New HID Fog bulbs

b737mx

:
2013 CX-9 GT
I had to change out the 2013 GT fog lamps. I hated the halogen yellow look when own with the OEM HID's. They don't match exactly, but very close. I just took a chance and ordered the 4500K 35w.

DDM_4500K_HID35w.JPG
Fog_before.JPG
Fog_afer.JPG
NewHID_fogs.JPG

What brand were they? Where they the 35w also? I may order the 6000K and move these to my truck.

I recently got a set of the zenix 6000k 9006 bulb replacements for my 08 GT. The zenix kit comes with a one piece ballast/igniter that is solid metal and a bunch of different mounting options. i installed them this morning and it was pretty straightforward. The output of the 6000k appears to be slightly brighter white than the stock 08 hid low beams, but it's pretty close. I'll post a photo when it gets a bit darker.
Thankfully my wife's car takes 9006 bulbs in the low beams so I may try out the 4300k kit as well and stick whichever doesnt match well in her car.

As promised- photos...

Lens flare.jpg
Garage door.jpg
You can see the slight difference in color on the garage door. When looking at them straight on you really can't tell because you just go blind from the brightness :)

My 2011 factory HID was close to 4300, but the 2013 is closer to 6000. At the 6000's come close to matching the LED DRL's.

Interested in doing this myself, especially if I don't need to hook up a relay or run wires to the battery/fuse box to power the ballasts. Is there a really easy (no jack or bumper removal needed) way to access the fog light bulbs?

Changing the factory fogs to HID took about 15 minutes a side. Simpley remove the spash guard, and the wiring harness plugs right into the OEM plug. Ballast is mounted to wall using double sided tape. Its really quick and easy and the reults are great. The link to the 2013 bulbs is in my post above. They came from Germany and the english translation of the directions are marginally understandable. There are several youtube videos shich show how to connect them, but it really is pretty easy.
Good luck.

Forgive my ignorance, this would be the most complex thing I've done on a car myself, but you're talking about accessing the splash guard from inside the wheel well, right? Ironically, I'm far more comfortable with the electrical part than the body moulding part.

Also, there was no need to solder because the plug has the positive and negative connections and the wattage/amperage draw is low enough for the stock wiring to handle?

Last edited:
Its fine. The slash guard is just beneath the fog lights. They are attached by 4 plastic retaining clips. If you look in the owners manual und replacing the fog lights, they have a picture of the guard and the clips. As far as the electrical goes, that is actually the easiest part. No soldering reuired. The wiring harness that comes with the HID bulbs and ballast plugs right into the OEM plug that goes onto the current factory bulb. Theres not a huge draw because the ballast does the voltage conversion to fire the bulbs, after that the draw is not dissimilar to the factory bulbs.

I did this on my 2011 after I got it and was a little apprehensive at first also, but after the first one, you will fin there is nothing to it. The 2013 was the same, just a different bulb.

Hope this helps.

I ordered a kit from DDM tuning, so when it gets here, the 3000k will hopefully offer better penetration in the fog we get here on the central CA coast. Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

I looked at some of their kits at DDM, and their wireing harnesses look basically the same, so you should be good.

Good luck!!

Yeah, I added HIDs to the fogs as well. Even though I ordered 4300k color, it still is more blue (white?) than the factory HIDs. Looks nice though.

image_zpsd552b224.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see, the 3000k is a big difference from the OEM HID lights in the low beams. I think it's a big improvement in light output and I can't wait to see them in the fog.

I took it to a mechanic, I just don't have a jack, so I figured take it to somewhere with a lift and the technician took less twenty minutes. I watched him do it and I seemed like an easy install. I should probably invest in a good jack for the next time I want to do something like this. Maybe I should work on my wife's 3's fogs. Hmm.

Sorry for the delay in postg bck. The HID's I used are on he link below - from Amazon. Note that th 2013's use a different bulb thanearlir models.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I'm thinking about getting this as well.

9006 would be the correct bulb size for 2013?

And would I need to also buy the HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker as well as the H11 Relay Harness For Xenon HID Conversion Kit?

Back