Choosing between the 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD and 2014 Mazda6 GT

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
I'm not sure if anyone else cross-shopped these two Mazdas, since one is a Compact CUV and the other a mid-size sedan.

I thought I had made a decision to buy a 2014 Mazda6 later this year, but I was comparing it to the 2013 CX-5 with the 2.0L engine. Now that the CX-5 has the 2.5L, they are both VERY appealing!

The pricing with my loyalty incentive is almost identical for a CX-5 GT w/ Tech Pkg and a Mazda6 GT w/ MRCC/FOW Pkg (Radar Cruise Control & Front Obstruction Warning).

Comparing equipment differences-

The MZ6 has a power passenger seat, the CX-5 doesn't
The MZ6 has an 11-speaker version of the Bose Audio system; the CX-5 has 9-spkrs
The MZ6 has Rear Cross Traffic Alert, a feature I don't see listed on the CX-5 (unless I overlooked it)
The MZ6 also has Radar Cruise Control and the Front Obstruction Warning system.

The only thing I really care about is the Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

The Radar Cruise Control seems like extra tech for tech's sake.

Front Obstruction Warning??? I have one now, it's called a windshield!

Could care less if my passenger has a power or manual seat.

I am also very intersted in the Skyactiv-D Diesel engine that will become an option on the Mazda6 in the next few months. It could be the deciding factor if its as good as the preliminary reviews claim...

Anything else I should consider comparing these two models? The CX-5 is also rated 6mpg lower on the Highway than the Mazda6, another pretty big difference....

It sucks trying to decide between two cars that rank at the top of their respective classes, but its a win-win, regardless....

Here are a few more factors:
Wll the car be a commuter car or the family car? I see you already have a CX-9. For commuting, mpg is more important to me.
Do you need to sit higher up? I ask this because several of my older colleagues find it easier to step into a CX-5 than a sedan.
The CX-5 will have double the cargo room as the 6. Is that useful to you?
One car might be quieter than the other. The CX-9 is pretty quiet, that might be a good benchmark to compare the CX-5 and the 6.

The 6 GT also has driver's seat memory, the CX-5 does not.
If you don't need AWD(I know you're looking at the FWD CX-5) & you don't need the cargo space in the rear, then go for the 6, it'll get better gas mileage.
Or wait for the next speed6, like I'm doing. Bought the CX-5 for the wife.

I'm not sure if anyone else cross-shopped these two Mazdas, since one is a Compact CUV and the other a mid-size sedan.
I've been eyeing the new Mazda6 also. Pretty sweet little sedan. I stopped by my dealer and had a look but no time for a drive. If I get one it would be in addition to the CX-5 though.

But you are making it too difficult by comparing the minutia of the electronics. Those are just details.

I'll make it real simple for you. One is a sedan, the other is a compact SUV. That's about all you need to know.

Now which one do you want or need?

For going slow in the city or country I'd take the CX-5. For covering long, fast miles the sedan. Simple, right? ;-)

My thinking more or less agrees with MikeM. I would prefer the CX5 because of sitting higher which give me a better view in city or suburban driving and it is still OK for long highway trip, although not as good as the 6. Drive each and leave the radio and other non-essential stuff offto decide. JMO. Ed

If you need or will use the utility, then get the CX-5. If not, the 6 makes more sense. You get a lot more for the money. I have a feeling most of those features will be added to the CX-5 during some mid-cycle refresh, but for now, the 6 has some noticeably nicer features.

Since you are considering FWD, unless you need the utility, I'd go for the 6 because it would be more fun to drive and will get better MPG.
These features lists don't matter much at all. Perhaps you want to wait for the Diesel 6, which would have phenomenal torque. Not advisable if you have only off-highway short trips.

I would like the memory seats, and the reactive CC, the latter would make the CC more usable in the UK.

I also found the 6 wood (plastic) insert colour slightly different and looked better than the CX5, along with some chrome detail lacking on the CX5.

I saw both before I ordered a CX5, but you have to buy what fits your criteria.

On two of my test drive trips to dealers, I walked by and had some time to checkout the 2014 Mazda 6. It's stunningly beautiful and looks like it shares genes with an Aston Martin DB9.

I enjoyed seeing it but it wasn't a distraction because I need the ground clearance that the CX-5 offers. Add All Wheel Drive and plenty of cargo space and I've got something that can play in the Colorado mountains in a way that the Mazda 6 can't.

I think you need to first make that decision, as others have suggested. SUV or Sports Sedan. Either has great engines, great transmissions, and shares many features, but you're at the Apples to Oranges stage right now.

Thanks for all the input and opinions.

The Mazda6 or CX-5 will be replacing my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door which served me very well for 93k miles. I bought it new in Dec 2005, it was involved in a serious accident in 2010 and should have been totaled (worth $10,500 at the time, but the at-fault driver's insurer (Snake Farm) insisted on repairing it, airbags and all! When the repairs were completed to my satisfaction, they ended paying almost $14k) but the car was properly repaired and all safety systems (down to seat belt buckles and passenger weight sensor) were fully replaced. The car looks and drives as good as ever. My nephew is turning 15 in a few months and the Mazda3 will be his b-day present!

I'm definitely leaning toward the Mazda6 at this point. I was checking out the differences between the trim levels offered in Canada vs. the U.S. on a whim. In Canada, they also have three trim levels- GX, GS and GT. They roughly correspond to our Sport, Touring and Grand Touring models, but there are some feature differences that I find puzzling. The GS has premium cloth instead of 'leatherette' in our Touring model, which I would actually prefer. There is a GS Luxury Package that upgrades to leather (not leatherette) and Navigation. On the negative side, the GS has the 17" wheels and isn't available with then Bose stereo. The GS also has power moonroof, which is only offered on our Grand Touring.

The leatherette upholstery is the only deal-breaker keeping me from getting the Mazda6 Touring w/ Touring Tech Package. If nothing else, the seats should be heated, which they aren't. So I'm back to the Grand Touring.....

I read a very interesting article, though I can't recall where at the moment, about the Soul Red paint. It stated that at least one competitor had analyzed the finish and concluded that it was of such high quality that the $300 upgrade charge doesn't cover half of what it actually costs Mazda! I love the Soul Red as well as Blue Reflex, with Almond interior, but after reading that I think I'm sold on Soul Red!

One other minor concern is that the MRCC/FOW package that costs $900 will be replaced by the Advanced Package costing $2080 starting with cars produced this month. For the extra $1180, it adds a regenerative braking recharging system called i-ELOOP that is very interesting, Lane Departure Warning System and Automatic High-Beam Control for the Xenons. Ideally, I'd love to find a Grand Touring without either package....but they are very few and far between. Most likely, I'll end up paying $2080 for features that I don't really need or want, but the same is true on most mid-size sedans. At least Mazda isn't nearly as rigid as Honda with their trim levels, features and limited color combinations! I drove Hondas and Acuras for the first 20 years of my driving life, and I always had to choose the interior color I wanted then settle for what exterior colors it came with...I had a '96 Accord in the most hideous color called Eucalyptus Green just because I wanted Gray interior....I despised that car! I got t-boned at an intersection by a drunk driver when it was just over two years old. After the dust (literally, from the airbags) settled and I realized that I wasn't mortally wounded, just banged up, I was giddy inside that the damn thing was totaled!

Anyway, Mazda really needs to get on the ball with introducing the Skyactiv-D Diesel option! It will be the first diesel engine offered in a mid-size sedan in the U.S. in almost 30 years! And those diesels from 30 years ago (GM 350 V8 Diesel, in particular) are the reason we've been deprived of them for so long! My uncle had a Cadillac Deville with the V8 Diesel and blew four head gaskets in the first 15k miles. Finally they installed a gasoline version of the 350 V8, an Oldsmobile engine, which lasted for more than a decade without a hickup...

Mazda has always been a pioneer in engine technology, so I have high hopes for the Diesel! Bring it on!!!

My thinking more or less agrees with MikeM. I would prefer the CX5 because of sitting higher which give me a better view in city or suburban driving and it is still OK for long highway trip, although not as good as the 6. Drive each and leave the radio and other non-essential stuff offto decide. JMO. Ed

Agreed, that's how I see it, I have 2 sport sedans and find the CX-5 to be preferred vehicle in suburban/urban driving.

I think it is very fair to cross shop between the two. They are very similar in design and share a considerable amount of comoponentry as well.
Without resounding too many of the same specifics already mentioned here, I agree with what others have said - the CX-5 will get you more cargo and higher clearance, and if necessary, AWD, which isn't available yet on the Gen III MZ6.

I personally plan to own both, with my wife driving the CX-5 exclusively (which she already does), and replacing my Speed6 with the much safer and efficient diesel Mazda 6 arriving later this year. For me, the final results, bearing efficiency and performance makes or breaks my decision on the new 6. But, I am confident it will be a winner.

Get both!

If you do a lot of highway travelling the 6 will get you 38 or more on highway as a recent 115 mile trip of mine proved. Both are incredibly fun to drive, had the 6 for only a few months but extremely hapy with the build and quality of it so far.

Last edited:
One Skyactiv 4 banger is plenty for my tastes, I like variety in both vehicle configuration and also engine configuration and power.

One Skyactiv 4 banger is plenty for my tastes, I like variety in both vehicle configuration and also engine configuration and power.

Oh yeah I agree, if I was the only one driving I would never buy both lol so that's bad advice from me.The CX-5 is the wifeys ride, the 6 is exclusive to me. Although I "borrow" the CX-5 quite often but she's not allowed in the driver's seat of my 6!

We had this same dilemma. We decided the CX-5 was more practical for OUR family. I would love to have both. The 6 is a gorgeous vehicle.

I have this dilemma myself...still have a few months before I get serious about making a purchase though so I'll just continue to gather info on both and then do the test drive. It seems that the 6 has less issues with rattles, hood/mirror vibration, cracked windshields, etc based on what I'm seeing on these message boards. I'm also hoping Mazda corrects the USB music and poor NAV/screen size on both soon too.

It seems that the 6 has less issues with rattles, hood/mirror vibration, cracked windshields, etc based on what I'm seeing on these message boards.

I would not base the decision on message board volume of rattles, vibrations and cracked windshields because the CX-5 has been out a lot longer. Also, it's likely a prime target of competing manufacturers because, in many important and fundamental ways, it outclasses competing offerings that manufacturers see as key to profits. I am not kidding when I say that big advertising departments have small, covert negative advertising departments. A reasonable strategy would be to identify the issues some early models have and then visit message boards harping over and over on these issues to create the impression that said issues have not been addressed by the manufacturer and are endemic to the model. But the truth is, most of us have not had an unusual number of rattles, squeaks and vibrations.

There is no more effective sales strategy than successfully creating doubt and fears about your competitors products quality and reliability.

Make the decision based upon whether a sedan or suv is more suitable for your intended usage.

if a sedan works for you, then get the 6. Its a much nicer vehicle than the CX-5.
Only reason I got the CX-5 is because I have dogs and need the hatchback.

Unfortunately Mazda wont bring the 6 wagon here so we are forced to make this compromise between the 2

Back