DIY Horn Upgrade

Was installing seat covers today (CoverKing) and I popped the hood to see the rivets and what it would take to remove the upper plastic.....

Looked through the grill and saw 2 (TWO!) curled trumpet horns. I guess I can scratch that project. Still need to install the radiator screen.

I"m gonna order up a FIAMM 72102 in a day or two and do this upgrade. The wife has finally had enough (or not enough) of the one dinky horn.
I just have one question: To anyone who has done the upgrade, have you encountered any issues, either electrical or mechanical since being done?
Just trying to avoid as many pitfalls as I can.

I"m gonna order up a FIAMM 72102 in a day or two and do this upgrade. The wife has finally had enough (or not enough) of the one dinky horn.
I just have one question: To anyone who has done the upgrade, have you encountered any issues, either electrical or mechanical since being done?
Just trying to avoid as many pitfalls as I can.
I did mine two years ago with no subsequent issues. It's a pretty simple upgrade.

I appreciate the input, paris, I have a new horn on its way. (drinks)

Did the upgrade today during an oil change. The tabs holding the metal cross bar were a challange, but other than that, it was smooth sailing!

A huge THANK YOU to all who gave input on this!

I removed the top panel today. By pushing the 4x tabs forward with a small flat head screw driver (to unhook the panel from the sheetmetal bar below), you could pull the panel out easily. J.Mike, you broke some of the tabs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Chris.

Basically the things that I need are:
high-note horn
16 gauge wire
loop connector
spade terminal
do I still need a wire tap connector?

In this image, the wire encircled in red is the wire going to the vehicle's power line? How will you connect this to the power wire? if possible would you be able to post a pic of your installed horn showing the wires? Sorry to ask so many questions. :)
2015-09-08%2015_53_28-DIY%20Horn%20Upgrade%20-%20Page%203.jpg

never saw this post but maybe someone else can find it useful. At least in the pre-16 cx-5s, the horn is self grounded. If I remember correctly the oem connector uses a little spade connector which you can connect to a female connector off the horns power wire.

I did this today, added a "Hi" horn on the left. Very pleased with the results. I decided to remove the bumper instead. It allowed me more room to get everything like I wanted. I will say it took a while, but I also had the whole thing jacked up so I could rotate the tires and clean the wheels. I created a mini-harness that I could just plug in to the source and the two horns. Everything on the harness is soldered. Later, I covered the harness with cloth tape in case anything rubbed that I couldn't prevent with wire ties. Fyi, 1. you don't need an extra bolt. One is right there, holding the ground cable. 2. I rotated the ground cable 90 degrees to the right so I didn't have to cut the curve off the top (you'll see). The horn had its own curve and that is the only way I could get both to fit.Wire Harness.JPG
I just realized that I didn't take a picture of the finished product. Not going back in though.

I also stopped the youtube video all along, used snipping tool to capture screen info and made a six page guide so I wouldn't screw up and leave something undone when I put it together. That was helpful. I remembered to reconnect the fog lights because of this.

I thought I had forgotten to take a picture of the wiring. It turns out I took some with my phone. Here is how I wired the horns before I covered the red wiring with cloth tape.

Wiring.JPG

Was installing seat covers today (CoverKing) and I popped the hood to see the rivets and what it would take to remove the upper plastic.....

Looked through the grill and saw 2 (TWO!) curled trumpet horns. I guess I can scratch that project. Still need to install the radiator screen.

2016 models are factory fitted with twin horns.

I think my CX5 horn is OK frequency wise but, needs to be much louder because of partially deaf elderly people in my town. I'm not into air compressor level horn but, need something very loud. Ed

Any junkyard would have charged you next to nothing for a horn ... save 50 bucks, and you're recycling. 🙂

I installed Hella Sharptone horns on my '17 CX-5 Sport, the only modification needed was installing ground wires for the horns to work properly.

VIu6VWF.jpg

On mine (and I assume others) the horn sounds when you hit the lock button twice. Hit it once and the doors lock and lights flash, but no horn. You could just do that. I never hit the button a second time. No reason to.

I hate the sound of the stock horn and was going to do this mod,but realize it's not a good idea to do for CX-5 Sport.

While the stock horn is quite pathetic for honking in pissed-off/emergency situation, I think it's too loud for locking the car. The Sport versions don't have the option to adjust the horn level when you lock the doors via remote.

Installing a PIAA horn on a CX-5 Sport would be too loud for locking the car...

The reason for the 2nd press of the button, and the horn honking, is to let you know that the ALARM is SET.....1 press of the button just locks the doors.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason for the 2nd press of the button, and the horn honking, is to let you know that the ALARM is SET.....1 press of the button just locks the doors.

This is not true. The second press, as Murky notes, is just a confirmation.

Here is what the manual says:
"How to Arm the System

1. Close the windows and the moonroof securely.
2. Press the push button start off.
3. Make sure the hood, the doors, and the liftgate are closed.
4. Press the lock button on the transmitter or lock the driver's door from the outside with the auxiliary key.

The hazard warning lights will flash once.

The following method will also arm the theft-deterrent system: Press the door-lock switch while
any door is open and then close all of the doors.

(With the advanced keyless function)
Press a request switch.
The security indicator light in the instrument panel flashes twice per second for 20 seconds.
Refer to Warning/Indicator Lights on .

5. After 20 seconds, the system is fully armed.

NOTE

• The theft deterrent system can also be armed by activating the auto relock function with all the doors, the liftgate and the hood closed.

• The system will disarm if one of the following operations takes place within 20 seconds after pressing the lock button:

• Unlocking a door.

• Any door or the liftgate is opened.

• The hood is opened.

• The ignition is switched on.

• (With the advanced keyless function) Press the electric liftgate opener while the key is being carried.

To rearm the system, do the arming procedure again.

• When the doors are locked by pressing the lock button on the transmitter or using the auxiliary key while the theft-deterrent system is armed, the hazard warning lights will flash once to indicate that the system is armed."

This is not true. The second press, as Murky notes, is just a confirmation.

Here is what the manual says:
"How to Arm the System

1. Close the windows and the moonroof securely.
2. Press the push button start off.
3. Make sure the hood, the doors, and the liftgate are closed.
4. Press the lock button on the transmitter or lock the driver's door from the outside with the auxiliary key.

The hazard warning lights will flash once.

The following method will also arm the theft-deterrent system: Press the door-lock switch while
any door is open and then close all of the doors.

(With the advanced keyless function)
Press a request switch.
The security indicator light in the instrument panel flashes twice per second for 20 seconds.
Refer to Warning/Indicator Lights on .

5. After 20 seconds, the system is fully armed.

NOTE

• The theft deterrent system can also be armed by activating the auto relock function with all the doors, the liftgate and the hood closed.

• The system will disarm if one of the following operations takes place within 20 seconds after pressing the lock button:

• Unlocking a door.

• Any door or the liftgate is opened.

• The hood is opened.

• The ignition is switched on.

• (With the advanced keyless function) Press the electric liftgate opener while the key is being carried.

To rearm the system, do the arming procedure again.

• When the doors are locked by pressing the lock button on the transmitter or using the auxiliary key while the theft-deterrent system is armed, the hazard warning lights will flash once to indicate that the system is armed."
You may be referring to a newer model. I'm referring to a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring. One press just locks the doors. 2 presses activates the alarm.

Latest posts

Back