Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: DIY Horn Upgrade

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by Ride92 View Post
    Instead of drilling out robots why not just take the front bumper off? There's a good how to up on YouTube, doesn't seem to be that hard
    I watched that video and, having done this upgrade several months ago using the "drilling out the rivets (robots?) method, I can tell you it's a lot less work than pulling off the bumper.

Mazda CX-5 '14 GTw/Tech

I didn't watch the video and can tell you drilling the rivits is easier.

2015 Mazda 3 sGT HB 6MT; 2015 CX-5 GT AWD, 2003 E39

2015 cx5 has a modified top plate where a metal bar is attached to the bottom of the plastic plate. This makes removing it impossible without damaging other stuff. I drilled out the rivets only to find out I could not remove he top plate. Frustrated, I explored other possibilities and I was able to lift the top plate just enough to reach in and install a second high note horn (from Mazda 6). All could have been done without drilling out the rivets.

I also a found an alternative solution to reinstalling rivets. 50 cents solution from ace hardware, just need to enlarge the hole a tiny bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finish look of rivet substitute.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by supradupe View Post
    2015 cx5 has a modified top plate where a metal bar is attached to the bottom of the plastic plate. This makes removing it impossible without damaging other stuff. I drilled out the rivets only to find out I could not remove he top plate. Frustrated, I explored other possibilities and I was able to lift the top plate just enough to reach in and install a second high note horn (from Mazda 6). All could have been done without drilling out the rivets. I also a found an alternative solution to reinstalling rivets. 50 cents solution from ace hardware, just need to enlarge the hole a tiny bit.
    Not the first time someone chose to substitute trim clips for rivets. What makes you think the 2015 grill is different from earlier models? I have to admit, it's been a while since I did my 2013, but I don't believe what you're describing is any different that what I and others dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Not the first time someone chose to substitute trim clips for rivets. What makes you think the 2015 grill is different from earlier models? I have to admit, it's been a while since I did my 2013, but I don't believe what you're describing is any different that what I and others dealt with.
    Because I compared mine 2015 with pictures from the 2013 CX5, there are differences. The addition of a u-shaped metal bar on the bottom of the top plate, there is no way you can remove the top plate without removing the bumper. You are in no position to challenge me without looking at the 2015 model.

There are five rivets in 2015 compare to the 2013 there are only three. There are differences, I am just trying to point out that there is an easy way without drilling and without removing the top plate. If you feel offended because you did the hard way, that's too bad.
    Last edited by supradupe; 05-25-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Registered Member

Because I compared mine 2015 with pictures from the 2013 CX5, there are differences. The addition of a u-shaped metal bar on the bottom of the top plate, there is no way you can remove the top plate without removing the bumper. You are in no position to challenge me without looking at the 2015 model.

There are five rivets in 2015 compare to the 2013 there are only three. There are differences, I am just trying to point out that there is an easy way without drilling and without removing the top plate. If you feel offended because you did the hard way, that's too bad.
    Well there are actually four rivets in the 2013, but who's counting. Actually, it was quite an easy mod. End of discussion.

Mazda CX-5 '14 GTw/Tech

Agree with Paris. I was an easy mod.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

I was able to lift the top plate just enough to reach in and install a second high note horn (from Mazda 6). All could have been done without drilling out the rivets.
    Can you elaborate a bit on this? Did you pull the other (non-rivet) connectors and then just pry it up? Lift from the back? Haven't tried this yet, but always looking for simpler!

Registered Member

bmw 328xi 2015

I just rigged this to the door handle. Wear a big red nose too.

2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver

I just did this mod and I drilled the rivets and lifted the top. I wasn't that hard.

Registered Member

14 CX5 Touring with Tech/Mnrf

I'm picking up a Mazda OEM High Note horn tomorrow (gkl16678yc or d). I just want to clarify the wiring. The horn self grounds through the mounting bolt, right? Then all I need to do is run a wire from the existing low note (left side) to the new high note, right?

Thanks in advance.
    C.

Registered Member

14 CX5 Touring with Tech/Mnrf

Did the upgrade this weekend. Getting the shroud off was a pain (the clips). Aside from that a pretty easy upgrade and much better sound.

2016 CX-5 GT - Tech Package

Once I find a good grill screen DIY, I have a couple of Cadillac horns and a relay I might install.....

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Gio26NJ View Post
    I'm surprised old MikeM hasn't hijacked this thread talking about how much time Mazda spent on engineering the Skyactive horn and how there is no advantage of using an aftermarket one
    You know that isnt a very nice thing to write!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast