Key fob battery life?

I had a small local Ace Hardware in Oradell make it. The guy making the key took it personally when his first attempt didn't work. He had to freehand some of the grooves a little deeper then the tracer on the machine would allow.

FYI, My local Mazda Dealer only charges $8 to cut the key. I did it with my old Mazda3 when I bought a Keyport Slide special key holder.
I just took it to the dealer parts dept, showed them my ID and Car registration, gave them the blank, and they took it to a special fully automatic machine where they type in the VIN# and it cuts the key automatically.

The dealer told us that the battery on your spare key will die quickly if you leave the fob in the car communicating with the vehicle. So the aluminum foil wrap ought to prevent this from happening, I hope! Of course, if it does die it is no big deal, since you can still start the car using a dead fob and then replace the batteries. The batteries aren't particularly cheap unless you buy them in quantity (like Amazon or some such).

Bopper, thank you! You may have just solved my dilemma. I need to leave the fob inside the car and unlock it with my spare key when I go surfing. Is wrapping the fob in tin foil safe?I'd hate to damage the fob. Or start a fire. (boom08)

Mine has been in there for two years. my main fob battery died after 2 years, so I changed all of them. No fires so far. Go run a test for yourself.

Back