2006 Mazda 5 Transmission Problem

radjeeper

:
2006 Mazda 5
I have a 2006 Mazda 5 Sport with the 4 speed automatic transmission. For the last several thousand miles when the transmission is not at normal operating temperature (read: morning start up or after cooling down) and while driving, the transmission will randomly down shift from 4th gear into 3rd gear and stick there. If I pull over and come to a complete stop the transmission will reset itself, usually, and I can proceed without any problems, as long as the transmission is warmed up enough. If it is not I will have to go through the same scenario all over again, sometimes two or there times. Sometimes, to get the transmission to reset I have to turn the car off and restart it. After the transmission resets, if sufficiently warm, it will function properly all day from many many miles. I drive very long distances with this car and have over 200K on it. The transmission has been running Royal Purple ATF for the last 50K miles or so and the transmission is serviced very regularly. I own and a custom vehicle shop and suspect it is a solenoid malfunctioning? Someone suggested running additional ground wires and we did that with no change. Anyone have an idea how to fix this without a complete transmission change? Thanks.

I have a 2006 Mazda 5 Sport with the 4 speed automatic transmission. For the last several thousand miles when the transmission is not at normal operating temperature (read: morning start up or after cooling down) and while driving, the transmission will randomly down shift from 4th gear into 3rd gear and stick there. If I pull over and come to a complete stop the transmission will reset itself, usually, and I can proceed without any problems, as long as the transmission is warmed up enough. If it is not I will have to go through the same scenario all over again, sometimes two or there times. Sometimes, to get the transmission to reset I have to turn the car off and restart it. After the transmission resets, if sufficiently warm, it will function properly all day from many many miles. I drive very long distances with this car and have over 200K on it. The transmission has been running Royal Purple ATF for the last 50K miles or so and the transmission is serviced very regularly. I own and a custom vehicle shop and suspect it is a solenoid malfunctioning? Someone suggested running additional ground wires and we did that with no change. Anyone have an idea how to fix this without a complete transmission change? Thanks.

Hi there, Mine has 120,000 miles with AT light and engine light ON. Only 1&2 gears is operational, Sent to a side street mechanic , waited 6 weeks to finished, unfortunately still with all the lights ON. Filled a complaint and law suit with them already. They said they changed the transmission ( rebuilt it ) new PCM has been installed, ( i have the old one )i just dont know how new? Same thing with your case, when its cold or the engine just started its running fine, shifting smoothly. But after a few miles 3rd and 4th gear shifts erratically and soon the transmission will work only with 1 and 2 gears at 4000 to 5000RPM. Its either im off to the dealer or to a reputable Trans repair shop, if theres any.

Does the trans report failure codes in the same PO language as the rest of the vehicle systems? If so is it possible to read trans faults with an OBD reader the same as engine faults? The AT light being on means the trans has suffered an electrical fault according to my owners manual ( which is a MY06) I thought the light came on to indicate a fluid overheat, so I have learned something already LOL. To the above poster, get that thing to an AAMCO or other name brand shop before you take it to the dealer, try to confirm if the "shadetree" did, in fact replace the transmission.

P0762... They changed the solenoid but still experiencing the same problem as before. AT and ENGINE light ON. After changing the PCM, no issues on the Engine and AT lights, But while driving in the highway with AC on the 3rd and 4th gear is jerking between 40 to 50MPH.

edited: got the codes again......... P0762 with AT light ON and Engine. Replaced the PCM, rebuilt the trans and still the same problem.
Got the car on the 28, with almost 150Miles driven, the code kick in. today is the 31st.

Same codes... P0762 shift solenoid c stuck on... they said they changed it 3 times.

went to the reputable trans shop... its a mechanical problem not electrical...

They will replace the transmission again for the third time...Bad rebuilders...

Instead of a new Tranny, they "guessed" that the pressure control valve is at fault. Does the rebuilder changes every moving parts of the tranny if they rebuild them? Does this moving parts includes the Solenoids? Because, if they didnt changed those things, the problem will always be there...

Last edited:
Problem has persisted. Now have about 285,000 miles on vehicle. Still just living with it. Any body found a good fix yet. I found a low mileage OEM transmission I can swap in for a very good price. But if I can just replace the pressure control valve, which I am guessing is the problem, then I would prefer to do that. However, if the tranny has to be disassembled to change it then a good used tans. would be better. Let me know. Thanks.

Back