DIY Horn Upgrade

CX5's single horn is the same horn as the low tone (~300Hz) horn on the new Mazda 6. I bought the high tone horn for A$53 and located opposite original using those great instructions above. Sounds great. Standard fuse should be ample long term. Part number in AUS for high tone horn is GKL1-66-78YA.

Actually, I have to say that I (well, my wife anyway) would recommend against this mod.

Scares the living crap out of her when I lock the car just after she gets out!

Why no one do train horn yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Pretty sure that NONE of the models will (or even CAN) let you adjust the level of the horn, locking the car or otherwise. I have a touring, and there's no option for that. The horn(s) are pretty simple devices, you apply 12V, they sound off. No level adjustment possible.

Having said all that, the short beep of the two horns is just fine when locking.
I k ow this is old but maybe the newer models are updated. My 2015 has 3 levels of loudness. And I don't see why the h3ll they haven't updated the horn since you all made this post. Its so geeky. I'll just crash instead of trying to avoid an accident. Lol

Step by Step

For those who are iffy and not exactly sure how to remove the plastic panels above the grill, I have posted a few step by step pictures.

Using a 9/64" Drill Bit
ixd1mo.jpg

106n0ae.jpg

How the Rivet looks before being drilled:
332mro2.jpg

How the Rivet looks after using a 9/64" Drill Bit. You could go a size larger, but I wanted to play it safe (since this was my first time drilling into metal/aluminum):
5me4g5.jpg

If you can't remove the remains of the rivet, but you may need a flat head screw driver:
2af9m0.jpg

With all the plastic pins and rivets off, these fasteners too, were holding the panel in place (the biggest struggle for me).
flc4sm.jpg

I have not reattached the panel with rivets, but instead used the existing screws and plastic pins to secure it.

You can get the OEM rivet at the dealer, they are like $1.50 ea

My Mazda CX-5 horn sounds great compared to a Honda CR-V horn. The CR-V sounds like a "meep-meep" from a motor scooter. Still, I think I will add a high note horn to get a fuller sound.

I would do it, because I really really really really hate the stock horn, but, I don't like the idea of drilling out rivets and such. :-/ Wish it was easier to get in there to swap out the original and add the 2nd horn.

I would do it, because I really really really really hate the stock horn, but, I don't like the idea of drilling out rivets and such. :-/ Wish it was easier to get in there to swap out the original and add the 2nd horn.
You're over-thinking this. It's really not that difficult.

Remove the front bumper if you don't want to drill out the rivets. There's a video on YouTube on how to do so.

The 2016 CX-5 has two horns

FYI - I was thinking about doing the upgrade, and while doing some other work in the front noticed that both mounting locations have horns. I have a GT, don't know if the trim matters...

FYI - I was thinking about doing the upgrade, and while doing some other work in the front noticed that both mounting locations have horns. I have a GT, don't know if the trim matters...

I believe the single horn is only on 13-15 MY's, not the current '16.

Yes, the 2016 has two horns and IMHO they are acceptably loud compared to the single horn in the prior year models.

Yes, the 2016 has two horns and IMHO they are acceptably loud compared to the single horn in the prior year models.
This horn thing is a classic example of how a small company like Mazda can be penny wise and pound foolish. When I replaced the single horn on my 2013 I found it fascinating that the one they used was clearly marked "low tone" while the replacement horns I bought on Amazon were virtually the same except one was marked "low tone" and the other "high tone". Clearly these parts were meant to be installed in pairs and Mazda even has an installation point on the passenger side of the front structure which is exactly like the one on the driver's side where they installed the single horn. So three years later they decide, (what?) "We've made enough money on this model now we can afford to install the other horn and complete the set." In spite of the fact that Mazda designs and builds cars which in many ways are exceptional, sometimes it's a PIA dealing with a company which is so resource-poor!

Today a friend of mine showed his brandnew CX-5.
And guess what, Mazda installed TWO HORNS !!!!!!!!!!
Do they visit this forum ?

Gr. Wheelie

Today a friend of mine showed his brandnew CX-5.
And guess what, Mazda installed TWO HORNS !!!!!!!!!!
Do they visit this forum ?

Gr. Wheelie

The single wimpy horn is the only thing I really really really don't like about mine!!

Instead of drilling out robots why not just take the front bumper off? There's a good how to up on YouTube, doesn't seem to be that hard

Latest posts

Back