DIY Horn Upgrade

Instead of drilling out robots why not just take the front bumper off? There's a good how to up on YouTube, doesn't seem to be that hard
I watched that video and, having done this upgrade several months ago using the "drilling out the rivets (robots?) method, I can tell you it's a lot less work than pulling off the bumper.

2015 cx5 has a modified top plate where a metal bar is attached to the bottom of the plastic plate. This makes removing it impossible without damaging other stuff. I drilled out the rivets only to find out I could not remove he top plate. Frustrated, I explored other possibilities and I was able to lift the top plate just enough to reach in and install a second high note horn (from Mazda 6). All could have been done without drilling out the rivets.

I also a found an alternative solution to reinstalling rivets. 50 cents solution from ace hardware, just need to enlarge the hole a tiny bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 507
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 462
Finish look of rivet substitute.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 555
2015 cx5 has a modified top plate where a metal bar is attached to the bottom of the plastic plate. This makes removing it impossible without damaging other stuff. I drilled out the rivets only to find out I could not remove he top plate. Frustrated, I explored other possibilities and I was able to lift the top plate just enough to reach in and install a second high note horn (from Mazda 6). All could have been done without drilling out the rivets. I also a found an alternative solution to reinstalling rivets. 50 cents solution from ace hardware, just need to enlarge the hole a tiny bit.
Not the first time someone chose to substitute trim clips for rivets. What makes you think the 2015 grill is different from earlier models? I have to admit, it's been a while since I did my 2013, but I don't believe what you're describing is any different that what I and others dealt with.

Not the first time someone chose to substitute trim clips for rivets. What makes you think the 2015 grill is different from earlier models? I have to admit, it's been a while since I did my 2013, but I don't believe what you're describing is any different that what I and others dealt with.

Because I compared mine 2015 with pictures from the 2013 CX5, there are differences. The addition of a u-shaped metal bar on the bottom of the top plate, there is no way you can remove the top plate without removing the bumper. You are in no position to challenge me without looking at the 2015 model.

There are five rivets in 2015 compare to the 2013 there are only three. There are differences, I am just trying to point out that there is an easy way without drilling and without removing the top plate. If you feel offended because you did the hard way, that's too bad.

Last edited:
Because I compared mine 2015 with pictures from the 2013 CX5, there are differences. The addition of a u-shaped metal bar on the bottom of the top plate, there is no way you can remove the top plate without removing the bumper. You are in no position to challenge me without looking at the 2015 model.

There are five rivets in 2015 compare to the 2013 there are only three. There are differences, I am just trying to point out that there is an easy way without drilling and without removing the top plate. If you feel offended because you did the hard way, that's too bad.
Well there are actually four rivets in the 2013, but who's counting. Actually, it was quite an easy mod. End of discussion.

I was able to lift the top plate just enough to reach in and install a second high note horn (from Mazda 6). All could have been done without drilling out the rivets.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? Did you pull the other (non-rivet) connectors and then just pry it up? Lift from the back? Haven't tried this yet, but always looking for simpler!

I just did this mod and I drilled the rivets and lifted the top. I wasn't that hard.

I'm picking up a Mazda OEM High Note horn tomorrow (gkl16678yc or d). I just want to clarify the wiring. The horn self grounds through the mounting bolt, right? Then all I need to do is run a wire from the existing low note (left side) to the new high note, right?

Thanks in advance.
C.

Did the upgrade this weekend. Getting the shroud off was a pain (the clips). Aside from that a pretty easy upgrade and much better sound.

Once I find a good grill screen DIY, I have a couple of Cadillac horns and a relay I might install.....

I'm surprised old MikeM hasn't hijacked this thread talking about how much time Mazda spent on engineering the Skyactive horn and how there is no advantage of using an aftermarket one :D

You know that isnt a very nice thing to write!:D

Just did this one to my 2014 Sport, adding a high note using the $15 https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). Horn sounds much better. I found the top plate to be a pain to remove at first, but once I saw how it was attached and figured out how to unclip it, it wasn't so bad. It probably would have helped to look at the service manual quickly to see how to do it before going in there.

Can someone please share a wiring diagram for this modification? I am planning to get a high note horn (the one came from Mazda 6) This is going to be my first DIY for my CX-5 if ever so I just want to make it sure the wiring connections are correct. Thanks. :)

This single low-note horn really annoys me (nailbyt)

Can someone please share a wiring diagram for this modification? I am planning to get a high note horn (the one came from Mazda 6) This is going to be my first DIY for my CX-5 if ever so I just want to make it sure the wiring connections are correct. Thanks. :)

This single low-note horn really annoys me (nailbyt)
Look at page 3, I posted a picture of the wire set up for it.

Hmm. I did the EXACT same mopd on my 2015 that I did n my 2013. Transferred the same horns over, and I don't recall there being any difference in the method I used in changing the horn..

Look at page 3, I posted a picture of the wire set up for it.

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Basically the things that I need are:
high-note horn
16 gauge wire
loop connector
spade terminal
do I still need a wire tap connector?

In this image, the wire encircled in red is the wire going to the vehicle's power line? How will you connect this to the power wire? if possible would you be able to post a pic of your installed horn showing the wires? Sorry to ask so many questions. :)
2015-09-08%2015_53_28-DIY%20Horn%20Upgrade%20-%20Page%203.jpg

Latest posts

Back