Can't shift gears when stuck in rush hour- PLEASE HELP

So I have a manual Protege 5 2002 and for the last year this issue has gotten increasingly worse and seems to happen more in hotter weather. When I drive normally and traffic fine the car shifts fine no issues at all. However, when I get stuck in rush hour traffic for a long time I am having issues shifting. I find that if I hold the clutch in for a long time and then go to shift into 2nd it will not go. If I laving it in neutral and then try to get it into 1st it wont go. I pump the clutch, does not help put it in neutral for a while then try to shift into first, no go. Sometimes my only option is to put it into 3rd( which it goes) and then try to down shift or slide it into 2nd or 1st. Again I am in rush hour so I am barely moving. Once traffic eases up and I drive for a bit, it seems to "loosen" up and then I can shift normally. It used to happen more in the summer when it was hot out, however had it happen last week and it was only 65 outside. I was stuck in stop and go traffic for almost an hour. At the time I could not leave it in neutral as then I could not get it into first, so I had to leave it in first with the clutch pushed down and i panic as 3rd is the only gear i can get it into. I have changed the tranny fluid recently, there is no clutch slippage and it drives great the rest of the time. It seems like an overheating issue in the clutch or tranny somewhere. But I am at a loss as to where to even start, linkage, bushings, clutch... Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks, Suzie

I had the exact thing happen to me. Once it gets hot and you are in traffic the problems starts to get worse and worse. I ended up just changing out the clutch line and putting new fluid in the system. Haven't had the problem since. I think it is definitely worth a try since it is a cheap place to start.

Dude I have the same exact problem on my car especially when driving it for over an hour or so and then when i come to a stop. It sucks so bad, I just put in new short shifter and new shifter bushings, it helped out a little but still happens fairly frequently. sometimes have to start in third like you said, I feel so bad for the car but im like rushing not to get beeped at. Already changed trans fluid. I have come to the realization that most likely its time for a whole new clutch and trans. Im thinking ill continue to start on whatever gear i can for the next couple months and get a evo x by the end of the year. But good luck to you man. Seems like everything ive done has not changed it at all. Most likely your best bet is to just save up for a new clutch kit and get the flywheel resurfaced. Then I feel like it might get a lot better.

Oh and i definetly agree about it most likely being a heating issue. Thats exactly what I thought it was. Not sure, looked into external trans. coolers but definetly not wanting to get into all those cooling lines and tapping into other parts of the car. What trans fluid are you using? Is it MT-90 cause thats what I put in. Maybe that fluid is the reason, idk.

I had the exact thing happen to me. Once it gets hot and you are in traffic the problems starts to get worse and worse. I ended up just changing out the clutch line and putting new fluid in the system. Haven't had the problem since. I think it is definitely worth a try since it is a cheap place to start.

+1, exact same situation and changing the clutch fluid made the most difference for me and totally got rid of the issue immediately. Do that first as it is the easiest/cheapest before shelling out cash on a clutch job.

Changing the MT fluid didn't do much, nor did adjusting the clutch pedal; both of which I tried before changing the clutch fluid.

Latest posts

Back