My suspension upgrade project.

Mazdah5

:
2006 Mazda 5
I recently became the owner of what I thought was a nice '06 Mazda 5 with 126'000 klm. On the test drive I thought it felt like the front right strut was not too good, but otherwise it felt ok to drive. Once I got the van into the workshop for a better look at the brakes and suspension, I realized it was a lot more tired and worn than it felt to drive. After some research here and elsewhere on the internet, I decided it was worth putting the money and time into rebuilding and upgrading both the front and rear suspension systems. I went with BC Racing's kit for the springs and dampers, SPC adjustable rear upper control arms, and mostly Whiteline bushings for the pivots. Unfortunately, none of the polyurethane bushing manufacturer's seem to do all the bushings needed, so I have Powerflex for the rear lower arm outer bushings, and Prothane bushings for the rear trailing arms pivot.
Originally my idea was to just install the springs and dampers, upper control arms, and only replace the lower control arm bushings. What changed my plan was the fact that the pivot bolts that provide toe adjustment for the rear end were completely seized to the steel sleeve within the rubber bushing, therefore a wheel alignment would be impossible to get right..... I decided to pull the entire rear sub frame assembly out so I could get everything up on the bench and burn out all the seized stuff with the torch. I could then strip everything down, clean the rust off as good as I could, and paint everything. So far all the rear end pieces are clean and painted, and some of the bushings have been pressed into the arms, and some of the bushings I'm still waiting for.
Definitely turned into a bigger job than I was hoping for, and more expensive, but I think it'll be worth it in the end!

Last edited:
Ok, here's some pictures I snapped with my phone. Sorry some are a little out of focus!

Last edited:
thanks for the pictures. I too am getting parts for my suspension replacement/upgrade. Where did you get your Powerflex bushings at? I don't think I'll need to go as far as you regarding the rear. Cars in Southern California tend not to rust like snow prone areas.

Last edited:
And please for the love of all mankind, if this gets rid of the clunking in the rear suspension, tell us! LOL That is going to an awful lot of trouble, but I applaud your efforts sir, it looks really really good all painted black like that....

Rally man, I didn't think I would be into this as far as I am either, but here I am! The Canadian winter is hard on everything I think...I purchased my Powerflex bushings from an Ebay seller in the UK named strutbracer. They were listed as Ford Focus parts, but identical to our 5's. It worked out surprisingly cheaper for me to buy from over there than to buy from the USA. I did find theses guy's ( http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0884E.html) had Powerflex, and were competitive in pricing, just more expensive for me with there shipping methods.

sidewindr, the bike rack is a Thule brand, model 990 XT (http://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/products/bike-carriers/hitch/990xt-doubletrack-_-990xt#). Works well, although the main reason I bought it was that it was from a friend who had used it once and was selling it cheap. The foam rubber that's used on the hook that clamps the bike frame is crap, and rubbed through in no time, therefore rubbing a small patch of paint off my frame. I removed it and slid a length of silicone heater hose over the hook and it's been great since. The hitch was already on the van, and is only a 1.25" receiver. I'd have to have a look at it again for the brand (the van is not here were I live), the label is still on it.

Davebert, the shop where the pics were taken is where I work. I'm a Heavy Duty mechanic working on charter bus', and luckily they are OK with me working on my own stuff there when I need. The van is actually elsewhere in an old wood floor garage, which is not very impressive! I had to bring all the rear suspension stuff to work so I could use the torch and press, also a pneumatic needle scaler and wire brushes in my die grinders for rust removal. They need a sand blaster!!!

Secondtyme, thanks for the paint comments. It took me a long time to clean and paint these parts, and I bet after a nice harsh next winter it'll all look like crap again! I'll be sure to comment on how the van rides and sounds when it's back on the road. That might be a few weeks away, as I'm waiting for some of the bushings to arrive ( I didn't anticipate needing some of them in the beginning, so they weren't all ordered at once ).

Impressive work! Hope the new life you've given her will reward you with years of trouble free use.

If possible, would be great if you can post the part numbers for all of the bushings you replace for reference in case other are searching for the same.

Swap in a Mazdaspeed3 rear sway bar. I just installed one on my Mazda5, makes the car handle so much better.

Rally Man, that's great info, just wondering where you sourced your Powerflex #'s?
The Powerflex #'s I have are from the Powerflex UK website and are different to yours. You've inspired me to try and edit a drawing of what I have ordered, something I'm not good at! I have included some notes that I think are important to know in regards to pressing the bushings in/out. If they don't make sense, I can take some pics of what I am trying to say!

Mazdah5, I got the p/n from good-win-racing, but I just went to Powerflex USA website and noticed they have different p/n's. I'll update them tomorrow.

Here are the new drawings with powerflex p/n's:

mazda5frontbushingrepla.jpg

mazda5fsbbushingreplace.jpg

mazda5rearbushingreplac.jpg

For the stock rear sway bar look for Energy Suspension 9.5127. I hope those p/n's look correct Mazdah5.

Silly question here about the Trailing Arm Bushing. I've looked at this thread and see both recommendations:

Prothane 6-308-BL
Energy Suspension 4.7124G

Both parts are readily available and I see from the pictures that the parts are basically just the circular bushing.

I see from the pics from Mazdah5 in the first post that he burned the old ones out.

What is left of the bar that mounts the bushing/arm to the frame of the vehicle?

When a shop presses these out, is it a 2 step process to first push out that steel bar then the bushing?

What is the process to install these new bushings? Do you press the bushing into place then press the steel bar into the bushing once it is in the arm? Is there some kind of special lube to use?

I thought the bushing would have the steel mounting part somewhat encased into the material and you pressed the one complete unit in.

Sorry folks, I'm new to suspensions and am trying to address my worn Bushing on my 2006.

Thanks for that link Rally Man and to Bluesideup.

That does answer all my question and gives me a better idea of pressing in the bushing myself.

Back