DIY Horn Upgrade

You may be referring to a newer model. I'm referring to a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring. One press just locks the doors. 2 presses activates the alarm.

Neither my (US-based) 2014 CX-5 Touring, nor my 2019 CX-5 Touring actually HAS a car alarm. Both do the second-press beep thing and both flash a LED on the dash when locked, but Mazda did not include an actual anti-theft alarm with these cars in the US. (I you read the manual, it says "if so equipped".)

But you can test yourself... open a window, lock & 'arm' the car, then reach through the window and open the door from inside.

Neither my (US-based) 2014 CX-5 Touring, nor my 2019 CX-5 Touring actually HAS a car alarm. Both do the second-press beep thing and both flash a LED on the dash when locked, but Mazda did not include an actual anti-theft alarm with these cars in the US. (I you read the manual, it says "if so equipped".)

But you can test yourself... open a window, lock & 'arm' the car, then reach through the window and open the door from inside.
I have tested it. But with the hood, insinuating that someone was trying to steal my battery, (which was a trend around here for a while) and the alarm went off....horn honking, lights flashing, AND starter disabled. So idk why your cars don't have the same alarm system installed. I'm a 35 year mechanic (not 35 years old) so I'm pretty sure I know what an alarm is and how it works. Might wanna see why you got jipped on an actual alarm system 😂

So, I ordered a made in USA Fiamm High Tone horn from amazon and set about installing it today. The cover plate came out easy enough, but I had to wrestle it around the hood latch. I made a wye harness to plug it into the factory harness, but, lo, and behold!! I HAVE 2 horns in my '16.5! The right side, high horn didn't work and apparently never worked from new. The horn was a dull and quiet as my '15. So, the Fiamm horn bolted up the the factory bracket and the wire plugged into it, clicking like it was made to and I have a noticeable, melodic horn, now with no worries about current or fuse size.

Check to see if you have 2 horns and that they both work.

Back