Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Horn Upgrade

Donated: $5

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    Didn't change mine, and it hasn't blown yet (~9 months).
    Thanks for the quick reply...... I can't wait to add it !!! I got abused by my coworkers until 1 of the other guys should up in his Kia. I saw on other peoples pix that there is already a ground on the other side, how did you end up powering it and did you have to add any other wiring. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

I didn't mess with any fise or relay and no problems.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by mixmasterlove View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply...... I can't wait to add it !!! I got abused by my coworkers until 1 of the other guys should up in his Kia. I saw on other peoples pix that there is already a ground on the other side, how did you end up powering it and did you have to add any other wiring. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again.
    Did you bother to read the thread you posted on? Everything you need to know is detailed in the previous three pages.

Registered Member

2014->2016->2018 CX-5 AWD Touring, various Miatas

I think I'm gonna add the high note horn like on my 2014 6 (has both a high and low). Just wondering do I have to change, or add or modify the current fuse, seeing is as its going from 1 for to 2?
    Unless you're adding an air horn with a compressor (like a Siebel Nautilus or Wolo Bad Boy) the existing circuit will be fine.

Mazda CX-5 '14 GTw/Tech

Yeah. No need to install a circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Did you bother to read the thread you posted on? Everything you need to know is detailed in the previous three pages.
    There is nothing in the posts (specifically pictures) showing how to ground and power the 2nd horn.......

2014 CX-5 Touring

Just ground the 2nd horn to its mounting bracket. The first post shows there's already a ground point there.

CX Moderator

There is nothing in the posts (specifically pictures) showing how to ground and power the 2nd horn.......
    This may help, if you aren't sure what you aren't what you are looking at this is the ground wire. Basically you would hook the ground wire from your daisy chained (or however you made it) horns into it. Typicall you would just use another loop connector like that and bolt it against the one already there. The first is the picture eon the first page, the second two are my wiring set up. You can make something like this and test it with a 9v battery. If you get a scratching sound your circuit works. A stop at autozone or the like can get you all the shit you need to do it. The two wires are identical, but it's recommended to try to get them to the length you think you will need so you don't have excess wire to bundle/hide.

Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 04-28-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Shout out to Chris, for PMing me and walking me through the whole process !!! Advice for anyone looking to do the mod, the oem horn wire is super thin like 18 gauge, and I used the high note horn from a 2014 Mazda 6 as the add on and it worked perfectly and the bracket even had a threaded hole to screw in existing ground.

CX Moderator

Word. I've received a lot of good help on this forum I try to give back when I can.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5

CX5's single horn is the same horn as the low tone (~300Hz) horn on the new Mazda 6. I bought the high tone horn for A$53 and located opposite original using those great instructions above. Sounds great. Standard fuse should be ample long term. Part number in AUS for high tone horn is GKL1-66-78YA.

2014 CX-5 Touring

Actually, I have to say that I (well, my wife anyway) would recommend against this mod.

Scares the living crap out of her when I lock the car just after she gets out!

Registered Member

2015 Mazda CX-5

Will the hella supertones sound different when you use the supplied relay opposed to not using the relay?

2013 CX-5 GS

Why no one do train horn yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!11
    324Whp/372Wtq
    02 GTP @ 12 psi
    13-CX5-GS

Registered Member

cx5

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    Pretty sure that NONE of the models will (or even CAN) let you adjust the level of the horn, locking the car or otherwise. I have a touring, and there's no option for that. The horn(s) are pretty simple devices, you apply 12V, they sound off. No level adjustment possible.

Having said all that, the short beep of the two horns is just fine when locking.
    I k ow this is old but maybe the newer models are updated. My 2015 has 3 levels of loudness. And I don't see why the h3ll they haven't updated the horn since you all made this post. Its so geeky. I'll just crash instead of trying to avoid an accident. Lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast