Wheel locks

rampage80

:
2014 Mazda 6 Touring (Blue Reflex)
Hi guys. One Mazda accessory I see offered by the various on-line vendors and Mazda dealerships are the wheel lock set and key. I've never used these on any of my previous Mazda's as I don't live in a high crime area, but the 19" rims and tires used on the Touring and GT have to be expensive to replace (although that's what insurance is for obviously). I realize that if a thief really wants your rims and/or tires it's going to happen, but I'd be curious as to the thoughts of other forum members on these things? Cheap insurance preventing your neighborhood kid with too much time on his hands from getting your rims, or a waste of money and too much of a hassle? Thanks in advance, Rampage

If you buy or lease or finance the car, they usually throw them in for free. I think they're worth it because they are insurance as kids probably wont go after them, but if someone does really want them, im sure they can take it off, but it could be time consuming, so maybe they wont try?

First, DO NOT buy them at the dealer. It will be cheaper if you go to a local tire dealer or eBay. There are several kinds out there. The most common is a set of 4 where you replace one lug in each tire or the full set which has a special socket to remove them. I have splined wheel locks on my Mazda 6 and deep splined lugs on my truck. What ever you choose, don't get ripped off by the dealer. BTW, a large socket, a hammer, time and determination...no wheel lock can help against that. If anything...these are just deterrents. Let them move on to the next car.

Back