New HID Fog bulbs

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life but was curious to know from all the 2013+ CX-9 owners here that have replaced their fog light bulbs with HIDS, if they had to do any modifications to the shroud? Or was everything simply plug & play? Also, did you guys use a battery harness to power the HIDs? Thanks in advance!

I replaced the stock fog bulbs on my 2013 with HIDs - one of the easiest jobs ever. The longest part was taking the shroud out to access the back of the fog light housing. The wires all plugged into factory connections, the bulb fit righte into the housing. No modifications needed. Total time was maybe 15 minutes a side, and the results are great. I got 6000's which matched the 6000's i replaced from the factory HID headlights. The goofiest part was trying to understand the instructions. Obviouslly German poorly translated into american. There are pleanty of videos on You Tube which shows how to install them if you want to see it ahead of time. Got them on Amazon for like $40 - go for it!

I replaced the stock fog bulbs on my 2013 with HIDs - one of the easiest jobs ever. The longest part was taking the shroud out to access the back of the fog light housing. The wires all plugged into factory connections, the bulb fit righte into the housing. No modifications needed. Total time was maybe 15 minutes a side, and the results are great. I got 6000's which matched the 6000's i replaced from the factory HID headlights. The goofiest part was trying to understand the instructions. Obviouslly German poorly translated into american. There are pleanty of videos on You Tube which shows how to install them if you want to see it ahead of time. Got them on Amazon for like $40 - go for it!

Don't you get a ton of glare from the HID's without projector housings?

Not at all. The fogs are low enough that is spreads the light out pretty good. Much better than the factory H bulbs could ever be. I especially like them in rain and ice.

You replaced the factory HIDs? Why?

I wanted 6000's. Big difference even with staying with the 35 watt. Im glad I did. Plus, it matched my 6000 fogs. The factory HIDs are like 4300 or 5000.

So you didn't use a battery harness?
If you didn't, both fogs light up with no problem?
Thanks in advance!

For the fogs, the factory wires that connect to the factory halogen bulb connect to the ballist of the HID fog bulbs. Then there is a seperate wire from the ballist which connects to the HID bulb. Its so simple, just make two plugins - no need to modify anything. Then just attach the ballist to the inisde fender with double sticky 3m tape. Quick easy job with very good results.

So you didn't use a battery harness?
If you didn't, both fogs light up with no problem?
Thanks in advance!

For the fogs, the factory wires that connect to the factory halogen bulb connect to the ballist of the HID fog bulbs. Then there is a seperate wire from the ballist which connects to the HID bulb. Its so simple, just make two plugins - no need to modify anything. Then just attach the ballist to the inisde fender with double sticky 3m tape. Quick easy job with very good results.

To answer your question, if you go with a 35w kit you should not need a separate harness to the battery. If you go with a 55w kit, the harness will be recommended. I would personally go with the 35w for the fog lights... 55 seems excessive for how small the enclosure is.

good to know. thanks for the all the info guys, will be purchasing a 35W 3000K kit because I love that pure, deep yellow look. JDM style! I'll post pictures soon!

I didnt use any additional harness on my 55w kit. I make that decision based on our factory wiring being more then large enough to handle the task already. There hasnt been a single issue. Im still planning on actually adjusting my lights UP some as the cut off is too short of my liking.

good to know. thanks for the all the info guys, will be purchasing a 35W 3000K kit because I love that pure, deep yellow look. JDM style! I'll post pictures soon!

I love that look. Have that on a different car. Looking to do that to my CX-5 too eventually. It's going to look awesome. I'll look out for your pics.

Back