when replacing pads. No need to replace the rotor unless it is warped, or is too thin to be resurfaced.

Having that many miles on a '12 makes me think you drive less city than highway, so the likelihood of your rear brakes needing replacement already is very low. But without being there and seeing them, we can only go by what you say or are told.

Also, if you just got back from a dealer service (oil change?) and they are telling you they're ok until the next oil change (3k miles), then I wouldn't trust them. 3k oil changes are completely unnecessary, a waste of resources, and 2k miles below the manufacturer recommended interval for heavy use or extreme climates. They are in it for their own well-being, not yours or your vehicle's.

I just did the rear pads at 113k for the first time on my 08 5AT. The fronts held on till 105k. Still on the original rotors all the way around.

Back